Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much boom?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 02:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy How much boom?

Ok... Just bought my '04 AT DP Coupe... I'm lovin it.

I have the upgraded Bose system in it, which is just so-so. Also, there is no NAV. My goal is to get NAV, a modded Xbox in the trunk, and a nice thumpin' stereo system. I'd like to keep as much of the trunk space as possible, and am not willing to lose the spare tire. (I've got a wife and kids ... which means sometimes I'll need to throw a good amount of stuff in the trunk.)

I've pretty much already decided on the Eclipse NAV... and now I just need to figure out exactly what I want to put in as far as the subs/amps etc. I'm NOT trying to build a system that shakes the neighbors windows as I drive by, but I do appreciate a nice sounding system and like to hear good clean bass. The current system ALMOST gets me where I want to be, but at higher volumes the bass just doesn't hit loud enough for me.

My audio install place nearby recommended something like this:

Eclipse 5435 - $1827
PAC (so the stearing wheel controls will work still) - $79
Double Din kit from Japan (they will order) - $280
ARC 8D2 Subs (8") x 3 - $303 total (101 each)
ARC 5150 AMP - $478
Custom Box w/ matching carpet - $250
Inverter (for Xbox) - $70
Labor (including misc parts and gameport for Xbox for easy removal) - $350
Total with tax = $3865.00

Basically, they want to build a custom box for the trunk that with three 8" woofers that goes right behind the seat. Somebody I was talking to told me three 8"'s won't get me much improvement at all.

Another option... I did some research and found a guy on this forum that built a custom cabinet that goes right next to the spare tire and is covered by the carpet. It doesn't take away ANY turnk space. However, it will fit only one sub (either an 8 or a 10). I kind of like that idea b/c it saves trunk space but again, i'm not sure if it will get me enough bass.

If I go with either of the above options, the install place recommended I get a 5 channel amp so that the quality of sound coming from the remaining stock speakers is improved. Is that true? Will it be noticable? The other benefit of this I suppose is that later I can upgrade my interior speakers and get better sound from em.... ???

The other option I can think of that would be a heck of a lot cheaper is to just ditch the idea of a custom box, subs, and amp... and just get a tube sub.

Desperate for some advice and input on this whole thing. I don't want to shell out $4k on this system, when I could do it for $2800 (Eclipse plus tube sub) and get a comparable sound. Is it really worth the difference in cost to get an amp and custom installed sub(s)?

Thoughts welcome...

Old 08-18-2005, 03:02 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Bass in the coupe usually means the 4080 box or an Infinity Basslink if you want to preserve trunk space. If you want more boom, most will recommend the 4080 with a 10 inch sub. Just get the right AMP and you should be fine. Have your installers put everything around the spare tire area if you can so you can still fold down the seats if you need to. (There are large space occupying plastic parts to the left and right of the spare tire that can be removed and that space utilized).

gl!

Old 08-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Will one 10" sub be enough? Or would three 8"'s be a lot better?

Old 08-18-2005, 03:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think 1 10" is definitely enough, depending on the sub and the power from the amp.

Old 08-18-2005, 04:05 PM
If one 10 is enough... how much better performance will I get installing a $500 amp and custom subbox vs just getting a much cheaper tube?

Old 08-18-2005, 05:49 PM
JesusFreak,
You have a PM.

Old 08-18-2005, 06:27 PM
Rollin On Dubz
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The most popular choice for everyone with a coupe on this forum is to go with 1 10" sub.