Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II Grand-Am Cup, JGTC , Procar SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures

G35 Coupe Handling Characteristics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 09:24 AM
N80
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
G35 Coupe Handling Characteristics

I'm considering taking my 06 6MT for a track day (HPDE) event sometime in the near future. I've never done it before so I'm a complete noob.

As a first timer the car's handling characteristics will probably not be a big issue for me. But, I'm just curious, in the car's stock setup (the 6MT has sport suspension (beefier springs and antisways) and 19" rims) what are its typical handling traits? (Mine has new summer high performance tires on it.)

I've done some 'sporty' mountain driving but I don't think I ever pushed it hard enough to 'feel' any issues. Maybe just a hint of understeer....but that might just be bad driving, I don't know.

Anyway, what are potential handling deficiencies I might experience on the track?

And, if they are well known issues with the car, are there simple things that can be done to remedy them.

Thanks for any help.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:32 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
since no one jumped in on this I can give you some advice. First off, before a high speed track day I always recommend a lower speed event such as an autocross to learn your car. Typically they are held in a big parking lot with some type of cone config. to learn your car. This is a very safe way to learn the limits of your car at a lower speeds. Your can check with local shops/clubs to see if this is avail. in your area. This car is on the chunky side so make sure your brakes are in good condition with clean fluid. Ultra summer tires are good but grip is somewhat limited and you will experience more push (understeer) than a R-comp. tire which I suggest if this is something you want to continue doing. Same goes for oversteer do not stomp the throttle upon corner exit or you will get sideways (rear) and have to fight for control, ease the throttle (feather) and gently accelerate out of the corner, you will learn the limits of the tire quickly by listening to the breaking point (tire squeel). Also try to get most of your braking done if not all of it before entering a corner, or you will find the rear breaking loose in mid corner making it difficult to regain control. Keep your steering smooth and fluid and avoid jerking the wheel in mid corner as well. This car is very balanced but the weight transfer has to be addressed and predicted if possible. There, I hope this helps but practice and safetly knowing your limits are key.

The following users liked this post:
N80 (08-19-2011)
Old 08-19-2011, 10:07 PM
N80
Thanks man, excellent advice. There are autocross events near me from time to time. Will look into it.

And I do plan to get track pads, stainless brake lines and fluid flush-n-fill before I attend a track day.

Fortunately if I do a track day event it will be with an instructor and I will be in the slow/beginner group and I'll ask to be in the back behind the slowest minivan.

The instructors move you up as you improve.

If this looks like something I want to do again I'll look into some track tires....and some new struts....and new antisways.....$$$$$$$$....I'm kinda hoping I don't like it.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:30 PM
No problem. While you are learning, the stock suspension does very well. I have the sport tuned suspension and have not yet replaced anything suspension wise and have a blast. Eventually as parts wear out I will upgrade to slightly stiffer/lower springs/ shocks, but for now i am happy as is. Tires are going to be the greatest asset as you gain confidence and speed around the track.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:44 PM
N80
I was kind of surprised to find that you can get decent track tires for not much more than summer high performance tires. Hankook makes an R-3 tire for less than $140 each. They did not review as well as the Hooziers or Goodyears but they were way less expensive with the Hooziers at $266 for 245/40/17s. I'm guessing that once your driving skill improve you eat these soft tires pretty fast.

Anyway, I'm a long way from needing track tires.

I will put in a plug for a great magazine I found the other day at Books-a-Million. It is called Grassroots Motorsports.

www.grassrootsmotorsports.com

It has an emphasis on road course, autocross and rally racing on a budget. It is well done and this issue has got tons of info for budget minded lappers and racers.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:15 AM
The Kuhmos (sp.?) R -compound tires are a good compromise for grip at a decent price. Thats what im running and I have 3 track days and 6 or 7 autox days on them with some rubber left, only a little though..

Old 08-29-2011, 12:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A simple trick you can try is to run slightly different air pressure in your tires.A small difference(2-4 lbs) between the front and rears can affect handling.More in the front will increase turn in and oversteer.More in the rear than the front will increase understeer or push.Hey, it's easy and cheap!