Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DVD under seat?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 11:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DVD under seat?

Has anyone successfully mounted anything, or more specifically a DVD player, under the front passenger seat? I really don't care WHAT type of DVD player it is (1/2 DIN Myron & Davis AD525, slim home DVD player hooked to inverter, some other small DVD player).

Is it even possible with the seat moving?

I just need to install a DVD player somewhere in the car that is not visible (to maintain stock look), is accessible from the front passenger seat, and is not the upper or lower glove boxes or top cubby (I have a DW screen that is going in there). Of course, because I want to keep the stock look, replacing the HU with a DVD HU is not an option.

Lead me to think under the seat was the only option left.

Thanks all.

Old 11-08-2005, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking about putting it there but one problem i came up with. The problem was if you have passengers they might kick it and the dvd player will get damaged.

I successfully put a dvd player in my glove box. Go to the post where i put MY Navi plays music videos and you can see my dvd player in my glove box.

And personally i think its a better location as well because you can lock it up etc.....

Old 11-08-2005, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the feedback, but I specifically said it cannot be in a glovebox. I already have devices planed for the gloveboxes, so they are unavailable unless I rethink placement of the other devices.

Old 11-08-2005, 04:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For something you need to access quite frequently...the bottom of your seat is not good due to:

1) Floor board heat
2) Rainy season (wet shoes)
3) Drink spills
4) Lint from the carpet fibers CAN short components, I've had this happen with dust to my ATX power supply on my desktop.
5) And the reason rashman stated.

Old 11-08-2005, 04:51 PM
nver thought of rainy season..wet shoes. good point . that can definately cause problems...why don't you put it in the trunk w/remote. but then u have to turn around to access. lol...

Old 11-08-2005, 04:56 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have the same issue with my install. Initially I wanted to move the stock NAV unit into the trunk since it's pretty useless sitting in the upper glove box. (You never need to access it) That turned out to be very difficult due to all the propietary connectors involved. My next best suggestion would be to mount the DVD player in the rear center console on the G35. There is enough room in there if you take it to an audio shop and have them fabricate a box for the DVD player. Easily accessible and hidden. The only thing is you would need to control the player with a remove .

Old 11-08-2005, 10:20 PM
I've seen an install of a DVD player on the drivers door cubby. Only bad part is it may get wet if open door in the rain. Looked great tho...have a peak.

Attached Thumbnails DVD under seat?-door-dvd-player.jpg  
Old 11-08-2005, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by amthar
Has anyone successfully mounted anything, or more specifically a DVD player, under the front passenger seat? I really don't care WHAT type of DVD player it is (1/2 DIN Myron & Davis AD525, slim home DVD player hooked to inverter, some other small DVD player).

Is it even possible with the seat moving?

I just need to install a DVD player somewhere in the car that is not visible (to maintain stock look), is accessible from the front passenger seat, and is not the upper or lower glove boxes or top cubby (I have a DW screen that is going in there). Of course, because I want to keep the stock look, replacing the HU with a DVD HU is not an option.

Lead me to think under the seat was the only option left.

Thanks all.
Go to www.mp3car.com and get this:

Attached Thumbnails DVD under seat?-g35-single-din-converter_cut.gif  
Old 11-08-2005, 11:39 PM
i wouldnt lengthen the wires on the factory nav. some times the resistance from the lenth of the wires may mess with the signal or controll.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:10 AM
^ Now thats an electrical engineer. Its called parasitic resistivity, capacitance, and inductance...not a good idea...gets worse with length to the point where you will have to regulate it by adding circuit components...something I would never wish on my worst enemy.

Old 11-09-2005, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by HipHopPro
Go to www.mp3car.com and get this:
I don't understand what is so hard about the fact that I clearly and explicitly stated that the upper and lower gloveboxes were out of the question. I am already planning on installing something into the upper glovebox.

Thanks for the suggestion but please read the post first. I am very aware as to the product line by digitalwheelz. I run a G35 reference site off of their server (http://www.digitalwheelz.com/DIY)

Old 11-09-2005, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by klwoods
I've seen an install of a DVD player on the drivers door cubby. Only bad part is it may get wet if open door in the rain. Looked great tho...have a peak.
That's a nice install but I can't imagine the abuse that dvd player goes through with opening and closing the door. Great idea though.

Old 11-09-2005, 03:00 PM
i don't imagine that opening/closing is bad on it...unless you slame your door because you're used to a monster SUV. My only fear that talked me out of putting mine there was the rain/snow could potentially get right in the dvd hole and i'm sure that wouldn't be too good.

Old 11-09-2005, 03:51 PM
I think I'm going to go ahead and just bite the bullet and put it into the upper glove box. My initial goal was to put a motorized screen in there, but the more I think about it (and talked it over with God_of_CPU), the more I realized it was going to be a lot of work (considering the upper glovebox door would most likely be in the way of the screen flipping up when the glovebox door was flipped up/open).

sigh oh well.

Thanks guys (and gals if any even post on the forum anymore).

Old 11-09-2005, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by amthar
I think I'm going to go ahead and just bite the bullet and put it into the upper glove box. My initial goal was to put a motorized screen in there, but the more I think about it (and talked it over with God_of_CPU), the more I realized it was going to be a lot of work (considering the upper glovebox door would most likely be in the way of the screen flipping up when the glovebox door was flipped up/open).

sigh oh well.

Thanks guys (and gals if any even post on the forum anymore).
The upper glove box isn't the best spot for the screen since it will get in the way of the airbag in the case of an accident. The screen could possibly be slapped into the passenger sitting there.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DVD under seat?