Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Sedan Install/Build Up ***PICS***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice setup ,, i'm debating weather to go same rout
have h700 at home ,, was thinking same mids and morel mt2 tweeters,
you did you get sound to processor ,, you did not have bose? right? did you use LOCs? please explain
Thank you !

Old 12-24-2005, 11:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GedOut
nice setup ,, i'm debating weather to go same rout
have h700 at home ,, was thinking same mids and morel mt2 tweeters,
you did you get sound to processor ,, you did not have bose? right? did you use LOCs? please explain
Thank you !
Here's the signal distribution chart:

Non bose system.

Old 12-24-2005, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by SI_G35Coupe
how did you make those "keyholes" that the amp rack sits on?... i would like to use something similar to make my new amp racks removeable should i need to fit something big in the trunk
SI, you should be able to pick them up at any home improvement center.

Or you could order them from Rockler.

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...filter=keyhole

All you need to do is drill out the material behind the keyhole.

Good luck!!!!!!

Old 12-25-2005, 09:32 AM
MiloX,
Very nice install. I'm extrememly impressed with the quality of your work. I just have a couple questions for you. Which Navone LOC did you use? Did you place it in the trunk near the amp or behind the HU?? According to your diagram It looks like you took the signal coming from the HU and removed the stock amp, is that correct? Any problems with noise or alternator whine??

Jeremy

Old 12-25-2005, 02:31 PM
MiloX I know you getting slammed with questions but your setup is very inspirational for me ,, I’ve been debating same setup for a while. hope you don't mind some more questions..
1. you have no Bose amp right so you probably used your front speaker outputs
2. what are your base/treble settings on stock HU and did EQ it on H701 and what settings have you used.
3 how do you like those EU 700, are you really satisfied with them ??

Thank you
David

Old 12-25-2005, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by jeremyp111
MiloX,
Very nice install. I'm extrememly impressed with the quality of your work. I just have a couple questions for you. Which Navone LOC did you use? Did you place it in the trunk near the amp or behind the HU?? According to your diagram It looks like you took the signal coming from the HU and removed the stock amp, is that correct? Any problems with noise or alternator whine??

Jeremy
Jeremy,

Thanks for the kind words on the install work. I used the NV-7 available from davidnavone.com:

http://www.davidnavone.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=N-7V

I don't have the Bose system. No amp to remove. I made the connections behind the HU while I was installing the RUX for the H701.

When I first fired up the system I did have some low level hiss, but was able to make it non-audible by adjusting the PCM volume on the H701. I still have some alternator whine, but I am convinced that it is a ground issue. When you have three 4 channel amps, it is bound to happen. I will be hunting it down over this weekend. 95% of all alt whine issues I have ever encountered are ground related. I'll post with updates on this.

Brian

Old 12-25-2005, 11:29 PM
MiloX I know you getting slammed with questions but your setup is very inspirational for me ,, I’ve been debating same setup for a while. hope you don't mind some more questions..
1. you have no Bose amp right so you probably used your front speaker outputs
2. what are your base/treble settings on stock HU and did EQ it on H701 and what settings have you used.
3 how do you like those EU 700, are you really satisfied with them ??

Thank you
David
David,

I don't mind at all! I am flattered that my shadetree install is inspirational! Ask as many questions as you like. That's what these forums are all about. I'll try to tackle your questions one-at-a-time.

1. No bose amp. Used FL and FR speaker outputs.
2. Bass/Treble are flat (Zero). Fader is all the way to the front. Here's the breakdown on the X-Over settings:
  • F1- High Passed at 900Hz/30db Slope/6dB down. Scanspeak/Alpine tweets see 900Hz and up. LPGs have an inline capacitor high passing them at 10Khz/6dB slope.
  • F2- High Passed at 63Hz/12dB per octave slope. Low Passed at 1.8Khz/24dB per Octave. I have these low passed pretty low to avoid the cone break-up issue these speakers have at 4.1kHz.
  • R- Low passed at 56Hz/24dB per octave slope.
  • I have spent very little time with the EQ. I have 315hz about 3dB down to combat a bit of the boomyness that can muddy up the midrange, and have 8Khz 3dB down to ease the sibilance that is sometimes present at high output levels.
3. I am really impressed with both the output and how stupid low these 6.5" drivers go. They sound fantastic, that is, when they are not slapping against the rear door panel. I will be working on this this weekend. For $50 a pop, I don't see how you can go wrong... Unless you can never get them to fit correctly in the door. We shall see on that last item. Another thing to keep in mind is that this install is "All sing, no-bling". I am not into the whole SPL thing... so impressive output for me may be weak output for you.

Once I get the 12 installed I will take the car over to Jeff Smith for a final tuning...And Alarm... And Re-tint (I had an ooopsie during the install). One of the great things about living in A-town is having access to someone as knowledgable as Jeff. His advice has been invaluable, and his installation style is inspiring to say the least. He has mastered the art of the clean stealthy install.

