Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Parrot CK3100 & Bose . Success!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parrot CK3100 & Bose . Success!

Hey Folks -

Just wanted to let you know there is a very easy way to make this work - and my installer did it yesterday.

First, I am riding a g35x w/ Bose, using a Treo 650, and bought a Parrot CK3100. After doing a lot of research across this forum and many others, I've decided to post the solution we used and where I got the information.

In summary, simply use the Mute output of the CK3100 to shut down the amp driving the speakers. And use two wires of the CK3100 to drive the output of the front speakers in the car. As you know, you don't want to tap into the AMP's input as will degrade the quality of music coming out of the head-unit (noise would only get amplified).

I found everything I really needed for the installer on these two posts:

Work around for Bose Amplified that was used ...
Using an ISO connector approach may also work - so here is the part you need
And yet another approach to drive the solution, requires more cutting
Setting up the Treo 650 w/ the CK3100

Now you do need to run a wire all the way from the headunit to the amp that sits in the back of the car, and then back again... but that didn't seem to be too big a challenge. He installed the control unit of the Parrot on the flip-up above the head-unit (where the DVD/Nav screen would go). I will post pictures when I get home.

After tweaking the system input/outputs a bit, everything is working very well!

Cheers!

Old 10-27-2005, 11:03 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad it's all working so well.

Your installer is weak if he couldn't figger that out. We install these things all the time : )

Old 10-27-2005, 11:44 AM
Duderino, I've seen a lot of your posts. You are the mack on this stuff.

Yah the installer was ok, not great. But when I went to the "top" guy in Boston, he didn't have a clue either and wanted to charge $80/hr for 3-5 hours. I expected a LOT more from the top place in the area. This guy was a bit more "clued in" and was charging $100 less.

Old 10-27-2005, 11:54 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Tks...

Was the top guy Sound in Motion? They are the mack : )

Old 10-27-2005, 01:52 PM
Ju got it mang ...

Sound in Motion left me VERY unimpressed. The guy told me "Dude, I don't think we can mute this thing" ... I let him know that it is possible based on the research I've done and is available on the internet if you look it up. He asked if I could print it out because "it would be really helpful". Not a good sell job. Of course, he did talk to me for 15 minutes about how Manny Ramirez just parked his car outfront and is getting more work done on it - yah, that's great, but last I checked I don't make $12M a year for catching 4 ***** in w/i 10 feet of my vicinity and hitting one every 3 tries.

There web site is good, and I am sure there stuff is unbelievable. But why make a customer with a nice ride and a decent setup feel like a schmuck cuz he isn't putting in a $20K system?

Cheers!

Old 06-20-2006, 12:11 AM
Hate to drag up an old thread, but I am trying to copy this install and was wondering if you could give me more specific instructions on how to wire the relay (and what type of relay to use). Thanks in advance.

Old 06-20-2006, 12:28 AM
Buy a harness from SDGuy. It's $150 but it's plug and play - no extra wiring and it takes no time at all. Unplug 2 plugs from the back of your head unit, plug in the SDGuy harness, two plugs for the Parrot and two plugs for the things you previously unplugged, and you're done.

I did it and am very pleased with the results.

Old 07-28-2006, 01:09 AM
quick question for you. If you use a relay to cut power to the amp, are you wiring the parrot into the front speakers directly, or will it play through the bose amp that now has zero power?

Basically, how did you connect the parrot to the speakers after muting/cutting power to the bose amp?

I was thinking of buying the adaptor harness ($150), but depending on how this works, I could save myself a few $$.

Does anyone know if the adaptor harness is a "soft mute" for the music like the nav mutes it?

THANKS!

Old 07-28-2006, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Cracker Red
Does anyone know if the adaptor harness is a "soft mute" for the music like the nav mutes it?
Not sure what you mean by soft mute, as I don't have the oem nav. When the hands free kit is engaged, there's no music from the stereo. As soon as the hands free kit disengages, there's music.

Old 07-28-2006, 02:43 PM
Cracker, we have a support page that perhaps can give you some ideas: http://www.parrotkits.com

A few of the FX35 owners prior to the release of my harness (thanks to Johnmax on FX35.org) connected their parrot mute wire to trigger 2 relays. One relay breaks the amp-on line (shuts the radio up during a call). The other relay breaks the 2 wires leading to the center dash speaker and connects Parrot kit audio there during a call. That is the most elegant way I have seen if you don't want to use our HBBH-1. There is no easy way to route the Parrot audio through the Bose system without building a similar unit to mine and that design (and the formula for Coca Cola) are well-guarded secrets Actually not really but you'd have to find two fast acting 4PDT relays and put together a rather complicated wiring harness.... Howard

Old 07-28-2006, 09:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bought the harness as well. couldn't be easier, just plug the adapter in between the plug and radio. Taking the dash apart was harder

Old 07-29-2006, 12:08 AM
Sorry guys - didn't see this came back up.

To answer the question, no the Bose still stays on, and yes, the parrott drives the front 2 speakers. Not ideal but it's functional. Had it working for a few months now with no complaints!

Old 07-29-2006, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by SDGuy
Cracker, we have a support page that perhaps can give you some ideas: http://www.parrotkits.com

A few of the FX35 owners prior to the release of my harness (thanks to Johnmax on FX35.org) connected their parrot mute wire to trigger 2 relays. One relay breaks the amp-on line (shuts the radio up during a call). The other relay breaks the 2 wires leading to the center dash speaker and connects Parrot kit audio there during a call. That is the most elegant way I have seen if you don't want to use our HBBH-1. There is no easy way to route the Parrot audio through the Bose system without building a similar unit to mine and that design (and the formula for Coca Cola) are well-guarded secrets Actually not really but you'd have to find two fast acting 4PDT relays and put together a rather complicated wiring harness.... Howard
I searched your site, but didn't find what I was looking for.

Does your harness mute the radio to a lower level, or simply cut it out all together? Basically, does it mute the audio like the nav voice does, or does it just cut it off.

I'm asking, as simply disconnecting the amp while music is playing can somtimes give a decent pop from the subwoofer (aftermarket system), while a "soft mute" keeps power running, just muting it down.

Thanks

Old 07-29-2006, 11:08 AM
In case I wasn't clear in my earlier post - I have Harold's kit. Parrot kit on = no sound from HU. Parrot kit off = sound from HU. It's a full mute.

Old 07-29-2006, 04:50 PM
rgr, thanks!