Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Locking mechanism specifics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 09:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Locking mechanism specifics

Couple of things. What is the difference between the "power lock" and "lock motor" of our car? Same question, what is the difference between the "power unlock" and "unlock motor" of our car?

My guess is that the power lock and power unlock refers to the locking/unlocking mechanism that occurs via the OEM wireless keyfob. It simulates the manual pressing of the lock/unlock button on the door panel (or I guess even turning the key in the driver door). Vs. the "lock/unlock motor" which is the actual driving motor(s) behind it all.

Assuming this is correct, our lock/unlock motor(s) are supposedly "5 wire" systems. I found this:

http://www.the12volt.com/doorlocks/page3.asp#5w

...which I believe I understand. In a 5 wire system such as our car utilizes, the driving signals are actually - (not +). Furthermore, opening and closing connectivity at terminal 87a on the appropriate relays causes the car to lock and unlock.

When interfacing an aftermarket alarm, connecting directly to the lock/unlock motor(s) relays is beneficial because you are interfacing directly with the lock/unlock motor(s), rather than simulating a - "pulse" down the power lock/unlock side (which I assume is bad as it creates another point of fault if your power lock/unlock receiver goes bad?).

Assuming this is all correct (bwhahaha), I am a little fuzzy how the stock locking system lets you unlock just the driver side with one touch of the keyfob, and then the passenger side and gas door with another.

Thanks all.

Last edited by amthar; 03-21-2006 at 09:44 AM.