Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

My CleanSweep Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shadyg
Manville, thank for your input it’s nice to see a JL Rep here. I hope you did not take offense to my "expensive" LOC comment, I personally had very high expectations for the unit. I understand it performs its primary function "perfectly".

I've got a couple of questions:

1. So you would suggest a "passive" EQ as opposed to an EQ/linedriver. Any suggestions?

2. I currently have the signal sensing option off, because I have Navigation, and there are times I am using the NAV w/o my stereo on. I haven't tried it with the option on.

3. I have an iPod connected via a PAC unit through the SAT channel, I've noticed almost no sound (clarity and otherwise)difference between using the AUX input on the CleanSweep and through the SAT input, is there something I am missing, because, ideally I would love to disconnect the PAC unit and have Sat. Radio without losing function of my iPod (connected through CS's AUX) input. Unfortunately, my NAV will no longer work with my iPod but that is a sacrifice I can live with.

Thanks again for your response.
1) Well, there really is no such thing as a "passive" EQ... they all have gain stages. If you're referring to one with a volume control versus one without, I would use one without a volume control but with input and output level matching controls. AudioControl makes several nice ones at various price points.

2) How are you turning the CleanSweep on and off? Strictly with a switched ignition lead? Or did you find an amp turn on lead in your car?

3) Yeah, if you use the CleanSwep's aux input, you won't be able to hear the Nav, but it should sound a bit cleaner than the SAT input. If you don't mind losing the Nav voice while listening to the iPod, I would connect the iPod to the CleanSweep.

Best regards,

Manville Smith
JL Audio, Inc.

Old 07-08-2005, 11:17 PM
A CleanSweep Convert
Originally Posted by msmith954
1) Well, there really is no such thing as a "passive" EQ... they all have gain stages. If you're referring to one with a volume control versus one without, I would use one without a volume control but with input and output level matching controls. AudioControl makes several nice ones at various price points.

2) How are you turning the CleanSweep on and off? Strictly with a switched ignition lead? Or did you find an amp turn on lead in your car?

3) Yeah, if you use the CleanSwep's aux input, you won't be able to hear the Nav, but it should sound a bit cleaner than the SAT input. If you don't mind losing the Nav voice while listening to the iPod, I would connect the iPod to the CleanSweep.

Best regards,

Manville Smith
JL Audio, Inc.
Manville, currently I have the CS hooked up to the stock amp remote turn on, which basically is always on while the car in running, I think it is due to the NAV. It of course shuts off when the car is off. I must say the included light indicator is a bit too dim and nearly impossible to see during the daylight.

As far as EQ's go, I was referring to volume control, so I'll mostly likely be investing in some AudioControl units soon. So do you suggest refraining from adjusting the bass/teble on the HU?

I am going to hook up SAT radio this weekend, just in time for the hurricane, I don't mind losing the NAV when listening to the the iPod, it will be worth the gain in SAT radio.

Thanks agin for your input...

Last edited by shadyg; 07-08-2005 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:50 AM
You can still use the bass/treble controls on the head unit, but these are "blunt instruments" compared to a good EQ. If you get an EQ focus on freq.ranges that are too aggressive and tone them DOWN, as opposed to trying to boost ranges that seem weak. Avoid boosting any bands more than 2-3 dB. Good luck.

Best regards,

Manville Smith
JL Audio, Inc.

Old 07-09-2005, 10:07 PM
viv
Great discussion.

Last week I purchased an 05 G35 Coupe 6MT with factory Bose, Sat, and Nav (Weee).

I am not thrilled with the sound quality and need a solution to listen to my iPod without disconnecting the Sat or adding an FM Mod.

Option 1: full DD conversion and new HU.
Option 2: add a CS and use its Aux for the IPod.
Option 3: ?

If I go option 2, and keep the Bose amp and speakers, how will it sound?

I would like to spread out my upgrades, but in the end replace the speakers, add amps and a sub(s).

Old 07-10-2005, 10:12 AM
Viv...

The CleanSweep is not intended for those who wish to retain the factory amp and speakers. It is for those who intend to install aftermarket amps and speakers. If you're willing to consider replacing the dreadful stock speakers and also willing to put a good amp in, then the CleanSweep is an excellent way to do it.

Best regards,

Manville Smith
JL Audio, Inc.

Old 07-11-2005, 10:36 PM
Where to hook up sub line input?

Installing cleansweep, JL 500/5 amp, JL ZR's all around, and JL Stealthbox. My question is where to tap signal for the sub amp? Does a high to low converter work for the HU signal wires prior to the Cleansweep? or should I "Y" one of the low level signals coming from the Cleansweep? Thanks.

Old 07-11-2005, 10:57 PM
A CleanSweep Convert
Originally Posted by AC G35
Installing cleansweep, JL 500/5 amp, JL ZR's all around, and JL Stealthbox. My question is where to tap signal for the sub amp? Does a high to low converter work for the HU signal wires prior to the Cleansweep? or should I "Y" one of the low level signals coming from the Cleansweep? Thanks.

I split the rear channel coming from the cleansweep to run to my Sub Amp. I do not think there is a need for a HiLow converter. The CleanSweep seems to provide ample voltage to my Sub-amp, if its too weak for you, just get a simple line driver after the CleanSweep, not before. Hope that helps.

Old 07-12-2005, 02:15 AM
Thanks ShadyG,
If it worked for you it should be fine for me. I don't need to much power for the stealthbox, the 500/5 amp's class D isn't pushing anything outrageous so if that works, that's how I'll connect it.
Thanks again, AC

Old 07-12-2005, 10:48 AM
Just flip the "Input From" switch on the sub channel section to "F+R". You don't need to connect a cable to the sub channel input... it will grab signal from the sum of the front and rear channel inputs.

