Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

video iPod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
video iPod

oh man, apples new video ipod will be ultra sweet to mod into a car. I want to do that mod where on a coupe with no navi, you cut a hole for the ipod in the top of the navi door thing and have the ipod standing up there on your dash. then you can play crazy music videos, tv shows, etc. I guess I'll have to research on car ipod connecters. I'm guessing I may have to wait for new video ipod car connecters to come out? Oh man, I guess I'll finally have to buy an ipod!

Old 10-13-2005, 11:59 AM
So I did some searching and the general setup that people use is to have a regular ipod dock, connect a belkin car adapter to it (for audio and power charging), and get a PAC-AAIS to connect the audio to the car. There is a belkin car adapter for the new ipod out already, so this setup should work. I was wondering if anyone can specifically tell me what the SWI-X will allow me to do with my ipod? will it allow to skip songs and do general navigation? I didn't see anything very specific about this in my search.

Old 10-13-2005, 12:00 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dude... you really need to start posting in the right forums.

Old 10-13-2005, 12:14 PM
I am waiting for the ipod to come with bluetooth!

Old 10-13-2005, 12:55 PM
sorry, I'll try and post in the right forum next time.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:11 PM
I think this new Video iPod is absolutely stupid. The only use I can see for myself every using it is to watch TV shows on it... but I don't think I'm patient enough to 1.) find the show 2.) decode it down to fit and look correct on the iPod. Sure they'll by iVideos or whatever they are going to call it... iShows, whatever. But I doubt they'll have the shows I would WANT to watch on the go (ex: Galactica, mythbusters, colbert report) . Just stupid ABC/Disney shows I could care less about.

I'm not saying you are stupid Briphi, and I'm not saying your mod is stupid. I think it's a sweet idea for anyone who likes the video iPod or can see themselves using it frequently.

Maybe apple will change my mind. If they put out some freaking sweet encoding software for encoding/loading captured shows, I might think about getting one.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by amthar
I think this new Video iPod is absolutely stupid. The only use I can see for myself every using it is to watch TV shows on it... but I don't think I'm patient enough to 1.) find the show 2.) decode it down to fit and look correct on the iPod. Sure they'll by iVideos or whatever they are going to call it... iShows, whatever. But I doubt they'll have the shows I would WANT to watch on the go (ex: Galactica, mythbusters, colbert report) . Just stupid ABC/Disney shows I could care less about.

I'm not saying you are stupid Briphi, and I'm not saying your mod is stupid. I think it's a sweet idea for anyone who likes the video iPod or can see themselves using it frequently.

Maybe apple will change my mind. If they put out some freaking sweet encoding software for encoding/loading captured shows, I might think about getting one.
+1

what is the interest of hooking up a measily 2.5" lcd screen in form of an ipod to your car?? why not get a nice double din conversion or modify your navigation and play movies through it? not to mention... who is gonna pay 1.99 for a tv show download when i can record the crap for free off my satellite box at home? apple has lost its mind lately. btw... there's another duplicate topic floating around the new hip 'lounge' -> https://g35driver.com/forums/lounge-off-topic/70880-new-ipod-plays-video.html

Old 10-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Well I'm not dissing installing the iPod in your car. I think a video iPod is a drastically different "solution" then a DD conversion with a DVD player. A video iPod in a car is more like a carPC solution. DD with DVD won't let you play TV or music videos or whatever... regardless if you have to pay $1.99 (or whatever) or not.

I see it as one of those novelties. Like "hey check it out, I have an iPod video integrated into my car." How useful it is I think is comparable to spinner rims. I'd never do either but I'd probably go "heh, that's neat" if I saw an integrated iPod video just like I go "heh, that's neat" when I see spinner rims.

I'd much rather go with a more compatible "plays well with others" solution for a portable video player. Like attaching a laptop hard drive to a Ipaq or other pocketPC (yes, the laptop HDD can be powered by a battery pack to provide it with as much playing life as a iPod). Better/larger screen, more functionality beyond that of an iPod AND it would integrate very nicely with both my home PCs and my car PC... I'd think of it as a portable extension of both... not THE primary video portion of either.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:48 PM
A lot of people who hook it up will do it for the novelty of it. The video ipod comes with a TV hook-up interface, people will hook it up to the DVD/nav screen.

Think about it; load a few movies and mp3's on the video ipod and hook it up to your navi screen and audio. Not too shabby; I can see some people doing that.

The users for "video ipods" will be a lot less, Apple has previously released many statements in the past expressing pessimism on the portable video market, but ipod's main competitors already have video players and Apple needed to release something to keep anyone from getting too much of an edge.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:50 PM
OK, you guys aren't thinking this thing through. Amthar- sure they don't have the shows you want now, but they will. When the iTMS first came out they didn't have much music I liked, but they grew. I forsee them eventually having nearly all of TV shows. Furthermore, I want this for my car to play music video, which they do have a very good selection of. Moreover, it's not just about watching on the go, it's about hooking it upto a TV and playing it through TV out. Also, you guys with the DVR's saying I can just record it with that for free- well where's your recordings of season 1 of lost? My point being, if you didn't record things that happend in the past, you can't record them now. The store is about buying things that have already happend that you have forgotten to record.