Feel free to keep the questions coming.

Brian

Old 12-26-2005, 12:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MiloX
Jeremy,

Thanks for the kind words on the install work. I used the NV-7 available from davidnavone.com:

http://www.davidnavone.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=N-7V

I don't have the Bose system. No amp to remove. I made the connections behind the HU while I was installing the RUX for the H701.

When I first fired up the system I did have some low level hiss, but was able to make it non-audible by adjusting the PCM volume on the H701. I still have some alternator whine, but I am convinced that it is a ground issue. When you have three 4 channel amps, it is bound to happen. I will be hunting it down over this weekend. 95% of all alt whine issues I have ever encountered are ground related. I'll post with updates on this.

Brian
I wouldn't say 95%, but most are ground-LOOP related. I don't think it's the amps, I think it's the HU-701 interface more likely. I would get a Discman or even an iPod and connect it to one of the inputs of the 701 (with NO cig adapter!). If you have no noise with a battery-operated device, then your loop or point of entry is in the HU-701 interface.

If you have the same noise, it's downstream from the 701.

I use those Navone devices often in their Soundgate guise, and it's a pretty good device. That said, the transformers are not shielded at all and so the transformers on the board can actually pick up noise from harnesses or ECUs that it is next to. You might try having one person with their ear to the tweeter while another person moves the LOC around a bit to see if it makes any difference. (Or, on your own, grab an OEM tweeter and a long piece of speaker wire and connect the tweeter directly to the amp).

Good luck, keep us posted!

Old 12-26-2005, 07:20 PM
Great clarification re: ground loops elD. I will make sure to play around with the LOC.

Thanks!

Old 12-26-2005, 09:03 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
BOY! That set up sure beats the crap out of my old Kraco 8 track and a pair of 6 by 9's.

Old 12-26-2005, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by MiloX
David,

I don't mind at all! I am flattered that my shadetree install is inspirational! Ask as many questions as you like. That's what these forums are all about. I'll try to tackle your questions one-at-a-time.

1. No bose amp. Used FL and FR speaker outputs.
2. Bass/Treble are flat (Zero). Fader is all the way to the front. Here's the breakdown on the X-Over settings:
  • F1- High Passed at 900Hz/30db Slope/6dB down. Scanspeak/Alpine tweets see 900Hz and up. LPGs have an inline capacitor high passing them at 10Khz/6dB slope.
  • F2- High Passed at 63Hz/12dB per octave slope. Low Passed at 1.8Khz/24dB per Octave. I have these low passed pretty low to avoid the cone break-up issue these speakers have at 4.1kHz.
  • R- Low passed at 56Hz/24dB per octave slope.
  • I have spent very little time with the EQ. I have 315hz about 3dB down to combat a bit of the boomyness that can muddy up the midrange, and have 8Khz 3dB down to ease the sibilance that is sometimes present at high output levels.
3. I am really impressed with both the output and how stupid low these 6.5" drivers go. They sound fantastic, that is, when they are not slapping against the rear door panel. I will be working on this this weekend. For $50 a pop, I don't see how you can go wrong... Unless you can never get them to fit correctly in the door. We shall see on that last item. Another thing to keep in mind is that this install is "All sing, no-bling". I am not into the whole SPL thing... so impressive output for me may be weak output for you.

Once I get the 12 installed I will take the car over to Jeff Smith for a final tuning...And Alarm... And Re-tint (I had an ooopsie during the install). One of the great things about living in A-town is having access to someone as knowledgable as Jeff. His advice has been invaluable, and his installation style is inspiring to say the least. He has mastered the art of the clean stealthy install.

Feel free to keep the questions coming.

Brian

Nicely done, sir! And yes, Jeff Smith is the MAN.

Old 12-26-2005, 11:01 PM
Bob!!! Great to see you over here. Did you sell the Tibby and get a G?

Old 12-27-2005, 02:00 PM
MiloX Thanks for answering all my questions that’s vary valuable information,,
too bad they do not make LOC that have speaker inputs and digital (fiber) output ,, does anybody knows if there are any portable MP3 players with digital (fiber out) I know Sony MD's do that
Let us khow how thinks go with

Milox have you thought moving locs to the trunk and running 0.5 FT RCAs to the Alpine?

Old 12-27-2005, 02:20 PM
I have thought about that GedOut. I really don't want to run a buncha new wire if I don't have to. But if that's what will get rid of the whine, I'll do it.

Old 12-27-2005, 02:55 PM

Milox have you thought moving locs to the trunk and running 0.5 FT RCAs to the Alpine?
I don't think that's the source of the whine. Read El_Duderino's post above. Besides, as long as the RCA's aren't running next to any power wires then they shouldn't be picking up any noise.

Milox, are all of your amps and the HU-701 grounded to the same point using a ground distribution block?

Last edited by jeremyp111; 02-05-2006 at 09:13 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sedan Install/Build Up ***PICS***