Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Phatbox questions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 01:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phatbox questions?

For those of you that have one:
1. anyone have some good install pictures they could post back up for me most of the ones I came across were from the old site and aren't working anymore.

2. is the install pretty straightforward, I have a satellite receiver in my car so I would just have to pull the harness out of that and plug it into the phatbox?

3. is the unit small enough that it could be completely hidden away somewhere in the trunk, or will it have to be mounted along the side of the trunk either way? I know having it hidden will make it more complicated to update music because of having to remove the cartridge, but i'm still interested in it becoming a completely stealth install.

Old 03-22-2005, 08:19 AM
I have mine laying fla on the floor in the corner of the trunnk closest to where the SAT receiver is (rear passenger side).... haven't screwed it in yet. I really haven't found a suitable place on the sides of the trunk that would get it off the floor and still allow easy access to remove the cartridge.

Install is just that easy now, since (I believe) they're shipping the SAT cable connector. Unplug the XM/Sirius cable, plug that into the Phatbox adapter, and then the other end into the Phatbox itself. Done.

It's not all that big. Here's a pic.

Old 03-22-2005, 03:46 PM
when i do this will anyone be interesting in purchasing the oem xm receiver since I'll probably end up taking it out since it will be of no use to me?

Old 03-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2. yeah, it just plugs into the sat radio prewire plug using the sat prewire cable from phatnoise.

3.it might be possible to put it under the trunk mat area near where the sat tuner/bose amp goes. I haven't removed my cartridge in weeks.....really, once you get your music on there and organized, you will only need to access it to do uploads whenever you want to add something new.

Old 03-22-2005, 07:09 PM
nice, thats what i was hoping for I figured I'd only update it every few weeks anyway, so a little inconvience isn't a factor.

also, if anyone else is interested in buying a phatbox, I called them today with a question and the rep I spoke to said to look for a sale in the next few weeks. I don't know if I can resist on waiting to see what kind of deal they have though

Old 03-26-2005, 01:55 PM
For the sedan, another option is to install the Phatbox upside-down under the shelf between the passenger side back seat and the trunk lid; this may not work with the coupe. The space on the drivers side is already filled up with the Premium amplifier, and the middle space is occupied by the Bose sub-premium sub-woofer. With this installation location I don't need to worry about golf clubs or other cargo damaging the Phatbox.

I was not looking for a stealth installation, so I did not measure to see if the Phatbox would fit in-between the shelf and trim panel. Instead I chose to cut an opening in the trim panel and build a bracket to position the Phatbox just below the trim panel, for easy access to the DMS.

Attached Thumbnails Phatbox questions?-phatbox4.jpg