Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Another satisfied AVIC-D1 owner... plus pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another satisfied AVIC-D1 owner... plus pics

Well, I am finally getting around to posting the pictures of my install. I took a trip to Kentucky last week so I wasn't able to get these up sooner. I was glad, however, to get the install done before the drive. The nav did a great job of getting me everywhere I was going, plus the vicinity search was awesome for finding food, gas, etc. The DVD player was also nice to keep me and my passenger entertained for the long drive. Between the Ipod, MP3 CD's, movie DVD's, music DVD's, and even video games there was never a dull moment!

On the way back home, we decided to take a detour to the National Corvette Museum. I punched it into the nav, it routed, and we were on our way. This thing is perfect for long drives. Rather than fumble with maps and being constantly on the lookout for those hidden turns, I just sat back and enjoyed the entertainment... highly recommended!

Anyway, here's some pics:

Car and finished install

Misc install pictures

I really didn't get to do pictures step by step like I wanted to because I was a little pressed for time. I would be happy to answer any questions though if someone is trying the install and gets stuck. Things went really smooth and I'm quite happy!

Old 10-02-2005, 08:28 PM
Awesome! Congrats on a real clean install. That's the HU I'm planning on getting.
Great pics.

Old 10-02-2005, 09:00 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great documentation of an install. It looks clean and sweet. Where did you get that ring bracket so that the AVID-D1 fits so well?

Old 10-02-2005, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by KsharK
Well, I am finally getting around to posting the pictures of my install. I took a trip to Kentucky last week so I wasn't able to get these up sooner. I was glad, however, to get the install done before the drive. The nav did a great job of getting me everywhere I was going, plus the vicinity search was awesome for finding food, gas, etc. The DVD player was also nice to keep me and my passenger entertained for the long drive. Between the Ipod, MP3 CD's, movie DVD's, music DVD's, and even video games there was never a dull moment!

On the way back home, we decided to take a detour to the National Corvette Museum. I punched it into the nav, it routed, and we were on our way. This thing is perfect for long drives. Rather than fumble with maps and being constantly on the lookout for those hidden turns, I just sat back and enjoyed the entertainment... highly recommended!

Anyway, here's some pics:

Car and finished install

Misc install pictures

I really didn't get to do pictures step by step like I wanted to because I was a little pressed for time. I would be happy to answer any questions though if someone is trying the install and gets stuck. Things went really smooth and I'm quite happy!
I noticed you had removed your lower glove box. Do you currently have an 'airbag' light which flashes below your 'put on seatbelt' light?? I took apart my dash on the weekend and had that annoying light come on. Theres a way to turn it off, God_of_CPU showed me a link on how it was done. Lemme know if you need it!!

Old 10-02-2005, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by vrsc
Where did you get that ring bracket so that the AVID-D1 fits so well?
Ditto. I've been trying to figure out how to get mine to fit.

Old 10-02-2005, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by vrsc
Great documentation of an install. It looks clean and sweet. Where did you get that ring bracket so that the AVID-D1 fits so well?
Thanks. The trim ring is included with the unit, but see below...

Originally Posted by SilverMtZion
Ditto. I've been trying to figure out how to get mine to fit.
There are several options for a clean fit. You can sand the trim ring to fit or mount the trim ring behind the new DD dash piece. With either option you also have to modify the factory bracket slightly to center the unit. If you choose to mount the trim ring behind the dash piece, you also need to modify it slightly to allow the trim ring to sit flush. Depending on which way you decide to go the modifcations will vary.

Old 10-02-2005, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by pdjafari
I noticed you had removed your lower glove box. Do you currently have an 'airbag' light which flashes below your 'put on seatbelt' light?? I took apart my dash on the weekend and had that annoying light come on. Theres a way to turn it off, God_of_CPU showed me a link on how it was done. Lemme know if you need it!!
Nope, that light has never come on. Knock on wood...