Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II Grand-Am Cup, JGTC , Procar SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures

First Track Day

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 09:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 636Racer
Sounds more like drag racing, not HPDE/Road Course type venues.

I've got to give Scootch some credit. He did go out there and beat the **** out of his car. Even it it was only for 15 seconds. Congrads on the win too, I got knocked out in the first round. Guess I'm not made for the drag racing scene. Oh well, Pulling off lateral G's is more fun for me anyway.

I'm regretting not getting the photographer at the HPDE I did at NHIS to take some photos of me. I guess there were 2 photographeres there and one of them said he's post pix on his web site for sale but noone seems to know anything about his web page. Oh well next HPDE is on the 23.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by obender66
I recommend VDC on. Bleed the brakes!Keep no loose stuff in the car.
Obviously you never been on a track. VDC would be in the way the whole time. You do NOT want to leave this on.

But the rest of the stuff recommended is good. Bleed the brakes with new high temp fluid before going. And if they start to fade, on any run, after the run, make sure you bleed again, and sand the pads down a little and rotors with some light sand paper. This will get you going again.

No loose stuff in car, make sure to have your tow hook in the front bumper in case they need to pull you out, its ready instead of them trying to grab your car from anywhere.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:18 AM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by 636Racer
G35/350Z cars love trail braking. All it is, is braking during a turn to keep the front end loaded. It's the cure for understeering, unless your countersteering. G35/350Z love that too But your lap times wont. Also, dont get too greedy on the throttle when youre exiting turns. If your VDC is on, it will bog the car. If your VDC is off, the car tail wagging all over the place...either way, you'll lose some time.

Other than that..it's about about having fun and making new friends.

Sounds more like drag racing, not HPDE/Road Course type venues.
This is a big no no on a track and a reason why many go off the course. You brake then turn then accelerate in the turn.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by G35_TX
This is a big no no on a track and a reason why many go off the course. You brake then turn then accelerate in the turn.
Agreed. Only the more advanced level drivers who have had proper instruction on trail braking should do this. Novices should not be attempting this technique whatsoever. Plus there are so many other important things novices need to learn first like proper lines, smoothness, heel-toe, looking ahead, etc.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by G35_TX
Different strokes for different folks and no corner should be treated like the other.

The only time I've found myself going off is if I dont execute late braking the way I intend it to be. Like braking WAY too late.

Last edited by 636Racer; 08-02-2007 at 03:51 PM.