Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II Grand-Am Cup, JGTC , Procar SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures

2006 Colorado track day

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 02:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 LaJunta Raceway Track Day Syllabus February 19, 2006

Disclaimer: Motorsports is an endeavor that inherently involves risk to both driver and vehicle. While the organizer/instructors will attempt to provide a safe and fun experience for each participant, this in no way guarantees against any type of personal injury or property damage incurred during the day. Participation in any portion of this track day is voluntary and any risk incurred is the individual responsibility of each driver/passenger. The organizer/instructors assume NO liability for any accident, which might occur during this event. In agreeing to participate in this event, each person agrees to these conditions.
Sunday Morning

8:30- 9:00 a.m. We will leave the hotel and travel to the track, located north of town at the LaJunta Airport, to meet the LaJunta track manager. Every driver will sign the track waiver and pay the $35/car fee directly to the manager. Be aware that refunds are not available once your car is on the racetrack. Please find a spot on the south end of the paddock to unload your car (all unnecessary items OUT of the cockpit). Please check that all wheels are properly torqued to 85 ft/lbs and check tire pressure is set. The track will be secured via a fence surrounding the facility for the day.
9:00- 10:30 a.m. After getting situated, meet at the north end of the track in single-file order. Instructors will begin by checking each driver’s seating position in the car and hand positioning on the wheel. The initial driving exercises will use cones; please be patient as we reset the course between each exercise. We’ll talk about vehicle dynamics, including threshold braking, weight transfer, oversteer/understeer and how to read them during these exercises.

1) Threshold braking exercise (may be combined with wet/dry combo)
-Accelerate up to cones before applying brakes- come to full stop.
-Z’s listed static weight (F/R) balance is 52/48%. What does the balance change to under braking?

2) Accident avoidance exercise (similar to threshold braking exercise, except braking/steering and a heel-toe downshift are combined into the maneuver).
-Accelerate up to cones and brake HARD while using proper hand movement on wheel to swerve around obstacle(s).
-Try going around both left and right sides- is it easier to go one way than the other? Why? Keep in mind the next time you practice this exercise, it may be in a traffic jam!
LaJunta Raceway 2006 Track Day p. 2 of 2

3) Skid pad constant acceleration and handling exercise.
-We will use cones to mark a circular skid pad course. Each car accelerates around the skid pad until it achieves maximum traction.
-Note whether the front (understeer) or rear (oversteer) loses traction first. What happens if you abruptly lift off the throttle? How about touching the brakes at the limit? Take five laps each direction.

10:45 a.m. After a brief break, we will conduct a walk-and-drive reconnaissance of the entire 1.4-mile road circuit and demonstrate brake, entry, apex and exit points around the circuit. After this, we will break into smaller groups and instructors will lead students at slow speeds for 4-5 laps around the track. Please pay particular attention to the rhythm of this deceptively “simple” racetrack. Use your eyes to track ahead and pick up the right braking point, turn-in and apex for each turn- as well as when and where to feed-in throttle as you exit a turn.
LUNCH BREAK- (please check tire pressure as temps rise)
After lunch, let’s discuss how to use the fundamental skills we practiced in the morning session to help us manage the weight transfer and subsequent understeer/oversteer conditions on the track.

We will increase the speeds as we again follow single-file behind the instructors and use a ‘leap frog’ passing technique to get each person the opportunity to follow behind the leader. Note that we will gradually increase speeds and slowly move-in our braking points. Note what happens with an early apex vs. a late apex turn (at LaJunta an early apex is often rewarded with a dusty trip as you run out of room at the exit). After these sessions, we will stop for a break and talk about limited passing rules for the remainder of the afternoon. Before going out, again check tire pressures as track temperatures and speeds will both increase (keeping G35 or 350Z tire pressures under 40# will aid grip). Drink some water and stay hydrated! If your brakes need a session to cool-down, feel free to ask one of the instructors to let you ride along for the next lapping sessions, which will be at speed. Should you begin to feel tired or fatigued at any point during the day, please do not hesitate to stop and take a break. Remember that the grand prize for the day is to increase your awareness and knowledge of high-performance driving and your reward is to take your gorgeous car home- INTACT- once the day is over. We will stop hot lapping around 4-4:30 p.m., secure the track and head back north. Plan on stopping in Pueblo for dinner and enjoy recounting the day with your friends!

Old 02-13-2006, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any suggestions if we don't have our own helmet??? Just FYI- I was planning on driving down with everyone on Saturday but might have to help someone move instead. Still undecided about when I'll be doing the drive but I'll definitely be there. Any other suggestions on stuff to bring aside from lunch?

Old 02-14-2006, 12:29 AM
I'll bring along one spare helmet, but no assurances that it will fit properly. FCFS. Keep in mind that if you decide to drive to LaJunta separately, you'll need to be there by 9 a.m. Sunday morning to sign the waiver and pay the track manager. Otherwise, if you snooze, you definitely lose!