Giddyup69- the point is that the ipod mod would be simple. It would cost much more to hook up the ipod and get the double din stuff, esp. because I'd need that dual climate control etc. And I have no navi. I'd be getting an ipod for music anyway, so might as well make the ipod viewable while mounted in the car.

I think apple is doing things perfectly right. And you don't think the video is capability is worth it? Last time I checked ipod price hasn't changed at all. Apple is giving you more slick features for free. I"m pretty sure apple knows what it's doing, and we'll see here in the next few months if that's true.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:02 PM
... DD with DVD won't let you play TV or music videos or whatever...
actually u can. just burn your shows or music video's to a dvd and then pop it in. it's virtually the same thing except on a disc not on a hd. but u have a good point with the carputer. i think u would get more utility out of it.

briphi - u have a good point too with the ease of hook up. then again i still wouldn't want to watch a video on that thing. the screen is just too small for the car.

overall... i think there are far more better devices to play video through then the ipod with video. for example... iriver has a multimedia device out that let's u record shows onto it using tivo... and it also has the standard vid/audio outputs. apple really needs to add recording functionality to its devices. but they love there drm just as much as microsoft does... so i don't see that happening any time soon. like u guys said... it's a simple novelty that they added on i don't see any true functionality to it.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by briphi
I forsee them eventually having nearly all of TV shows.
A Le Carte purchasing, downloading and playing of TV shows is very different from downloading and playing of music. TV Show Producers sell their shows to a network, the network then makes money by selling ad space (ie: commercials). Finally the broadcast is brought into your home by cable/sat providers (or good old fashion UHF airwaves if you're oldschool like that).

The networks don't care HOW their broadcasts get to the home user. They don't care if it's from a satellite or a wire in the ground. What they care about is you watching their shows so that you watch their ads, so they get their money. If a show isn't drawing viewers, it isn't drawing ad response, which means advertisers don't want to advertise during that time slot, which means they drop that show for something more attractive.

With this in mind, networks have VERY little incentive to take TV shows and make them downloadable... it devalues the ad space. First, if I'm paying $1.99 for a TV show, should I be OK with a commercial being included in it? If so, realize that you're going to have commericials on your iPod. Secondly, if I can go to iTunes and download a TV show, sure they could include some ads into the TV show on my iPod, but that's one viewer who is NOT watching the actual show on TV, which means I'm NOT watching the ads. Advertising companies get really hinky about stuff like this. Why don't you see a show that's still running new episodes on more than one network? Why don't you think they haven't put "last week's episode" on a website for download already? More money from playing re-runs with commercials than putting it out for someone to download and burn and watch whenever they want.

When no more money can be made in re-runs... HOME DVDs! WOOHOO (sarcasm).

Why do you think they have Disney shows so quickly available for the iPod? easy, Disney doesn't have commercials.

This is opposed to music, which has no commercials. The more ways they can sell a song, the better. If they can sell one song to apple for $x who turns around and sells it to you for $y, that's $x and $y-x that was generated that might not have been otherwise. The music industry has learned that the internet is not going away. The video industry has not.

it's about hooking it upto a TV and playing it through TV out.
This is interesting to me, as I did not realize it had TV-OUT. I'd like to know the video quality of the output. Resolution, supported codecs, refresh rate, aspect ratio, etc.

Also, you guys with the DVR's saying I can just record it with that for free- well where's your recordings of season 1 of lost? My point being, if you didn't record things that happend in the past, you can't record them now. The store is about buying things that have already happend that you have forgotten to record.
Read the above stuff... doesn't really work that way with video.

Expect "Web Shows" to be what (if anything) makes iPod video a hit. Maybe new shows will work out an agreement with IPod, but I doubt it because the networks will have to be involved in the discussions too.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by giddyup69
actually u can. just burn your shows or music video's to a dvd and then pop it in.
I know this. I think it's a bit cumbersome and time-intensive to think anyone would do this on a regular basis without getting frustrated and looking for a new setup. Maybe that's just me

Old 10-13-2005, 02:51 PM
I know this. I think it's a bit cumbersome and time-intensive to think anyone would do this on a regular basis without getting frustrated and looking for a new setup. Maybe that's just me
that's true... then again i don't see the novelty of playing movies on my dash anyways. i use my car for one purpose.... to drive. if i wanna watch a movie i'll do it either at home on my great entertainment system or at the local theater... and not on my ipod, psp, or other vidamabob.

Old 10-13-2005, 03:01 PM
watching video in cars is more useful for passengers than drivers, but is also nice while in traffic jams (can you play DVD's in the navi while driving?).

Amthar, doesn't LOST and desperate house wives have commercials during it? If it does, then they managed to bring that to the ipod. If ABC can do it, what's stopping other providers?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: video iPod