Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II Grand-Am Cup, JGTC , Procar SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures

SCCA Classification Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SCCA Classification Question

I was hoping to do some autocross this upcoming season and I wanted to remain (at least until I really get the mod bug) in the Stock Class. Not knowing as much as I probably should about auto mechanics, I have been having a tough time interpreting from the various resources I have researched whether the CAI and Z-tube will move me into the Street Prepared class. I 'm thinking that it will (which is a shame as it's mostly for sound rather than the 1whp it would add ) but I just wanted to make sure.

Also, aside from tires as the #1 improvement. How do you some of you rank the other Stock class allowed improvements. I was thinking about adding some Hawk HPS pads along with and a front sway of some sort. Maybe shocks and springs down the road when I can sneak a couple grand past the wife to do the job right. Cat back exhaust I don't intend on doing. I'll do a full exhaust system later as I prep for F.I., but I'm not throwing money away if I don't have to... yet!

Any input and/or constructive criticism would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 02-25-2008, 11:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
CAI and Z-tube move you to SP. Tires, front roll bar and shocks probably make the biggest difference in stock. Pads probably aren't worth much since you brake so little in autox. Per rules, springs must be OEM. Cat back exhaust probably isn't worth much either, but I did toy around with the idea of inserting a turn down after the cat that I could bolt in just before races.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Got a chance to check out some of the videos in your sig. Good stuff!

Old 03-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
our coupe can run in B stock class if there's no "engine" modification...
and the stock class has the biggest loop hole, you can run R compound tires and use whatever shocks that you want.

even SM and Street touring class has to run DOT tires.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Class smass, just got out there and RUN!

Bala pretty much summed up stock class.

Quick question, are plenum spacers allowed in BSP? I thought I read somewhere any mods after the TB were not allowed.. I'm not sure though.

Last edited by istan; 03-12-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gunluvS14
our coupe can run in B stock class if there's no "engine" modification...
and the stock class has the biggest loop hole, you can run R compound tires and use whatever shocks that you want.

even SM and Street touring class has to run DOT tires.
Not sure why you were put in B stock. F stock is the legal class. SM can run run R comps too they just must be DOT approved R comps like the stock class (Hoosiers, V710, etc). Street touring can run any DOT tire with a treadwear rating of 140 or greater.

Originally Posted by istan
Class smass, just got out there and RUN!

Bala pretty much summed up stock class.

Quick question, are plenum spacers allowed in BSP? I thought I read somewhere any mods after the TB were not allowed.. I'm not sure though.
Air filter to intake manifold is free in SP as long as you don't modify the traction control system (i.e. keep the throttle by wire).

Speaking of rules I've been looking at the NASA time trial and road racing rules and they look really interesting. I like the point based system that they have put together. I've been playing around with the idea of picking up a used C5 vette and prepping it for some road racing. I've seen some on autotrader for $17k. Hmmm ... maybe in a few years.