Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II Grand-Am Cup, JGTC , Procar SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures

Redline Time Attack Buttonwillow December 2&3, 2006

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Redline Time Attack Buttonwillow December 2&3, 2006

Had a nice couple of days in the Central Valley. Mornings at 6AM were rather nippy, around 27-29F, but engines like that cold dense air, and the days warmed to around 60F, bright and sunny.

Lots of fast cars, lots of fast drivers, had some really good sessions out there.

Avo was out there in a G35 with his ATI Procharger and until the brakes were cooked, doing very nicely. My little coupe managed a 2:06 on Saturday during the practice sessions, running Configuration #13 clockwise, and I am pretty sure I did better during the competition on Sunday, but the times were not available for those who did not finish first, second or third (and the first two in my class were pro drivers in sponsored cars, so not much chance of hitting the podium there!). Still and all, nice people, good fun, learned a lot and did not turn it upside down.

For the crowd that likes action, there were a couple of cars totalled into walls, several more blown engines, and a couple dozen cloud raising dusty off track excursions to keep things interesting and entertaining. Off track, well the Central Valley is not like Central Square in Manhattan. You have to drive about fifteen miles to get to the nearest soda machine. Bring a book.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:26 PM
Former G35driver Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like it was fun and great racing weather. Heard MikeA had some good sessions.

What's next on your track schedule? Cal Speedway on the 10th? (I think it's the 10th)

Old 12-04-2006, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was good seeing you again Ed! It was indeed a fun weekend despite me totalling a brand new authenic C-West kit. Times aren't posted yet, but Modified.com has their pictures and review up.

How are you Viet?

Old 12-04-2006, 06:47 PM
Scott Bush (WA2GOOD) Stillen charged G35 - Practice only.

Bob Sauer (NavyGolf13) Built JWT TT 350Z - Practice only.

Steve Mitchell M-Works XS Engineering 350Z - Blown motor during practice.

Mike Alvarez (mraturbo) JWT TT 350Z - Modified RWD 3rd Place, Unlimited RWD 2nd Place

Ed Reiser (Eagle1) Built JWT TT G35 - Modified RWD

Me - Built JWT TT 350Z - Street RWD, Modified RWD, Unlimited RWD

?????? - Street RWD

Avo - Procharged G35 - Practice only.

Steve Mott (knight_white99)- JWT TT 350Z - Street RWD

Old 12-04-2006, 06:58 PM
Former G35driver Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 350ZNV
It was good seeing you again Ed! It was indeed a fun weekend despite me totalling a brand new authenic C-West kit. Times aren't posted yet, but Modified.com has their pictures and review up.

How are you Viet?
Doing good, I was soo trying to make it out for this event. But I left my house on Friday morning butt crack early to be in SD for JWT to work on my FX, and than butt crack early to be at Cal Speedway on Saturday for street legal drags. Wife was not happy to hear I wanted to leave again Sunday morning to drive up to Buttonwillow.

Sorry to hear about the bodykit. atleast it happened during it's intended use and not a street fender bender.

What's next on your track schedule?

Old 12-04-2006, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by rookie
Doing good, I was soo trying to make it out for this event. But I left my house on Friday morning butt crack early to be in SD for JWT to work on my FX, and than butt crack early to be at Cal Speedway on Saturday for street legal drags. Wife was not happy to hear I wanted to leave again Sunday morning to drive up to Buttonwillow.

Sorry to hear about the bodykit. atleast it happened during it's intended use and not a street fender bender.

What's next on your track schedule?
No worries . The body kit really disapointed me durability wise. I will not be running C-West again, its too fragile for an amateur track racer .

I am going to take a while off of the racing and get some more stuff worked out on the car. I will also be in Australia from Dec. 17th to Jan. 4th, so I don't think I will hit a track again until late Jan. at Big Willow with Speed Ventures, or even just wait until February at Cal Speedway for the 2007 Redline Time Attack season opener.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:29 PM
Hey, Mike....they drive down there. On the wrong side of the road maybe, but they drive. Get onto the net, find a track, rent one of those Holden Monaro cars and get heavy with the right foot.

Good to see you this weekend, and nice driving!

Old 12-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Wish I Could Of Gone, Car Down Right Now, Just 15 Mins From My House.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:00 PM
I think that they will be back next year for another run, G Twin, and of course at Cal Speedway in March of next year.

The nice thing about this first experience for us, is that it gives us an idea of what kind of times are going to be out there, and what kinds of cars and drivers (all pretty good!). But in addition, that there are a lot of people out there just having fun and safely too. You don't have to be in the mode of wanting to compete for a podium when there is no earthly chance for it (like in unlimited class with factory sponsor teams duking it out). You can go with a few buddies and just see how your best stacks up against each other, or other types of cars with similar minded enthusiasts.

You can get out to BW with one of the track groups and work on your car set up and see how you do. Basically, if you can get yourself to under 2:10 you are going to be very respectably viewed. If you get it to under 2:05 you are going to be "fast". If you get it to under 2:00 you are "smokin!!!!!!!!"

I will do this again. But if my friends are showing up....it is almost more like "no way will I miss it".

Cheers

Old 12-08-2006, 11:54 AM
Finally got my time for the Sunday run, a 2:05.497. More than a second off the 2:06.722 Saturday practice time. Probably 1.5 seconds slower than the lap I was running until I went OTE on the final turn. Ooops.
Best time for a G35 all weekend.
Of course, I was the only g35 running for the competition that weekend.
Seventh on the second session on Sunday, as among all cars in the rear wheel drive modified class, so lots of room for improvement clearly remains.

Old 12-08-2006, 10:48 PM

Entering Cotton Corners, inside right wheel over the top of rumble strip

Riverside sweeper, unwinding steering at apex at 100-105mph

Entry to Bus Stop, right wheels at edge of rumble strip

Turn in to Bus Stop

Apex at Bus Stop, left inside wheels on rumble strip

Old 12-08-2006, 10:51 PM

oops, here is the turn in. Sorry.
Mike B just taught me how to post pictures.