Suggestions for other items: small tool box with torque wrench, air gauge, metric wrenches and assortment of hand tools for your G. Paper towels, glass cleaner, hand cleaner and some painters tape (for the front of the car). Brake fluid, antifreeze mix, spare can of oil and a small container to hold it all. Vest, jacket, sunglasses, hat and gloves. Several bottles of water or gatorade and lunch. The list goes on- it's definitely more than just lunch!

Old 02-14-2006, 04:50 PM
!#@$!@#$. I'm downgrading my status to "iffy". I'm HOA President in my neighborhood (a job with all the prestige, status, influence, and salary as that pigeon that crapped on my car last week) and the city is running some program to help us xeriscape as much as possible (water shortages and all every freaking year). The meeting is the 16th, so I figured it wasn't even close to being a conflict, but now I find out that we also may need to meet with xeriscape engineers on Saturday afternoon to walk the property and discuss options. My VP is out of town and I don't know that I trust my Secretary/Treasurer to ask all the right questions. Grrrrrrr...........

So, I'm going to try and reschedule, or figure something else out, but as of this moment, I'm screwed.

Old 02-14-2006, 11:42 PM
By 'iffy', does that mean 'if I can possibly wiggle out of this, I will'?

And when will you know if you'll have any 'wiggle room'?

Old 02-15-2006, 12:50 AM
This changing weather is really messin' with my mind. As of Tuesday, it looks like low temps have really moved into the area through the weekend, but I'm more concerned with snow/rain COMBINED with freezing weather for both the drive down and in LaJunta itself. As we all know, snow + G's do not easily mix. Perhaps we should just bill this as a World Rally Championship sideways training event? LOL

Haven't made any hard decisions for this weekend yet. Stay tuned and let's hope the forecasts get better...

Old 02-15-2006, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by dkmura
I'll bring along one spare helmet, but no assurances that it will fit properly. FCFS. Keep in mind that if you decide to drive to LaJunta separately, you'll need to be there by 9 a.m. Sunday morning to sign the waiver and pay the track manager. Otherwise, if you snooze, you definitely lose!

Suggestions for other items: small tool box with torque wrench, air gauge, metric wrenches and assortment of hand tools for your G. Paper towels, glass cleaner, hand cleaner and some painters tape (for the front of the car). Brake fluid, antifreeze mix, spare can of oil and a small container to hold it all. Vest, jacket, sunglasses, hat and gloves. Several bottles of water or gatorade and lunch. The list goes on- it's definitely more than just lunch!
Much appreciated for all your help and info regarding this matter. I'll keep my fingers crossed for good weather.

Old 02-16-2006, 12:48 PM
Well, the weather moved in today. I've been checking the forecast and it looks like more snow on Saturday as well. I'm assuming the event might have to be rescheduled???????

Old 02-16-2006, 10:41 PM
Talked to the LaJunta track manager tonight and they got snow today. Even worse, the temps throughout the weekend are forecast to be below freezing. Besides slick roads up and back, it's no fun to be facing ground blizzards on the eastern plains, so I'm sorry to announce that this weekend's track event is CANCELLED and will be rescheduled for the following weekend (2/25-26).

On the plus side, the advance forecast for the following weekend looks positively tropical, with temps rising up to the 50's on Saturday the 25th. I realize this delay will be a disappointment for some, but compromising safety and freezing our a$$s off isn't worth it. Maybe there'll even be some who were busy this weekend and want to make it the next. We'll keep the same schedule in leaving for LaJunta on Saturday (2/25) and running our track event the following day.

For those with hotel reservations, don't forget to cancel and change the dates. Stay warm (and work on that car in your garage) this weekend and please confirm if you're still in for next weekend.

Old 02-18-2006, 10:31 AM
Well, it's a snowy Saturday (2/18/06) here in Denver. I'm assuming that jl9618, Lloyd and w@ntonsoup (no HOA meetings that day) remain as the only G35C drivers who will make next weekend. Would each of you please confirm you're coming and whether you're joining up on Saturday for the drive down or doing the red eye express on Sunday.

The weather forecast continues to look good for next weekend!

Old 02-18-2006, 01:45 PM
I'll be there next weekend. It actually worked out better for me cause now I'll be able to make the drive with you guys on Saturday

Old 02-18-2006, 03:56 PM
It got so cold last night my pipes froze

Old 02-19-2006, 04:59 PM
Any confirmation on the LaJunta track day from Lloyd and W@ntonsoup? Will you be traveling down with our caravan on Saturday?

Old 02-21-2006, 10:44 PM
It appears that all interest in the LaJunta track day (now scheduled for 2/26/06) has died here. For anybody with an interest... here's link to a Z site with a active thread on the event: http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159701

Old 02-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Sorry David, been busy at work. I have to go to Salt Lake City, can't make the Sunday. Wish I could though. Have fun.

Lloyd

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2006 Colorado track day