Best regards,

Manville Smith
JL Audio, Inc.

Old 07-12-2005, 11:43 AM
A CleanSweep Convert
Originally Posted by msmith954
Just flip the "Input From" switch on the sub channel section to "F+R". You don't need to connect a cable to the sub channel input... it will grab signal from the sum of the front and rear channel inputs.

Best regards,

Manville Smith
JL Audio, Inc.

Good call, I didn't notice it was a five channel Amp, I running two seperate amps and the split kept the install cleaner for me.

Old 07-12-2005, 02:39 PM
Thanks, that saved me some more install time, nice to have JL Rep to talk to on this forum.

Old 07-12-2005, 05:23 PM
Bose system and cleansweep

First let me apologize in advance, I am new to this forum and to trying to upgrade my car audio system. I’ve been reading some of the g35 driver forums as well as the Car Sound and Performance forums. There were several posts concerning Bose audio systems in the Car Sound and Performance forums and how they might interface with the Cleansweep. One poster stated that all Bose systems have flat outputs from the head units and that all the equalization was done in the power amp. In addtion, the volume, tone control and other functions are controlled by sending a signal from the head unit to the amplifier over a message bus and the head unit itself has a fixed voltage output. Mr. Smith responded to these posts and agreed that, in at least some cases (maybe all), the system EQ occurs in the amplifier and the head unit output is not controlled by the volume control.
If this is the case, it seems that installing the Cleansweep between the head unit and amp, as stated in the review, would have little effect on producing a flat output, because the head amp already has a flat output and the EQ occurs in the amp. However, it seems shadyg replaced the stock Bose amp and therefore wouldn’t need any EQ to flatten the response. In addition, being a bit in the dark about how things work, I asked myself how you would control a third party amplifier if you wanted to replace the Bose amp and keep the head amp . If you need a message bus for volume and tone control how are these functions implemented? Do you need an additional equalizer with a volume control? Can you still use the head amp and steering wheel controls (it would seem not)? If anyone can shed some light on this situation, I would appreciate the information. Thanks

Old 07-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Florida G35 Club
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, that saved me some more install time, nice to have JL Rep to talk to on this forum.
Manville is more than just a 'JL rep.' He is a leader in the audio industry and he works for one of the best audio companies around. I have had the privilege (for over a decade) of using the JL Audio products as a consumer and competitor, an authorized dealer, and as a JL Audio Rep in Florida. From my experience, all JL Audio products are designed with sound quality as the guiding influence and I have never been disappointed. Based on JL's reputation as well as Manville's and Lucio Proni's, I decided to use the Cleansweep in my system long before I ever heard it perform. As soon as I find the time, my JL Audio system gets installed in my G. My advice to anyone, give the Cleansweep a chance, I know you won't be disappointed. Thanks.

Old 07-12-2005, 09:30 PM
A CleanSweep Convert
He is JL Audio’s V.P. of Marketing among numerous other accomplishments (I googled ya)

Manville, maybe I can meet up with you so that you can approve my installation so that I get the 3 year warranty

Old 07-13-2005, 01:43 PM
Finished Install- My review

Finished install at 1 in the morning. Airbag light started blinking after I was finished and took awhile trying to diagnose it rather than just going to the forum and getting the immediate fix.

First Thoughts:

I am not what you would probably consider an "audiophile". I'm more the type that believes in getting the best equipment I can afford at the time. I also like to make everything match by brand (stupid quirk).

Anyways, I have JL ZR's up front and in the rear sides, JL Cleansweep, JL 500/5 amp, and the JL Stealthbox. Obviously the ZR's are incredible, very loud and clear. I mounted the amp centered on the back of my rear seat, looks very nice. It would be nice if JL made amp cover's for when your amp is exposed flat, maybe some velcro on the bottom for the cover to stay in place, anyways the amp's gain is up only about half way, and my cleansweep master volume control is up half way when the sound is as high as I can handle it!!

The most surprising thing for me has been the JL Stealthbox - one 10" sub. For the efficiency of size and space, it sounds incredible. I read posts majorly capping on it so I was a little worried about it, but my dealer/friend just kept me motivated and said wait till you hear it. Once installed, for me it is all I need. True - it's not a W7, but I wanted as much trunk space as possible. Prior to this I had two Memphis 8" subs with a Memphis class D amp. Big difference.

JL did neglect to mention in the brochures that this Stealthbox will put a hump in your trunk. It does not mount flat, when I called JL Customer service they pretty much just told me, yeah what did you expect? we had to have some room for the sub to work. Understandable, just let me know this because "stealth" is one of the major selling and advertising points that convinced me to buy this. Anyways, once installed, the sub faces down about 1" from the floor of the trunk and essentially makes your whole trunk a box.

As for the cleansweep, it's was very simple to calibrate. I couldn't wait to push the EQ Defeat to hear the difference it made, but suffice to say my ears could not tell any noticeable difference. I must remember I am running an awesome amp into top of the line speakers and as I said before, I am not an "audiophile". My friend/dealer says he could tell a little difference, but he's gotta say something positive after all the money I just handed over.

Overall - I definitely can hear an extreme difference the entire upgrade made. I do believe I am getting the absolute best sound quality as possible, so overall I am extremely happy with the entire system.

If anyone has any suggestions on tweaking the Cleansweep to where there is an obvious difference, please let me know. But I must say, the EQ defeat mode sounds pretty good with the rest of the JL Stuff.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My CleanSweep Review