Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

help mounting the ipod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 12:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
advice needed re mounting my ipod

i got the ipod, belkin auto kit and the PAC unit. Now its time to choose a mounting option. My ideal is to have it mounted on the left side of the HU by my leg so i can see it easily and reach it easily. But how can i attach a mount to the paneling? I don't know if it is safe to drill and screw there or if something like double stick tape or industrial strength velcro will hold or if i can even route the wiring to that area. Please see the attached photo and let me know if any of you have ideas.

also it would be awesome to find a retractable cord device that i could use to wind up the belikn auto kit cord so I could grab the Ipod off the mount and keep it plugged in without a cord dangling when i put it back. Ever seen something like this? I looked at trying to use one from a retractable USB cord but it was too small.

Attached Thumbnails help mounting the ipod-image046.jpg  

Last edited by melodicskys; 04-13-2005 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:24 PM
at least does anyone know if the wiring can be routed here somehow?

Old 04-14-2005, 04:31 PM
I stopped looking awhile back when I was planning my install, but I have yet to see an "Ideal" Ipod install on the G. Some really cool/creative ones, but always a drawback, loss of cup-holder, security, dash mods, etc... As always, the wiring is the easy part, especially with the PAC.

The spot you indicate has been considered. I've seen modified cell phone mounts that tongue in between the dash and side split, roughly mounting the Ipod flush with the dash. Pretty clean, but still the cables. More mounting versatility, and cable concealing could probably be had by pushing the finished depth back and using the D-side/cig. lighter plate. It's easy to remove for fit-checking/tuning, plus the DC is handy. As I remember, 4080 (Of 4080 Sub-box fame) was testing interest for developing a custom molded piece to replace the snap-in side for integrating an Ipod. If so, you can expect the quality and finish to be exceptional. I can't remember if it was for the pasenger or driver side, or how far the effort got. It seems like since the 05's have MP3 capability, the Ipod focus has drifted.

I ended up taking an easy way, at least I thought. I'm using the PAC, with the Belkin auto adapter, with the Belkin (I think) cup holder mount. With the largest cup insert, and the bracket nearly all the way down, it mounts rather cleanly and snugly into the driver door cup slot. When inserted, the angle and height are roughly the same as the window controls. Visibility is good, and the buttons are easily accessible, although I wouldn't say ergonomic. The location is somewhat obscured from the outside, so it's not an obvious theft target, but I'll put it in the armrest if it's shady. Only thing is if it's raining, it could get wet when you open the door. I have a hard case so no worries. Note I also have an Ipod mini, so fit may be different. Routing through the door harness was a b!tch. Since my car is leased, I wanted to make sure any drilled holes were not readily noticeable. The hole in the door pocket is in the bottom, forward, inside corner, and no way will they even think to look there.

I'll get pictures of it one of these days. I have noticed that the Belkin auto mic jack distorts some frequencies of Bass. I use it for charging, as it conveniently pauses when the key is turned off. I kept forgetting when I used the docking station. I also wanted the volume adjust so I could match the level of the Ipod thru SAT vs. CD or radio. Turns out I the closest I could get was at max, which is roughly the same as the docking station line out. I switched to test, volume the same, distortion gone. I'm going to bypass the Belkin audio part of the charger and make my own line out. Sorry for the long post, many have been frustrated by the same issue.

Old 04-14-2005, 06:55 PM
good info. I think im going to just mount a metal bracket with some industrial velcro to the consol and then velcro the ipod to the bracket, the stuff i have is insanely strong. I also want to figure out how to build a retractable spring loaded reel for the cable, so i can grab the ipod and hand it to a passenger and have the cord pull out and retract but thats project II.

Old 04-15-2005, 12:26 AM
Have you checked out www.proclipusa.com? They don't list anything for the '05 G yet, but they do list '03 and '04. It's basically a metal clip that fits in between seams in the console.

Also, check out https://www.kuda-phonebase.com/html/shopindex.htm for a leather option.

Hope this helps,
Thomas