Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

How to hard wire?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to hard wire?

If this has been posted, please hit me up w/ the link.

How do you hardwire something that normally plugs into the lighter?

I'd like to hardwire into the fuse box, or something under or around the steering collumn. I'm assuming you just need to cut the lighter plug off the end, strip back the wires and tap into a hot and ground wire.
If it's that easy, which wire do you recommend?
If it's best to tap into the fuse box, how is that done? do you buy a special fuse?

I have my i-pod hooked up to a Monster FM transmitter. I know it's not the best way, but the Pac thingy is still on back order + there's another company making an i-pod specific direct hook up. My i-pod is mounted via one of those vent clips. I removed the thing that actually holds the i-pod, so I just have a 2 x 2 sqare hooked to the vent. The i-pod is velcroed to that. It looks super clean. You can only see the wire from the driver's side when you enter the car. I've considered the proclip, but after comparing, I actually like my "custom" set up better.

School me on the hard wire.....THANKS!

Old 04-05-2006, 12:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bump. i would like to know too. i have a project involing hardwiring so i wanna see there is a better way that what i did.

Old 04-05-2006, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The SEARCH feature is your friend.

Old 04-05-2006, 12:32 PM
Dunno about around the fuse box. I tapped my cig. lighter wires, real easy. You are correct, cut the wires, strip them back, +12v and ground, you're done. I'd use wire taps.

Old 04-05-2006, 12:35 PM
^^ yayaya, done that and found alot about hardwire for a radar only. im looking for info about just a phone only. the way i hooked my phone up was with a female cig plug and hardwired that to the current cig lighters wires, and then i just plugged my phone charger to that. am i doing an extra step? if i straight tap it would it be to much power to a phone?

Old 04-05-2006, 12:50 PM
The cig. adapters often times step the 12v down to some lower voltage. You need to use a voltmeter to determine the voltage output leaving the plug that goes into the phone. Then you can figure out where to go from there.

Old 04-05-2006, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by 05GSedan
The SEARCH feature is your friend.
Always one in the bunch.

I did search & could not find what I was looking for. I'm not trying to hardwire this at my rearview mirror.

Why don't you search. If you find the answer to my specific question, I'll apologize.

Old 04-05-2006, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by amthar
The cig. adapters often times step the 12v down to some lower voltage. You need to use a voltmeter to determine the voltage output leaving the plug that goes into the phone. Then you can figure out where to go from there.

If I hardwire the FM modulator, taping into the cig lighter, I'm assuming I do not have to worry about the voltage. Is that correct?

Does the lighter run thru the interior fuse box? If so, I would not have to dismantle my center console.

rst, what size wire taps? Does size matter? (hahahhaha )

Thanks amthar & rst!

Old 04-05-2006, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by shredX
If this has been posted, please hit me up w/ the link.

How do you hardwire something that normally plugs into the lighter?

I'd like to hardwire into the fuse box, or something under or around the steering collumn. I'm assuming you just need to cut the lighter plug off the end, strip back the wires and tap into a hot and ground wire.
If it's that easy, which wire do you recommend?
If it's best to tap into the fuse box, how is that done? do you buy a special fuse?

I have my i-pod hooked up to a Monster FM transmitter. I know it's not the best way, but the Pac thingy is still on back order + there's another company making an i-pod specific direct hook up. My i-pod is mounted via one of those vent clips. I removed the thing that actually holds the i-pod, so I just have a 2 x 2 sqare hooked to the vent. The i-pod is velcroed to that. It looks super clean. You can only see the wire from the driver's side when you enter the car. I've considered the proclip, but after comparing, I actually like my "custom" set up better.

School me on the hard wire.....THANKS!
I used this method to hardwire my V1. Works very well.

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-video-electronics/75576-diy-valentine-v1-hardwire-fuse-box.html

Old 04-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Always one in the bunch.

I did search & could not find what I was looking for. I'm not trying to hardwire this at my rearview mirror.

Why don't you search. If you find the answer to my specific question, I'll apologize.

And I agree. The search feature on the board is severely lacking. Way too broad even with the advanced search.

Old 04-05-2006, 03:42 PM
Thanks my man. My office cpu will not let me view the photos. I'll just have to wait until I get home to see them. You were very detailed in your description. If I can't see them at home, I'll still be able to figure it out.

Do wire taps come in specific sizes?

Old 04-05-2006, 04:06 PM
If I hardwire the FM modulator, taping into the cig lighter, I'm assuming I do not have to worry about the voltage. Is that correct?

Does the lighter run thru the interior fuse box? If so, I would not have to dismantle my center console.

rst, what size wire taps? Does size matter? (hahahhaha )

Thanks amthar & rst!
Do you have a link/picture to the FM transmitter you are using? This might help me better answer your question.

Old 04-05-2006, 04:08 PM
And the search feature works great. I've found that changing the search from a "natural" search to a boolean search goes a long way.

Old 04-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by amthar
Do you have a link/picture to the FM transmitter you are using? This might help me better answer your question.

http://www.monstercable.com/computer...r.asp?pin=2084

It's good quality. Between my wife and I, we've tried 3 others. By far the strongest signal. She was driving in front of me a week ago, and she tuned into my i-pod. Crazy.

I appreciate your interest and help.

Old 04-05-2006, 08:30 PM
Thanks my man. My office cpu will not let me view the photos. I'll just have to wait until I get home to see them. You were very detailed in your description. If I can't see them at home, I'll still be able to figure it out.

Do wire taps come in specific sizes?
Yes, make sure you get the "mini".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to hard wire?