Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Pioneer AVIC D1 owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pioneer AVIC D1 owners

I just had a D1 installed this weekend. I requested that the wire that would prevent me from useing the nav. while moving be grounded. The installer agreed. So.. I notice that when I turn the car on the there is a message on the unit that says something to the effect that the parking brake wire is not installed correctly (the installer told me this would happen when he grounded the wire). However there are A lot of functions of the nav. that I cannot do while moving. Is this normal? or is the parking brake wire not really grounded? Can you guys that that have this unit help me out here? Thanks in advance.

Old 12-19-2005, 11:13 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The D1 monitors the brake wire, true... AND it knows when you're moving due to the internal gyro for dead reckoning when it can't get a GPS signal.

There's a ton of info on the internet about this... I'll encapsulate it. You can mod the unit - simple mod but voidds warranty and there's always a risk with any circuit-board-level mod... or you can get an Eclipse AVN5435 and ground the brake wire.

Old 12-19-2005, 12:05 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
FWIW.....from an old post;
Hope this is OK to make a clean post of this, but alot of people are asking about this and the multi-page threads are not so clear. It contains some updated information from the original rec.audio.car post, as well.
Below are instructions on how to bypass the lockouts on the Pioneer AVIC-N2 and AVIC-D1. It is real simple, and does not require any complex switches or anything. We figure these are service or testing modes, and were not intended to become public. Our Pioneer guy claims to not know anything about it, but who knows, that may just be a line.

This bypass will do three things:
1. Makes all nav functions available while driving (just like they should be)
2. Make video playback available while driving
3. No more parking brake warning box!!!

AVIC-N2 lockout bypass: Underneath the MAIN unit (not the hideaway) is a small silver sticker, peel this back. There are two contacts with the label "R197". Drop a bit of solder between these to connect them. Also, you must ground the Parking Brake wire.

AVIC-D1 lockout bypass: Find an extra Pioneer wire harness, and pull one of the wires out. Or, if you do not use the A.ANT lead, pull that out of the harness. In the AVIC-D1 harness, there is one open spot on the connector (next to the ground wire). Put the wire into the open spot on the connector, connect the other side to ground, then re-connect the plug to the AVIC-D1. Also, you must ground the Parking Brake wire (or connect to a toggle switch if you feel the need).

Thats it, all there is to it, and all the lockouts are bypassed. Easy, give it a try.

Oh and BTW I am not responsible if you F**K your **** up.

Old 12-19-2005, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you.