Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Question about speaker install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2006 | 04:37 AM
|
Question about speaker install

I already PM'd a few members about this but I might as well ask to get more opinions. I recently purchased DLS UP6 components and 426 coaxials. The problem that i'm having is that when I first turn on the car, i get a very annoying whine coming out of the rear left speaker (the coaxials correct?). I figured this out from sitting in the backseat and listening. I noticed that none of the other speakers give out that whine and only the left rear one does. The whine starts off soft and gets louder and louder, and about 15 min later the whine goes away. This happens everytime I turn on the car.

My next question is.. while i was sitting in the back seat, i noticed that no sound was coming out of my 6x9's.. (the ones under the rear window). So i checked out my speaker boxes and noticed that the stock 6x9's were in the box. So is it normal for shops to remove that speaker when installing? Or do the 6x9's just not work when you upgrade the components and coaxials? It's probably not needed but I was just surprised to see that my stock bose 6x9 speaker was lying in the box with nothing in the car.

Any help about the whine would be nice.. its starting to get frustrating.

Old 04-24-2006 | 12:49 PM
Mike, I can help you out with all that when I get back. Anyway, just to answer some questions... The whine could be a ton of things. So that one will be tough. It could have to do with grounding of the amp, the power wires near your audio lines, all sorts of stuff. My guess is you have speaker wires to that speaker running right next to your power wires.

Anyway, regarding the rear 6x9s not working, this is probably why... You have the premium audio package. What happens is that the head unit sends out 4 speaker wire lines to the bose amp which then converts it to six outputs to the six speakers in your car.

When you took the extra step to get all new speakers, I'm guessing you replaced your amp to your new speakers (components up front and coaxials in the rear). My guess is that you have RCAs running to your new amps from your head unit and that 4 channel amp powering those speakers. The 6x9s probably are no longer connected at all. In fact, do you even still have your stock bose amp connected?

Anyway, you can run your rear 6x9s but they don't add anything really. If you really wanted, you could get new 3way 6x9s and run them off a different amp, or even better would be 6x9 woofers but you already have a sub right? Best bet, leave them out of the equation altogether.

Old 04-24-2006 | 02:23 PM
|
thanks so much inno yeah the bose amp is disconnected (duh) i should've figured that. Haha anyhow i can't wait to see you man hopefully you can help me out Let me know when you get back.