Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II Grand-Am Cup, JGTC , Procar SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures

Which Seat Belt Harness ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Seat Belt Harness ??

Looking to get a seat belt harness for the stock seats in my G coupe. Will only be using it for AutoX/Track, not on the street. I don't want to run a harness bar, so I'm looking for one that works with the stock front/rear seat belt mounting points. Haven't decided if I want to go with the snap-in or double-release mounts yet.

Any G's out there running some sort of harness? Even if you don't, what type do you recommend:
3pt or 4pt? Or if you have a 5pt, can you safely use it without the crotch belt (making it a 4pt).
2" or 3"?
Competition/Pro style Cam-lock or Tuner/Clubman style buckle?
Any specific brands to recommend or steer clear of? The Takata, Sabelt, and Schroth ones are a bit spendy, so I'm probably looking more into Sparco, Corbeau, G-Force, and Pyrotect. Open to other suggestions I'm not yet aware of, too.

Thanks for any info. you guys can share. Thanks!

Last edited by Triple8Sol; 04-18-2007 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Nobody on here is running a harness without a rollcage or harness bar? Somebody out there has got to have tried one that uses factory mounts.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:33 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
If you just want something simple, check these out....
About 80% as effective as a harness... cheap & effective.

CG Lock

Old 04-19-2007, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by inTgr8r

CG Lock

those are money i hear ... i would look into Sparco they have a wide variety of belts .. not too expensive either

Old 04-19-2007, 02:45 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by inTgr8r

CG Lock

this is a great mod and you're only avenue if you aren't running a roll cage. Even if you get everything mounted, they may not let you race with that setup. (they didn't at SIR where I have auto-Xed in the past)

Old 04-19-2007, 03:36 PM
They're pretty lenient in AutoX. I've seen that CG lock thing, and while it work for holding your hips in place, it doesn't do anything for your torso...

Old 04-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
They're pretty lenient in AutoX. I've seen that CG lock thing, and while it work for holding your hips in place, it doesn't do anything for your torso...
You're right... only a full harness will do that.
But, it helps & you don't have to push as heavy on the dead pedal to stay in position in the seat.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:37 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want to get a harness bar,I can get them.
I installed one in "balla's " G.

Attached Thumbnails Which Seat Belt Harness ??-p1010274_1_2_1.jpg  
Old 04-20-2007, 02:15 AM
Thanks for the offer. Not looking to get a harness bar, since I will still be using the factory seatbelt everyday, and possibly on the track if they don't allow me to run the aftermarket harness (most likely can only be used in autox). Need easy access to the rear seats as well, and don't want to deal with installing/uninstalling the harness bar all the time.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:26 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm running a Corbeau 4pt snap-in for autox and time trials. Installs in under a minute. I'm pretty happy with it.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:20 AM
Originally Posted by balaguru
I'm running a Corbeau 4pt snap-in for autox and time trials. Installs in under a minute. I'm pretty happy with it.

Awesome, you're running a harness I've been seriously considering. I looked at the pics on your website, but what's up with those mounts? Did you make those yourself? I thought the snap-in brackets were supposed to mount to an eyebolt that goes into the mount under the rear bench, where the stock seat belt buckles are mounted. Is it safe, the way you have it?

Old 04-21-2007, 10:20 AM
Like you I wanted a harness more for holding me down rather than for safety. The stainless steel rings that I use are rated at 1500lbs static load. The general rule for safety equipment is build for 10g's and I weigh a little under 150lbs. I assumed the OEM belt that I attach to has a similar or greater load rating, but I don't know that for a fact. As for the angle of the belts my sholders are at or slightly below the top of the seat back helping to keep some of the compressive force off my spine.

Ideally, though, you'd want to install the eyebolts that you mentioned and use the pillar mounts to keep a more favorable belt angle. I just couldn't figure out how to make it work. It was so long ago, though, and I can't remember what was holding me up.

Hopefully, I'll never have any emperic data as to how safe this all is. This is just for solo afterall and there's nothing to hit where I run.

EDIT: I may be wrong about the 10g generalization. I tried to verify in one of my books but couldn't seem to find the reference.
EDIT2: Ah, found it: pg 6 of Puhn's.

Last edited by balaguru; 04-21-2007 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:01 PM
im actually selling my sparco harness in red if ur interested. $80 shipped. Its brand new. pm me if ur interested.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:15 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
What about the hooks on the rear deck for the baby seat mounts? They would offer better angles for the shoulder harnesses rather than mounting to the seatbelts which is dangerous

Old 04-23-2007, 07:53 PM
I thought about the baby mounts. My reasoning for going with the belts was that they presumably could handle more stress.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which Seat Belt Harness ??