Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Please let me know if I'm way off!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After reading through the previous posts, I feel like I need to confirm my understanding of the hookup of this amp...

Basically I need an LC6 (or comparable LOC) to grab the signal from the HU prior to amp, which will give me the ability to run the RCAs to my amp. From the new amp, I will need to run new speaker cables out to the doors in order to hookup the new crossover which then obviously runs to the speakers. Another option, probably being to pull the existing wires from the OEM amp and hook them up directly to the new crossover and then the only new wiring would be from the amp to the crossover, which could be installed in the trunk near to the amp and eliminate some work there. Is this understanding correct?

Old 08-30-2005, 02:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by audiphile
Another option, probably being to pull the existing wires from the OEM amp and hook them up directly to the new crossover
If by this you mean you can take the existing wires that WERE running between the stock amp and the stock speakers and hook them from your NEW amp to your new crossovers, yes will work. When I had my 97 Mustang (pity me) that powered the speakers directly from the stock HU in the dash, I spliced into the speaker wires in the dash and ran 4 new speaker wires to my trunk and connected those to my amp. It was easier for me to run new speaker wires from the dash to the trunk then try and fish new speaker wires from my trunk to all the speaker locations. Looking back I wouldn't do it that same way again.

Thankfully in the G35 all of our speaker wiring is conveniently already in our trunk, so it's not the same situation. Makes me

Old 08-30-2005, 02:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sure, but then you have the crappy Bose amp powering your nice, expensive aftermarket speakers.....wait I just re-read the post, that might be fine, but the stock wiring is only 18awg at best. If you are pushing 150w per channel, you are going to want to upgrade that. Don't get sucked into the super platinum plated 12 guage twisted quadruple shielded neon glowing wiring crap though. Regular 16 guage OFC speaker wire is fine in most applications, except for extreme competition systems.

Last edited by khsonic03; 08-30-2005 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a JL 500/5 and am debating on using the LC6 as my LOC since I want to keep the stock HU. I'll be installing Diamond S600s in the door, and something cheaper in the back 6.5 positions along with an Alpine sub. My question is are the 6x9 signals included in the head unit output, or are they generated at the Bose amp? If there are 2 separate rear outputs (one for 6.5 and one for 6x9) can I use the 6x9 output as the sub input on the LC6? If there are only the four inputs, (LF, RF, LR, RR) is there really any advantage to using the LC6 over a cheaper LOC that only has the 4 outputs like the Navone? I don't see anywhere on the 500/5 that accepts speaker level inputs, only RCAs.

Old 09-07-2005, 01:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The HU has F and R full-range preamp outputs (not speaker level). The sub signals are filtered internal to the amp.

DO NOT use the LC6 on the HU OP! It is for speaker level outputs. THe HU OP is NOT speaker level! Ergo, no need for an LC6.

Your JL amp is supposed to take balanced inputs per their statements and my experience with "slash" amps. I don't see that you need an LOC at all. I'd take a 1M to 2F RCA "Y" adpater, hack the male end off, and strip it and connect that directly to the amp harness - and then run an RCA from the female end to your 500/5.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.