Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Opinions on this audio setup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AVJunkie
Now we just gotta get el_duderino to buy a G!
If everyone keeps buying DLS from him he'll be driving an M45 soon.

Old 11-14-2005, 04:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
OK, OK, I surrender....the cult prevails!! But I'm sticking with my Diamond HEX's! I'll tell you what though. With all of this hype, I am going to try these in one of my customer's cars. But seriously...the only point I was trying to make was that, yes...alot of people have opinions. I just think that when your spending this kind of cash, pick what sounds best to you. I understand that alot of people aren't privy to good audio shops, and must go with opinions. But some people like the bright sound. That's all. I have no doubts that the UP6's are GREAT speakers, (especially after all I've heard about the Iridiums), and I obviously can tell that elduderino knows his stuff. Personally, I am a great fan of CDT, and they don't get much hype around here....hmmmmmmm....maybe I'll start my own cult!

Old 11-14-2005, 09:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, nobody has asked Jadaway what kind of music he likes to listen to, or at what volume?

And Jadaway, have you heard any speakers or setups that you like?

BTW, I agree with Amthar's comment - replace the front speakers first with some components (of your favorite flavor, along with your choice of an amp), listen, and then make a subwoofer decision. Depending on what you think, and what you like to listen to, a subwoofer / enclosure / amp might make a great present for President's day, you're going to have some extra time to research it, and you're not going to be unhappy either way...

Old 11-14-2005, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by khsonic03
Personally, I am a great fan of CDT, and they don't get much hype around here....hmmmmmmm....maybe I'll start my own cult!
I have the CDT EF-61CFi component set with the 560 crossovers for my car. Awesome speakers! I just need to get them installed.

Old 11-14-2005, 10:07 PM
Anyone who has lived in a small town knows how difficult it is to get good "specialized" advice on anything. If you are a guy who is good with car audio and wants to own a shop then Sebring, FL is not the place for you. And who has time to drive 2 hours to a city and look in the phone book and hope you can find a good guy to talk to and be able to trust what he is saying. So, that is why I seek advice from the intellegent people on here with EXPERIENCE in my questions.

I appreciate the help from guys like Amthar and El Duderino and the others. By New Years I will be able to comment on the pro/cons of my particular setup.

I am still scrathing my head as to why anyone would ditch the rear comps. In college I had a car that blew the rear speakers and I drove it around for a couple of years like that. When I got them replaced it struck me how much of the music I was missing because songs integrate the use of both front/rear.

I think the investment is looking like this:
DLS UP6 all around
JL 10w6
JL 500/1 and 300/2
4080 box
Dynomat in doors and trunk
Seal door speakers to door

I encourage anyone to tell me a comparable setup. This is what I've assembled PURELY from other peoples feedback on this site. If I can get what most would consider a very good sound out of another combination that would be less cost then I'm all for it.

The forum members haven't led me wrong with tires, rims, cai, and pulley as they are exactly what was said on here.

Old 11-14-2005, 10:44 PM
*If* you are going to use comps all the way around, then you should get a 4 channel amp. Possibly a 300/4. 500/1 is good for the sub, and you can't go wrong with the 4080 box. Personally, if you don't want to ditch the rears, go with an attenuation in the rears. If you think about it, when you go to a concert, the music comes from the front of you, not the rear. When music is recorded, it is generally done in 2 channels, not 4. The only time you are going to get 4 channels is when you are watching a DVD. The JL 450/4 has 150w x 2 (for the front channels) and 75w x 2 in the rear. This setup automatically attenuates the speakers for you. The other way is to set up a 3:1 gain in the front and a 2:1 gain in the rear (with something like the 300/4) The 450/4 may be overkill for you. Like I said in a previous post, if you like the "warm natural sound", you would like CDT. Check out their site. You can get CL62's fairly cheap, or even the EF or HD series. They also have "braxials" that you could use for the rear if you are set on comps all around. Their tweets are very small, and could easily be fit in the stock location.

Old 11-15-2005, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by khsonic03
*If* If you think about it, when you go to a concert, the music comes from the front of you, not the rear. When music is recorded, it is generally done in 2 channels, not 4. The only time you are going to get 4 channels is when you are watching a DVD.
oh contrair...ever heard SACD or DVD-audio
your correct for car audio though. never heard either format in the car, but i do hear they are making it-a bit of overkill if you ask me (and i currently have both sacd and dvd-audio in my home system)

Old 11-15-2005, 01:26 PM
i agree that having 4 channels-but really only playing the same in front and back of you-just in stereo-is overkill. and while you do only hear the speakers coming from infront of you at a concert, reverb and acoustics come from the rear. usually that is what sacd or dvd-audio try and mimik-filling the rears with reverb, acoustic treatment and sound fillers-i guess you could say and it does sound quite amazing IF done correctly. while on the other hand, listen to pink floyd-Dark side of the moon in 5.1 surround utilizing all speakers for different instruments and such is quite amazing-the sound flies all around you, and while not really being realistic-its perfect.
sorry-getting off topic, but i just love this stuff!

Old 11-15-2005, 01:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aszatk01
oh contrair...ever heard SACD or DVD-audio
your correct for car audio though. never heard either format in the car, but i do hear they are making it-a bit of overkill if you ask me (and i currently have both sacd and dvd-audio in my home system)
OK, I've heard of those non-stereo formats, but WITF is the effect that they are trying to recreate?

I bet that they are trying to recreate the stereo effect with a little ambience info in the rear channels.

Most of the superior SQ potential in SACD and DVD Audio comes from the higher bitrate and sampling rate, not from the additional channels.

Old 11-15-2005, 01:57 PM
^^^^true true. i didnt want to go into any more detail....but since you did...
yes most of the sq potential does come from the higher bitrate and sampling rate, and the difference is pretty noticable comparing cd/sacd versions played on a good system.
but--DONE CORRECTLY (and i say this because most suck at this), the ambient sound from the rears do add an extra element that not only makes the sound more life-like but just something different that you're not used to hearing.

Old 11-15-2005, 02:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aszatk01
^^^^true true. i didnt want to go into any more detail....but since you did...
yes most of the sq potential does come from the higher bitrate and sampling rate, and the difference is pretty noticable comparing cd/sacd versions played on a good system.
but--DONE CORRECTLY (and i say this because most suck at this), the ambient sound from the rears do add an extra element that not only makes the sound more life-like but just something different that you're not used to hearing.
I will concur with that, with the caveat that the "done correctly" is NOT the system setup person, but the original recording engineer - who was trained on stereo.

Old 11-15-2005, 05:56 PM
^^^yes.

Old 11-15-2005, 11:13 PM
OK, but we are talking about the average car audio enthusiast here, and those formats are not generally used. I was trying to create a basic understanding of the importance of the front sound stage. Yes, you do get reverb and acoustics from the rear at a concert, but like you said....the standard system is only reproducing the stereo effect twice over in the rears as well, not creating a mimmick reverb as in the other formats you mentioned.