Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

I am thinking about getting a radar detector but.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 02:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am thinking about getting a radar detector but.

Most of the time I see a cop they are just driving. Should I still get one?

Old 02-23-2006, 03:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To me, they are wrothless...Cop see you coming and rise his radar gun point it at your car and get your speed, its too late for you to slow down, he knew you are speeding before he triggers the radar...it might actually warn you if there are some sort of "residual" singal from last time he triggering the radar.

Old 02-23-2006, 03:49 AM
Rollin On Dubz
I used to think like you Lime, if the cop sees me speeding it's already too late...or the fact that because I live in a more Urban area there are less radar trips.

But the truth is, I see a lot of radar traps around here and there, and if the detector only saves you once from getting a ticket it should pay for itself.

Hopefully for my B-day I'll be getting the V1 or the 8500...not sure yet.

Old 02-23-2006, 04:39 AM
I used to be a skeptic about radar detectors until I tried the V1. I think the other ones don't work too well but I can honestly say this thing works. The V1 saved my butt three times on my drive down to LA from SF. If you clocked at 105 plus on I-5, they impound your car and take your license. So I think it paid for itself over and over and over.

It also works fairly well on freeways. I like it because it senses the rear as well. Especially when you can't get a visual right away, it catches it alerts you so you can look around and GET a visual. Doesn't really work too well in the city because you have to change modes to ignore low priority things that set off the sensor like bank alarms and automatic door motion sensors in front of retail stores. Changing modes is easy.

Man they got me sounding like an infomercial...

Old 02-23-2006, 04:42 AM
just got me the v1.... loving the looks of it but way too many false right now..

Old 02-23-2006, 08:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Radar detectors are not a sure-fire way to beat the cops.

Please note that a cop that is "driving around" can easily clock you with radar. Units these days are tied into the speedo of the cop car and compensates for the cop car's speed and is able to clock you even though he/she is moving. Also, many cops (especially state highway patrols) have rear-facing radar guns mounted in the rear window. This allows them to get people behind them when they are stopped (like in a median) or even moving. Just because you're behind them doesn't mean you're safe.

Yes, if a cop is sitting in the median with the gun off, sees you and decides to turn it on and clock you, you're toast- no detector can help you with this.

The idea of the radar detector is to pickup a cop that is clocking OTHER people. Generally if there is any amount of traffic, the cop will either leave their radar on, clocking everyone as he/she sits or drives around (this is really easy to detect with a radar detector), OR he/she will most likely be clocking people ahead of you and your detector will pick this up.

This is why I don't speed when traffic is non-existant (or basically non-existant) because there are fewer suckers to take a clock ahead of you and give away the cop's position. It's also much easier to defend yourself in court if you are clocked in heavier traffic (or in poor weather for that matter).

Remember, radar is wave energy, which means you don't need Line Of Sight to detect it. This is also why "rear facing" or "rear detecting" radar detectors are just a marketing gimick and don't actually add any realistic additional benefit.

Old 02-23-2006, 10:25 AM
The only thing I can say is that I have avoided more than one ticket due to my X50. I know it has paid for itself. Yes, if you are the only one on the road and an officer has instant on radar you are toast. This situation, however, just doesn't happen that often.

Most of the police in my area have their radar on while driving. I know because my X50 tells me.

Old 02-23-2006, 10:32 AM
my bel rx65 finds grocery stores and cvs's w/ ease

Old 02-23-2006, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by rraabb11
my bel rx65 finds grocery stores and cvs's w/ ease
Ha Ha

Old 02-23-2006, 11:00 AM
SDG
For those that said, "Once he points the gun at you it's too late"

Not true at all. The radar gun averages your speed over 3 seconds. The cop must have the radar on your car for 3 seconds before the gun spits out a reading. My point is once you hear the detector go off you slow down, quickly and it will help you. Even if they get you over the limit it won't be as bad (less $$$ ticket)

Your radar detector will pay for itself even if it gets you out of one ticket. I would recommend that you hide it or put it away if you get pulled over though, it can ruin your chances of getting out of any ticket.

Old 02-23-2006, 11:05 AM
THE BATMOBILE
love my 8500 X50 ...........its not true what everyone is saying about its too late.....most of the time cops are shooting other cars and your radar will go off so you should slow down before you get shot

Old 02-23-2006, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by truplay8
love my 8500 X50 ...........its not true what everyone is saying about its too late.....most of the time cops are shooting other cars and your radar will go off so you should slow down before you get shot

Remove that pic immediately! You are making me jealous of the cool Blue .

Old 02-23-2006, 11:12 AM
X50 Works wonders

There are some good points here that I would like to emphasize.

1. The 3 second average for the Clocking is true. Yesterday I went from 60 to 40 in under 2 seconds from when the Laser indicator went off. As I rolled by the police officer in the 35mph zone he was pointing at me and smiling, but he didn't give me a ticket.

2. The clocking of drivers in front of you is the best reason to have a radar gun. The guy in front of you gets the ticket as long as you slow down the SECOND you hear an alarm.

3. Because of 2 (slowing down the SECOND you hear an alarm) alot of radars are crap because of false signals.

I can tell you the x50 is about the 7th or 8th Radar detector i've had, NONE of them worked nearly as well as the X50 due to almost 0 false signals.

Old 02-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's some free advice. Take a ride along with a few law enforcement departments in your area. I have gone on ride alongs with several local police departments as well as with highway patrol. In my experience with the police departments, they don't use radar (excluding the motorcycle and specific traffic control). Patroling cruisers are not interested in traffic stops unless something blatant is occuring. They are usually responding to an phoned in complaint. Usually (in my area) they make one traffic stop per shift to write a ticket. Speeding is usually estimated because most patrol cars aren't equipped with radar.
Traffic cops are hard to avoid. They are sneaky and hide in the shadows, behind other vehicles, or next to buildings. This when a radar detector comes in handy.
Highway patrol are EXTENSIVELY trained (California at least) to estimate speed even without radar. Their cars are equipped with radar but the device is designed to work in a straight line, either in front of or behind the patrol car. Their radar system is designed to measure speed of the car in front of or behind the patrol car. It can also measure the speed of a second vehicle (2 cars ahead of or behind the patrol car). Typically, highway patrol are the ones to watch out for. These guys are trained way beyond the average police patrolman.

Old 02-23-2006, 12:11 PM
SDG
I agree with the last post, the highway patrol in california is definitely on the ball.

How much paid for the X50?? I have a detector I bought at costco for $99 and it works very well. I think the cheapo ones work pretty good as long as you have an adjustable filter.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I am thinking about getting a radar detector but.