Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II Grand-Am Cup, JGTC , Procar SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures

Need advice about first track day

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice about first track day

Hi,

The Vintage Auto Racing Association (VARA) is organizing a University of VARA session on Feb 10th & 11th at the Buttonwillow Raceway park.

http://www.vararacing.com/Overall1.html

I plan to go for it since it seems to be more of a training course than a track day. There were some things that I was concerned about before signing up.

- I am 6' 2" and I am not sure if I would fit in my stock 06, G Coupe with a helmet. Where can I go and try out a helmet?
- Has anyone heard of VARA and this University of theirs? Any feedback?
- Are the insurance clauses different for any damage that occurs on a race track? I have comprehensive and liability.
- I have a stock black 6MT with a clear bra. Any precautions I need to take to protect the paint? I have heard using 3M masking tape helps. Any after effects when you remove the tape?

Thanks.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will fit, but may need to rake the seat back angle depending on your torso length. Figure two additional inches to your head height position now.

Most insurance policies will not cover track days, but check your policy. you may have an exclusion for driver education....but most do not allow it.

The blue painters masking tape is good to use, and it does not impact the paint adversely. Good idea for your light lenses.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:13 PM
1) You should fit with the helmet.. you might have to set your seating adjustments slightly.

2) About your insurance.. I've heard many different answers to this question. Some insurance companies will cover if they condone "driver education" such as Eagle1 stated above. If you tell your insurance company that it was just a "track day" then they'll probably tell you that you're on your own. But an "educational driver's course" will more likely be covered.. especially with the paperwork of the univeristy.

3) Blue painter's tape is perfect for track days. You might be traveling behind other cars a lot of the day.. and since the tires are going to be getting pretty hot from all the laps... rocks will be sticking onto the tires, being kicked up. You should tape up the headlights, and whatever isn't clear bra'd up front .. you could even do the side view mirrors too. I also suggest doing the splash guards on the front and rear, right behind the wheel wells, because rocks from your tires are going to be kicked up right onto there too. Painter's tape leaves basically no residue.. so you'll be okay.

Have fun!.. don't go faster than you think you can go. Remember, you're there to learn, not impress anyone with how many times you can flip your car lol.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the useful information.

I borrowed a buddies helmet and had to recline the seat more than usual to be able to comfortably move my head.

The weather forecast shows rain on the weekend, so I am still contemplating whether to sign up.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Others may have another view, but for the first time out, I don't think a rain day is the best way to start. Fine if you are going to be with an instructor on a skid pad doing car control drills and learning about slides and recovery, etc., but not on a full track circuit.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There's a DIY on lowering the driver's seat, although I'm not sure if it would apply to the '06. I'm 6'2" also, and the modification helped. You might still have to recline the seat, but it won't be as severe. When I have some free time, I'll see if I can find the thread. G/L

Old 02-05-2007, 05:32 PM
Thanks Zoom, I have seen the thread that you are talking about. I have not yet tried it out though. Pro'lly on the weekend.

Looks like I won't be signing up for the course due to rain.

Can anyone recommend another organization/community that organizes similar reasonably priced training in So Cal?

Old 02-13-2007, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by yaabi
Hi,

The Vintage Auto Racing Association (VARA) is organizing a University of VARA session on Feb 10th & 11th at the Buttonwillow Raceway park.

http://www.vararacing.com/Overall1.html

I plan to go for it since it seems to be more of a training course than a track day. There were some things that I was concerned about before signing up.

- I am 6' 2" and I am not sure if I would fit in my stock 06, G Coupe with a helmet. Where can I go and try out a helmet?
- Has anyone heard of VARA and this University of theirs? Any feedback?
- Are the insurance clauses different for any damage that occurs on a race track? I have comprehensive and liability.
- I have a stock black 6MT with a clear bra. Any precautions I need to take to protect the paint? I have heard using 3M masking tape helps. Any after effects when you remove the tape?

Thanks.
Slide your @$$ up front in the seat. I did the seat mod and even took out some extra goodies under the seat that I hoped would lover it but not nearly enough room to fit a helmet.

Like I said just slide your @$$ up towards the front of the seat. It can be uncomfortable on your back for longer rides but I found for short rides it's ok.

Good luck reporting a insurance claim if they find out you were autocrossing. Just get someone to tow it to the side of the road then make the phone call .

I've seen people use painters tape. It's not really stickey and seems to comes off without residue. I haven't looked closely though.

EDIT: Try looking for a SCCA orginization in yor area. SCCA.ORG then click on find a region near you. Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by GWord256; 02-13-2007 at 07:21 PM.