Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

My upside-down JL 250/1 and 10W3v2 installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 10:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MechEE
Actually, convection is the transfer of heat to a surrounding fluid (air in this case). Moving air increases convective heat transfer: the higher the air speed over the fins, the better. The idea of a necessary maximum speed to "allow the air to get warmer" is completely incorrect. Standing still-air convection is just a special case of convection with no relative fluid speed.
All convection involves motion by definition. There is no such thing as convection without moving air.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=convection

The act or process of conveying; transmission.

Physics.

1. Heat transfer in a gas or liquid by the circulation of currents from one region to another.
2. Fluid motion caused by an external force such as gravity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convection

Free and forced convection

In heat transfer, a distinction is made between free and forced convection.

Free convection is convection in which motion of the fluid arises solely due to the temperature differences existing within the fluid. Example: hot air rising off the surface of a radiator.

Forced convection happens when motion of the fluid is imposed externally (such as by a pump or fan).

It is true that Newton's equations for heat transfer state that air speed should not matter. I should have stated that in practical terms, above a certain point installing more fan throughput won't help, not that it would retard convection. My error.

Old 04-17-2006, 10:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Off of the JL website:

"Amplifier mounted horizontally, but upside down: Fair (not recommended if there is less than 1 inch (2.5 cm) clearance above the amplifier heat sinks)

Old 04-18-2006, 01:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ARTofDESIGN
Also:

1) I dont see your remote wire connected, where is that coming from? Bose amp?

2) And your custom rca are the input signal to the amp right? Will any RCA's do? I've never seen this done before.

3) What are your amp settings? Amp LP filter: mode-slope? filter freq.? Bass control: infrasonci filter? LF boost? input Voltage low-high? signal sensing off-on? From: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_a...php?amp_id=251

4) The signal input wires you connected to was B4 the bose amp right? Can you explain which ones they are or where to find the correct ones to connect to?

5) Sorry dude, whats IIRC?

Really appreciate any and all the help.
1) The JL amp has an auto turn-on feature that senses the presence of audio at the input so you don't need a separate turn-on lead.

2) You need a set of RCAs that you can take apart and solder. Most high-end RCAs are this way, or you can buy just the RCA connectors at a place like Radio Shack that are ready for soldering.

3) I believe I'm at -12 dB/dec, ~120 Hz low-pass frequency, infrasonic filter off, input voltage low, signal sensing on, ~1/3 of the way up on input sensitivity.

4) Teal and Purple for Real Left + and -, Blue and Pink for Rear Right + and -.

5) If I Recall Correctly

Old 04-18-2006, 01:09 AM
Originally Posted by aleok
damn, i don't think i've ever thought of mounting the amp there. wait, i gotta check to see it mine will fit. can u mount any amp upsidedown? if it has a built in fan will it be ok? right now, mine is under the plactic cover, sitting ontop the stock bose amp, is way to hot in there?
It's probably okay, though I'd argue it's not much better than my mounting location, especially since you are mounting it on top of existing hot electronics.

Originally Posted by dartmouth01
This might be a silly question, but how did you route the power and ground wires to the battery? I see they are headed towards the rear of the trunk and then go underneath the plastic jack holder, just wondering where they go from there.....

Thanks, and nice install!
Pretty much. I ran it along the edge of the door sill and up under the rear seats and through the plastic jack holder. With the car on, I get no dimming of any interior lights when the bass is all the way up. However with the engine off, I do get a little flickering.

Old 04-18-2006, 01:15 AM
Originally Posted by khsonic03
Off of the JL website:

"Amplifier mounted horizontally, but upside down: Fair (not recommended if there is less than 1 inch (2.5 cm) clearance above the amplifier heat sinks)
I noticed that in the manual, and I've got more than one inch above the heatsinks, but it's still trapped in a cavity. Oh well, we shall see.

Old 04-18-2006, 09:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's probably okay, though I'd argue it's not much better than my mounting location, especially since you are mounting it on top of existing hot electronics.

Pretty much. I ran it along the edge of the door sill and up under the rear seats and through the plastic jack holder. With the car on, I get no dimming of any interior lights when the bass is all the way up. However with the engine off, I do get a little flickering.
IIRC you are NOT suppose to route the ground and power on the same side or else you get interference (static) or do I have that confused with RCA and power?

Also can you still use your cargo net?

Either way you have inspired me to install a sub in my trunk since I will not lose trunk space.

Last edited by Steel Blue; 04-18-2006 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Blue
IIRC you are NOT suppose to route the ground and power on the same side or else you get interference (static) or do I have that confused with RCA and power?

Either you have inspired me to install a sub in my trunk since I will not lose trunk space.
Its RCA and Power, the Ground should only be less than a foot long, it doesn't run all the way back up to the battery

Old 04-18-2006, 12:52 PM
straight to the bank...
I think some people ground to the battery...why? f**k if i know...its easier to just ground to the trunk...

MechEE:
3) I believe I'm at -12 dB/dec, ~120 Hz low-pass frequency, infrasonic filter off, input voltage low, signal sensing on, ~1/3 of the way up on input sensitivity.
Isnt the bass too much at that freq? I find it fighting (and winning) with the 6x9's at that point...then again I got a 500/1 and 10w6v2 so that might be why...

Old 04-18-2006, 02:28 PM

Either way you have inspired me to install a sub in my trunk since I will not lose trunk space.
Ah, but with differential signaling it's not much of an issue as long as the signals are routed together. Cross-talk from power lines will be common to both signal lines and will get subtracted right out. I can still use the cargo net, but it's pinched together on the subwoofer side.

Originally Posted by Virge
Isnt the bass too much at that freq? I find it fighting (and winning) with the 6x9's at that point...then again I got a 500/1 and 10w6v2 so that might be why...
It's a tough call, depends on the sound you want I guess. I could stand to drop it down a bit. I had it down around 80 Hz and it seemed like there was a bit of a gap in the response, so I moved it up. I'm sure I'll tweak it little by little as time goes on, but this was a good starting point. The only real pain with my setup is that I need to pull the box out to adjust the amp. Luckily the box pulls out in 10 seconds.

Old 04-18-2006, 03:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do you put the the bass and treble settings at on the HU?

Old 04-18-2006, 04:40 PM
What do you put the the bass and treble settings at on the HU?
I move it around a little depending on the music. I adjusted the amp so that I have a good range of bass adjustment on the headunit, so it usually stays around 0. The treble is generally at +2 or so.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:59 PM
I move it around a little depending on the music. I adjusted the amp so that I have a good range of bass adjustment on the headunit, so it usually stays around 0. The treble is generally at +2 or so.

This made me think, the 250/1 amp doesnt have a optional sub volume control?

Old 04-20-2006, 03:59 AM
Originally Posted by ARTofDESIGN
This made me think, the 250/1 amp doesnt have a optional sub volume control?
Nope, no remote sub control option on the 250/1.

In other news, I just got back from two 4 hour trips in the car with no overheating problems with the amp.

Old 04-20-2006, 09:37 AM
straight to the bank...
wow...my 500/1 gets kinda hot after about ~35 min or so of use. Luckily its got plenty of breathing room

Old 04-20-2006, 10:37 PM
mc2
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Or you could probably make a a few simple L brackets and mount it right side up also?