Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Component final decison. Motel or DLS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 09:12 AM
Mod Junky!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Component final decison. Motel or DLS?

Ok so i am trying to make my final decision for speakers for my JL 500/5 setup. I know most people go with the DLS, but I am considering trying to be different and going withthe Morel's. I do not have anywhere I can demo these speakers so I need to just gamble on it.

I am considering the DLS Up6 up front and the 426 in back if i went DLS. If I go with Motel it would be the Morel Dotech MKII and Pulse Coax in rear. I will be dynamatting the whole car as well and running a 4080 box with a JL 10 for the sub.

Last edited by e420x; 02-21-2006 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:56 PM
I have been pleased with my DLS setup including the UP6s. I've heard good things about the Morels too although I've never heard them.

Old 02-21-2006, 06:38 PM
I did listen to Morel's at a local shop and really liked their higher end components. But they were too expensive and I finally decided on CDT components instead. If you can afford the Morel's, and have listened to them and like what you heard, I don't think you can go wrong. They build very good speakers.

Old 02-21-2006, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by netwireless
I did listen to Morel's at a local shop and really liked their higher end components. But they were too expensive and I finally decided on CDT components instead. If you can afford the Morel's, and have listened to them and like what you heard, I don't think you can go wrong. They build very good speakers.
Yes, I think there's a significant price difference between the UP6s and the Morels. Your ear and pocketbook are what matter most here. I am satisfied with my set up for the price. If more expensive stuff sounds substantially better I don't want to hear it. I might get the bug again.

Old 02-21-2006, 11:46 PM
Mod Junky!
The Morel dotechs which I am told are the only Morels that fit without modifying the stock tweeter case is the dotech 2. These are actually the same exact price as the DLS. So the cost is not a big difference

Old 02-22-2006, 01:31 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I'm the DLS dealer, and I don't think you can go wrong between the two companies.

But I suspect sonically the UP6 sound more like the Integra than the Dotech.

Old 02-22-2006, 07:49 AM
Mod Junky!
Do you know if the MOREL HYBRID OVATION will fit? Is the dotech my only choice for stock fitment if I go with Morel?

Old 02-22-2006, 10:55 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
ditto, having run DLS and morel extensively over the years, if i had to chose bettween DLS up6 and morel dotech, it would be the DLS, but if I had to chose between UP6 and Hybrid ovation, I would choose hybrid ovation....

as for price difference, the UP6 should be in the same neighborhood as the hybrid ovation 6...

BUT...onthing you should know...

in order to make the hybrid ovation sound as good as it can be, bi-amp it. the stock cap that it comes with in garbage. i bi-amped my hybrid ovations with an arc audio 5150 and it sounded great

b

Old 02-22-2006, 10:57 AM
Mod Junky!
So do the Hybir ovations fit in the stock locations of the coupe?

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
ditto, having run DLS and morel extensively over the years, if i had to chose bettween DLS up6 and morel dotech, it would be the DLS, but if I had to chose between UP6 and Hybrid ovation, I would choose hybrid ovation....

as for price difference, the UP6 should be in the same neighborhood as the hybrid ovation 6...

BUT...onthing you should know...

in order to make the hybrid ovation sound as good as it can be, bi-amp it. the stock cap that it comes with in garbage. i bi-amped my hybrid ovations with an arc audio 5150 and it sounded great

b

Old 02-22-2006, 11:38 AM
I disagree. Hybrid Ovations cost much more than the MSRP of the UP6. MSRP on the Hybrid Ovation 6 is $900 and the Integra Ovation is $450.

I think you're confusing Integra Ovation "point-source" coaxials with Hybrid Ovation components. Wish their names were less confusing. The Integra Ovation coaxials do sound best with a better xover than the cap they come with, the Hybrid Ovation come with a real Accuset xover with multiple slopes and level settings.

I don't recommend the coaxials (even though I feel they're the best coaxials in the world). I'd strongly recommend the UP6 over the coaxials since the elevated tweeter will lift the image more effectively.

Old 02-22-2006, 03:33 PM
you know, you are aboslutely correct...i am still used to calling them integra, and in my head, i mistook the hybrid ovations for the piintsource coaxial ovations. i apologize..

my point still stands, which i ugess is different than yours

i simply liked the way the bi-amped integra 6 better thant he up6, but hey sq is a personal thing right?

IMO, integra ovation i would take over the DLS up6, whcih i would take over the dotech, but i would take the UR6S over the integra ovation, ...

now if its betweent he hybrid ovation vs iridium...hmm THAT would be a hard chopice for me...

Old 02-22-2006, 06:00 PM
NP, I wish those names were less confusing.

I guess I agree that tonally bi-amped Morel Ovation coaxes would sound better than passively crossed-over UP6... but I'm not at all sure the image would be better due to the tweeter's location so low in the door.

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
now if its betweent he hybrid ovation vs iridium...hmm THAT would be a hard chopice for me...

Not if you can't fit the Iridium tweeter in there without a hole saw, it ain't

Old 02-22-2006, 06:01 PM
Mod Junky!
el_duderino-

I emailed you..I cannot find any local DLS dealers so wanted to take you up on your offer

Old 02-23-2006, 11:13 AM
el duderino,

have you heard the nobelium 3 way sets? i mean really sampled them, not listened to them briefly...i am getting a new car and wondering if i should get these to replace my AVI bsm set

i have heard everything up to the iridium line, but havent had ac ustomer who have gotten the nobelium yet...can you give met hte main difference between the two?

b

Old 02-23-2006, 11:22 AM
Mine haven't arrived yet.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Component final decison. Motel or DLS?