Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

TvAndNav2go & dvd finally installed DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TvAndNav2go & dvd finally installed DIY

Well I finally got a dvd player that fit into the lower glovebox and installed it along with my tvandnav2go converter and the pac audio unit. For the dvd player, I went with the audiovox D1730 personal dvd player that is only 1" thick. It fits into the lower glovebox nice, and the picture quality on the tvandnav2go unit is awwwwsome! Dominic, if you read this, thanks again - your unit ROCKS

I mounted 2 blue LED rocker switches in a custom brushed aluminum bezel mounted in the ashtray. One turns the dvd player on, and the other tells the navi unit whether to send navi or dvd to the screen.

Ok, details of the install:
1.) Taking apart the dash.
This was honestly the hardest part of the whole job. Well that, and finding the dvd player to fit in the lower glovebox. Here's a link to the guide: https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...diy-guide.html (link was broken, pointed it to the guide here on G35Driver instead - Wrathernaut). The hardest two panels to remove were the clock trim ring, and the passenger-side kick panel. Both require great force to free the clips, much more than I thought necessary, and to the point I was afraid of breaking them. To remove the clock trim ring, I’d recommend pushing upward toward the windshield about ¼” first then pulling it backward toward the rear of the car so you have something to pull on. That was the only way I could get it to free up from the clips. And the passenger-side kick panel, I couldn’t see the clips, so I’ll attach a pic of that to maybe help anyone in the future. Also you don’t need to remove the clock completely like the guide says. I simply unbolted it but left it connected, and was able to do everything I needed.

2.) Wiring.
--With the plug-n-play tvandnav2go and plug-n-play pac audio, the audio/video connections were a breeze and no way to really mess them up. I did have to unplug all the connectors on the back of the stereo unit though, to find out what connectors were the right ones. Obviously the navi one was the one on top, but there are 4 similar plugs on the back of the stereo that I was clueless. I’ll attach pics of the back of those in case they are of help to anyone else. I believe it was the 2 plugs on the driver’s side that you need. Then the factory run SAT wire I just left hang there since the pac audio unit takes over that socket.
--For all the power I made a plug-n-play connector that fit into the back of the accessory socket on the passenger side. I used regular blade type connectors that were a perfect fit into the factory plug harness for the socket, and obtained a 10 amp fused power source for all the components including my radar detector, and it even turns off with the key. I’ll attach a pic of this too. I think it worked out great, and even retains the use of the accessory socket.

3.) Switches.
The blue LED switches I bought at Auto Zone for like $4. The aluminum sheet I cut with a razor blade believe it or not. I tried a few different ways cutting it, saw’s, blades, dremel…and because it was so thin and soft metal, the razor blade was the easiest and cleanest cut. One switch turns the power to the dvd player on, and the other sends the dvd signal from the tvandnav2go unit to the OEM navi screen when on, and when in the off position, it sends navigation signal to the screen. This allows me to retain the dvd sound when flipping back to the navigation screens.

4.) Mounting.
I ended up mounting the tvandnav2go & pac audio units inside the center console on the front sides of the shifter in those holes there. I was going to put one of them under the radio unit, but it was just as easy putting them in the console a few inches away. The dvd player, I just have resting in the lower glovebox. It fits nice and snug, and it’s portable so I can remove it and use it outside of my G at anytime which is nice too.

Well there you have it. After much wait I’ve finally got it in and LOVE IT! If anyone has any questions I’d be glad to answer them if I can or help anyone trying to do this install in the future

Attached Thumbnails TvAndNav2go & dvd finally installed DIY-clock-low-qual.jpg   TvAndNav2go & dvd finally installed DIY-pass-side-clip-low-qual.jpg   TvAndNav2go & dvd finally installed DIY-radio-plugs.jpg   TvAndNav2go & dvd finally installed DIY-wires-hooked-up.jpg  

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 11-07-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:03 PM
Ok, sorry I couldn't put text next to the pics above. But just to explain what the pics are...
1-clock pulled to side
2-passenger side kick panel clips (and putty tool I used to help remove them)
3-back of the stereo plugs
4-all the PnP connectors in place

Here are a few more pics too:
1-dvd player in lower glovebox
2-dvd on navi display (awsome quality)
3-custom made power PnP splitter/adapter
4-switches (I still have to trim the glue that oozed out around it as you can see)

Attached Thumbnails TvAndNav2go & dvd finally installed DIY-dvd-glovebox.jpg   TvAndNav2go & dvd finally installed DIY-dvd-navi4.jpg   TvAndNav2go & dvd finally installed DIY-splitter.jpg   TvAndNav2go & dvd finally installed DIY-switches.jpg  
Old 12-30-2005, 09:19 PM
Congrats on the setup.... Thanks for the DIY contribution!

Old 12-30-2005, 09:42 PM
what kind of dvd player is that?

Old 12-30-2005, 11:05 PM
audiovox D1730. It's a personal dvd player that can run off 12v, 110v, 220v, or the lithium ion battery it came with. It's got a built in 7" wide screen and plays everything i put in it, dvd+r, dvd-r, cd-r, vcd...It's pretty nifty.

Old 01-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Since I'm getting questions I just wanted to add a few things about the D1730 audiovox dvd player. Yes it fits in the lower glovebox and the door closes without any modification to the door or glovebox. You merely need to run the wires and they will fit "as-is" with no cutting/drilling/modifying. The unit measures 7.5" x 5.6" x 1.14" (Wide x Deep x Thick) so there's plenty of room around it to plug in wires or whatever else you want to store there.

Old 01-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Mod Junky!
How long did the install take?

Old 01-28-2006, 04:37 AM
hey does your glove box close all the way? I had to cut mine here and there to make the dvd player fit in.

just wanted to see if yours fits

Old 01-28-2006, 04:49 AM
hey arash, he has a portable dvd player that fits the specifications of the glove box according to Geeimfast. I ordered my tvandnav2go and this exact dvd player last week and should be getting it installed by gee soon.

Old 01-29-2006, 03:56 PM
The total install can be done in about 5 hours. It took me a little more than that as this was my first time taking apart the G, and I had to run around town buying some last min. things (wire, connectors, 1st switch was DOA...) Most of the install time was taking the damn dash apart - that job was no fun, and i was so affraid of breaking the dash panels when releasing the dumb clip things. (i prefer all screws all the way lol). But I also had to cut the brushed aluminum switch panel, solder wires on the switches on top of the tvandnav2go PnP and PAC audio unit and the dvd player.

Yes it completely fits in the lower glovebox and the door shuts just fine As I mentioned before, I'd HIGHLY reccommend the DVD player for any fellow G owners.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Received 354 Likes on 214 Posts
nice

Old 11-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks a lot for this write up. i installed my nav interface and used some of this for a reference, much appreciated!

Old 11-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
sweet lil hook up bro