Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Using PDA/Pocket PC with DigitalWheelz or similar screens

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using PDA/Pocket PC with DigitalWheelz or similar screens

Hi there,
Is it possible to use PDA/Pocket PC with DigitalWheelz or similar screens? If it is possible wouldn't it be much easier and convenient than using a laptop or a carputer?

Old 09-15-2005, 08:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes it is possible. For one, Toshiba makes a pocketPC with a VGA out on it. There is also a CompactFlash card that gives you a VGA output. Both solutions will not get you the native widescreen resolution on the xenarc or any other 7" widescreen LCD.

Old 09-16-2005, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by amthar
Yes it is possible. For one, Toshiba makes a pocketPC with a VGA out on it. There is also a CompactFlash card that gives you a VGA output. Both solutions will not get you the native widescreen resolution on the xenarc or any other 7" widescreen LCD.
Sorry for a stupid question, but what do U mean by "will not get you the native widescreen resolution on the xenarc or any other 7" widescreen LCD". Any images how the screen will appear? Has anyone does such a setup?

Old 09-16-2005, 02:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The native resolution of the Xenarc 700TSV or any 7" Xenarc display, and pretty much any 7" VGA screen in general is 800x480. Video drivers are not commonly made to support this driver. Instead you have to use some video tweaking applications (such as Powerstrip [google powerstrip and video card to find it]) to try and force your video card to properly display 800x480. Unfortunately many many many many bizarre video cards (including most onboard/embedded chipsets) do not support even the use of video tweaking applications (such as Powerstrip). Plus I'm unaware of any tweaking applications for PocketPC. You would be forced to display whatever resolutions the PocketPC (or PocketPC add-on card) supported and hoped it looks OK on the Xenarc. Currently I am using 800x600 and the graphics look slightly stretched vertically. It's not that bad but I'm too picky so I'm working on fixing the problem with a new platform /w new vid card. If the PocketPC (or add-on card) supported 640x480 or 800x600 it probably would work, but your level of satisfaction on the end product may not be where you want it.

check out http://www.mp3car.com/vbulliten , it's a GREAT site and the people know a TON. They will, however, flame you to death if you ask a question before searching the forums and has been covered before.

Last edited by amthar; 09-16-2005 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:35 PM
Thanks amthar. Has anyone tried this combination though?

Originally Posted by amthar
The native resolution of the Xenarc 700TSV or any 7" Xenarc display, and pretty much any 7" VGA screen in general is 800x480. Video drivers are not commonly made to support this driver. Instead you have to use some video tweaking applications (such as Powerstrip [google powerstrip and video card to find it]) to try and force your video card to properly display 800x480. Unfortunately many many many many bizarre video cards (including most onboard/embedded chipsets) do not support even the use of video tweaking applications (such as Powerstrip). Plus I'm unaware of any tweaking applications for PocketPC. You would be forced to display whatever resolutions the PocketPC (or PocketPC add-on card) supported and hoped it looks OK on the Xenarc. Currently I am using 800x600 and the graphics look slightly stretched vertically. It's not that bad but I'm too picky so I'm working on fixing the problem with a new platform /w new vid card. If the PocketPC (or add-on card) supported 640x480 or 800x600 it probably would work, but your level of satisfaction on the end product may not be where you want it.

check out http://www.mp3car.com/vbulliten , it's a GREAT site and the people know a TON. They will, however, flame you to death if you ask a question before searching the forums and has been covered before.