Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Car Audio HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 11:39 AM
Modded Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Audio HELP!

Let me preface this by stating that I am not much of an audiophile, and have never upgraded systems in my past cars.

I just purchased a Pioneer Avic-D2, and after doing some searching I found that it won't work too well with my stock BOSE system. I don't need/want a subwoofer, so that leaves me with the need to replace four 6 1/2" speakers and two tweeters, and to purchase an amp that can handle them.

I am looking to purchase these from Best Buy, because I can get a pretty steep discount. Can somebody verify that these speakers will work with my car in their stock locations:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1140392384331

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1140392384625

I am assuming that the tweeters from the component set can be mounted in the stock location, right?

The last thing that I need to purchase is an amp. I have no idea which one can handle these speakers, but would welcome any suggestions. I am assuming that 90w RMS (x2) / 60w RMS (x2) would mean that I need an amp capable of handling 300 watts...

What else do I need to buy? Any extra wiring, adapters, etc.? Do I retain the stock speaker wiring from the HU/amp?

Thanks!

Last edited by vodkarocket; 05-01-2006 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:55 AM
workin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
boris, i don't know much about car audio, but 16psibrick (bing) does. PM him, i'm sure he'll be able to help. plus he's located in san jose and can install the stuff for you. he does really good work.

Old 05-01-2006, 12:22 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you special order items from Best Buy suppliers? If so, get the X-type components for the front. Better than anything BB stocks.

Old 05-01-2006, 04:39 PM
can't hear the stereo over the scream of the exhaust, just drive harder!

Old 05-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Why won't the AVIC-D2 work with your stock BOSE system? It will work just fine. I would recommend getting the Scosche aftermarket HU adapter though.

Now if you want improved sound quality or loudness thats another thing.

Forget about the 6x9s you have in the rear deck altogether. Regarding the speakers you have chosen, they will work just fine.

However, please keep in mind you will need spacers for your 6.5" speakers in your doors as well as in the rear. Not sure if BB can build them for you or not. You can always order them from Zenclosures. They have an ebay store.

Old 05-01-2006, 05:34 PM
Modded Member
Originally Posted by Inno
Why won't the AVIC-D2 work with your stock BOSE system? It will work just fine. I would recommend getting the Scosche aftermarket HU adapter though.

Now if you want improved sound quality or loudness thats another thing.

Forget about the 6x9s you have in the rear deck altogether. Regarding the speakers you have chosen, they will work just fine.

However, please keep in mind you will need spacers for your 6.5" speakers in your doors as well as in the rear. Not sure if BB can build them for you or not. You can always order them from Zenclosures. They have an ebay store.
What 6x9's? I have a sedan, and there are no speakers in the rear deck. Thanks for the tip on the spacers- just bought 2 pairs from Zencolusers.

I'm heading off to Best Buy in a few minutes to buy the speakers, but I still haven't received an answer/reccomendation for the amp or any other extras I may need.

Old 05-01-2006, 05:38 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
Boris, i have the pioneer 6600DVD in my car (6.5" flip screen) and it works perfect with my bose system. The second i fired the sounds up after the install i instantly noticed better sound from the stock bose speakers and sub. I'll be replacing everything eventually like you plan on doing but you dont have to do it right away if you dont desire. My friend works at BB and he installed the HU for $90 and ran wire through the whole car for when i upgrade the speakers.
-GP-

Old 05-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Modded Member
Originally Posted by Gdup35sedan
Boris, i have the pioneer 6600DVD in my car (6.5" flip screen) and it works perfect with my bose system. The second i fired the sounds up after the install i instantly noticed better sound from the stock bose speakers and sub. I'll be replacing everything eventually like you plan on doing but you dont have to do it right away if you dont desire. My friend works at BB and he installed the HU for $90 and ran wire through the whole car for when i upgrade the speakers.
-GP-
What kind of wires need to be run? Is there a problem with the stock wires?

Old 05-01-2006, 07:30 PM
Aha you have a sedan. Ok so your system is a bit different. I was talking about the coupe. No there is still no problem using the factory wiring harness etc. You just need the Scosche NN03 Wiring Harness + since you have the premium package with Bose, the Scosche aftermarket hu adapter for premium sound systems. It converts the speaker line levels appropriately for the bose amp.

Anyway, with that stuff you shoudl be fine to run an aftermarket deck in your G, regardless of the BLOSE amp. Regarding recommendations for your audio, I could make a lot of recommendations, but you can't buy the stuff at Best Buy unfortunately. I'd say good luck there.

Old 05-01-2006, 08:10 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
I'm running the stock wires with the stock speakers, they thought they were gonna have to rewire the whole system but ended up not doing so, so they left the 16ga. rockford speaker wire in the car for when i do upgrade the speakers.
-GP-

Old 05-02-2006, 02:49 AM
ON
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I just replaced the head unit in my 06 coupe. sounds 100x better than that crappy "premium" package it came with. Did you use a LOC (line output converter)? If not, its definitely something you want to invest in. :-) its only $17 at wal-mart. helps reduce the electronic static from the factory system.

Old 05-02-2006, 08:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Yume
I just replaced the head unit in my 06 coupe. sounds 100x better than that crappy "premium" package it came with. Did you use a LOC (line output converter)? If not, its definitely something you want to invest in. :-) its only $17 at wal-mart. helps reduce the electronic static from the factory system.
Did you keep the stock amplifier and speakers in place? And LOCs are not necessary, I have no LOC and I have no "electronic static" (I'm running the stock HU with aftermarket amp and speakers).

Old 05-02-2006, 10:49 AM
Modded Member
I ended up buying the speakers. Now my system will consist of the following:

Pioneer Avic-D2
Alpine MRP-F450 Vpower Amp
Infinity 6010cs reference series
Infinity 6012i reference
1" spacer (two pairs) from ZEnclosures.

Is there anything else I'm missing or need to make the system complete?

Old 05-02-2006, 11:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd like a link to the zenclosures spacers. I tried to find them on ebay but was unable.

Old 05-02-2006, 12:05 PM
Modded Member

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car Audio HELP!