Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Aftermarket Amp Wired to Stock Speakers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 04:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Amp Wired to Stock Speakers

Can i completely remove the Bose Amp and replace it with an aftermarket amp to power the stock speakers? What difference in sound quality would it make? I recently got a 4-channel amp and dont want to spend the money for new speakers to use with it. Not sure if the wiring is different cuz the amps pretty old, i think. My cousin bought it way back in the day. Anyone care to explain exactly how to wire everything? Im not very knowledgable when it comes to car audio. Thanks.

Old 04-15-2006, 09:45 AM
i'd say that the difference would be minimal. if you're going with an aftermarket amp for your speakers, spend a little more and replace your speakers as well. just my 2 cents!

Old 04-15-2006, 02:45 PM
First off let me say that an aftermarket amp would likely blow your $hitty Nissan speakers (assuming it has any real power). If you have a Bose system, then you have 4 Nissan speakers and two rear bose speakers.

Assuming you keep the power level down, it would improve things in the idea that you have now removed the amp that does all the equalization, etc. However, if you have a stock head unit still, you will have made things worse. Keep in mind your Bose system has six speakers to drive, and you have a four channel amp. Problem.

Ultimately, best to do if you want better sound? Replace your speakers, your amp and your head unit.

Ideal: New head unit, six channel amp, 6.5" components up front, 6.5" coaxials in rear, 6x9 woofers in decklid. Then of course you could always choose to add another amp and sub later.

Old 04-16-2006, 01:01 AM
straight to the bank...
personally you really dont need the rear fill...you can get away with a 4 channel amp driving a very good set of front components and some halfway decent 6x9's or coax's in the back. I think the stock HU is good enough...but a new HU is always a better idea (not worth the $2k for me right now...)

Old 04-16-2006, 02:57 PM
I accually just did this over the weekend. I used a 400Watt Infinity 4 channel amp, and wired them to the 4 interior speakers, and left only the 6X9's on the bose amp. I swapped out the stock tweeter with a polk/MOMO tweeter and crossover that I had laying around, and that made a huge difference in the highs, and added a lot more clarity. I then ran a mono amp to my box with 2 10's. I also used 1.5 Farad cap in this set up. I will be eventually upgrading all of the interior speakers with the stuff from my MR-2 because i just got sponsored by Audiobahn. But don't worry, as long as you tune the amps they will make your speakers A LOT louder and they shouldnt blow.

BTW...I did all this because I have a lot of extra high end equipment from my other car. I wouldn't recommend going out and buying amps just for this set up with out possibly repalcing at least the components.

Last edited by G35MR2; 04-16-2006 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:58 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It will sound a lot better.The stock amp is low power and low quality.An aftermarket amp is much better quality.High power doesn't just blow speakers. Distortion does ! A higher power amp of good quality will produce less distortion,the speakers will like it.I had my Mc Intosh amp hooked up to the stock speakers for about 2 weeks till I had the time to replace the oem speakers.It did sound better than the oem amp.But of course my MBQuart speakers do sound better than oem ones.So if it is something you need to do temprairly till you can upgrade later,go for it.