Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

DigitalWheelz 2005 G35 Screen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 12:01 PM
StreetDeck.com Developer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DigitalWheelz 2005 G35 Screen

A 2005 compatible model of the DigitalWheelz Screen Housing is now being manufactured. It will look alot like the current 2003/04 model. It will use the same exact aluminum frame, the housing it sits in is completely different. The new housing now constructed completely out of aluminum instead of plexiglass and will have a black textured power coat. The frame itself will only be sold in its raw brushed aluminum color, like the 03/04 model.

The 2005 housing will also be much much easier to install, in fact, I think I can probably do it in under an hour. The 03/04 took closer to 3. This is due to the fact that it is much easier to remove the 05 head unit and to the improvements in the 05 housing. The housing now mounts in an easier and quicker way and the infrared sensor for the remote for the screen is now integrated directly into the housing so the additional wire does not have to be run. The housing will not require any cutting to install or any other modification to the G35 interior and can be completely removed without any permenant damage.

The 05 housing is slightly more expensive to make, but I have increased production capacity to offset this so the pricing will probably be the same as the current 03/04 model.

I haven't posted any new information on the digitalwheelz site, but you can find out more information about the current housing, most of which should hold true for the 05 model at http://www.digitalwheelz.com

I expect the completed housings to go on sale in December. I may set up preorders a month before that.

I have attached a picture of the prototype of the 2005 housing. Be aware this is just a prototype made from MDF and not permenantly mounted. The actual housing will be black and look much more integrated.

Attached Thumbnails DigitalWheelz 2005 G35 Screen-g35.jpg  
Old 09-24-2005, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SWEET! Looks like it matches the factory aluminum well! Can't wait to get mine.

Old 09-24-2005, 01:16 PM
Looks like you could probably fit an 8" screen in the 05 cubby

Old 09-24-2005, 10:17 PM
Many thanks! I can't wait for this! If only I had a garage so that I could install this in the dead of winter

Old 09-24-2005, 11:30 PM
cool... great news..

Old 09-25-2005, 04:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
looks nice, I think I will order one, when will they be ready to ship?

Old 09-25-2005, 01:21 PM
StreetDeck.com Developer
Originally Posted by dwoloz
Looks like you could probably fit an 8" screen in the 05 cubby
Not easily, the problem is that the housing has to be a certain width so the top cover can be put into place. That and the height of a 7" screen just barely allows the screen to be hidden.

Old 09-26-2005, 03:46 AM
Hi GOC
Is it the photo or me, but somehow the screen doesn’t appear to be properly aligned (horizontally). I mean it somehow appears to be skewed a bit to the left. I am sure it is just the photo....

Old 09-26-2005, 09:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by anandah
Hi GOC
Is it the photo or me, but somehow the screen doesn’t appear to be properly aligned (horizontally). I mean it somehow appears to be skewed a bit to the left. I am sure it is just the photo....
Originally Posted by god_of_cpu
I have attached a picture of the prototype of the 2005 housing. Be aware this is just a prototype made from MDF and not permenantly mounted. The actual housing will be black and look much more integrated.
My guess is that it's a prototype

Old 09-26-2005, 10:50 AM
StreetDeck.com Developer
Originally Posted by anandah
Hi GOC
A number of things are slightly skewed in the picture, but its just a prototype and one that was modified a number of times to get to the final design. The above picture was posted to show the basic concept and a rough idea of the look. The prototype was only built to to prove some design elements and lacks the intricacy and precision that the final product will have. In any case, the final product will be machine cut and should align with everything perfectly so it won't be skewed.

Last edited by god_of_cpu; 09-26-2005 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by god_of_cpu
A number of things are slightly skewed in the picture, but its just a prototype and one that was modified a number of times to get to the final design. The above picture was posted to show the basic concept and a rough idea of the look. The prototype was only built to to prove some design elements and lacks the intricacy and precision that the final product will have. In any case, the final product will be machine cut and should align with everything perfectly so it won't be skewed.
Thanks for the reply.. I guess I am too excited to see the 2005 solution in action :-). I will wait for this housing to go into production.

Old 09-26-2005, 05:14 PM
thanks for making this available for 2005's . great news

Old 09-26-2005, 10:00 PM
Is there going to be a complete off-the-shelf package for the '05s? I'd want the touch screen, nav, ODB, DVD (a separate player in the cubby since I assume the cpu is trunk mounted) as well as audio into my Bose (or future) HU. I'd rather go this route than the AVIC-D1 DD conversion.

Thanks!
sd_diver

Old 09-27-2005, 04:16 PM
StreetDeck.com Developer
Originally Posted by sd_diver
Is there going to be a complete off-the-shelf package for the '05s? I'd want the touch screen, nav, ODB, DVD (a separate player in the cubby since I assume the cpu is trunk mounted) as well as audio into my Bose (or future) HU. I'd rather go this route than the AVIC-D1 DD conversion.

Thanks!
sd_diver
We are working on it. A complete package will come out at some time, but whether it will be at the same time as the 2005 is released is not certain yet.

Old 09-27-2005, 04:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I also want a complete package!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DigitalWheelz 2005 G35 Screen