G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Body, Interior, Exterior & Lighting (DIY) (https://g35driver.com/forums/body-interior-exterior-lighting-diy-232/)
-   -   DIY: side marker blinker mod (https://g35driver.com/forums/body-interior-exterior-lighting-diy/24918-diy-side-marker-blinker-mod.html)

GRider35c 05-20-2004 05:06 PM

DIY: side marker blinker mod

Step 6: Make the Connections
Now it's time to put it all together. Cut the black wire that runs from the main light wire harness to the side marker light. Grab the portion of black wire that goes to the side marker light. Strip 1/4" of the wire jacket and crimp on the wire extension. The below image will help explain this in more detail.

http://www.6mt.net/mod-g35-sidemarker.php

question on this step: when you cut the black wire from the main light wire harness to the side marker light, isn't the portion that goes to the main light wire harness still "hot" and shouldn't it be capped?? (im not an electrician, so bear with me please)

2004/BO/G/aero/splash/prem/perf/cc/22%tint

dave 05-20-2004 07:23 PM

Re: DIY: side marker blinker mod

The Black wire is a ground, it's not "hot". But yes, it's a good idea to cap it.

2004.5 DG/G 5AT Coupe with all options
Sidemarker turnsignal mod
GroundingGear™
2003 Yamaha YZF600R

GRider35c 05-20-2004 09:10 PM

oh, so we're actually hooking up the negative wire to the blinker? i would have never thought of that... good show!

2004/BO/G/aero/splash/prem/perf/cc/22%tint

fluffydot 05-21-2004 08:02 PM

Nice find!

as far as I can tell, they're splicing the (+) wire that goes to the turn signal and re-routing the ground of the side marker to it?

so when you are not blinking, the wire is same as ground but when blinking, the wire goes to +12V to make the side marker blink also

can anybody comment on whether this is safe?

Jtrain 09-04-2005 10:43 AM

Can somebody explain this in nub terms- I've never handled wires in my life.

Or update that picture that was there? Or something? I'd like to do this

dave 09-04-2005 11:49 AM

Here is a new link to the DIY.

Does that help, or do you need more information?

godmans 09-04-2005 01:05 PM

That's a indeed a very good question.
To myself, i have heard of this DIY long time ago,
but never really went through the wiring details of it.

However, according to what i know, i personally won't
do it by routing the ground of the clear corner to the
positive (12V) of the turn signal.

I will try to put together a better explanation later this week..when i have
the time.

chilibowl 09-04-2005 08:21 PM

would u know how to make the clearance strip the blinker?

godmans 09-04-2005 11:34 PM

You would need to find out the exact wiring details for the clearance strip.
However, what you are going to do for the clearance strip is just the same
for making the clear corner blinks

Cheers,
Godmans

anish3232 09-05-2005 12:32 PM

http://media.putfile.com/Movie_0001936214

Did my mod today. Looks really good.

badtziscool 09-05-2005 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by anish3232
http://media.putfile.com/Movie_0001936214

Did my mod today. Looks really good.

I just noticed in this video that when you turn on your parking lights, only the side marker turns on and not the actual blinker light.

In the original video of the diy creator, he has it so that they both turn on. Is there a difference between the sedan and coupe?

anish3232 09-05-2005 03:08 PM

Both turn on when the headlights are on the Blinkers alternate, but when they are off the flash together

anish3232 09-05-2005 03:09 PM

Only in the coupe the orange lights light up the sedan does not light up at night

jaedoggz 11-02-2008 12:19 PM

this is my turn signal mod

i did this a month ago about. if you like i'll do a quick write up if you guys want to do it too, let me know.

takashi kastl 11-03-2008 01:57 AM

Um, i read what other people wrote about hooking up the blinker to the clear corner, my guess would be tie in the green wire from the blinker to the red of the clear corners red wire. but i havent dont it myself. i have however done the blinker in the clearance strip. i got plenty of pictures of the install so if you need help just PM me.

jaedoggz 11-03-2008 01:06 PM

it hard to see the amber while the white strip is on

codeflux 11-03-2008 01:14 PM

holy ancient thread revival, batman!

takashi kastl 11-09-2008 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by jaedoggz
it hard to see the amber while the white strip is on

\
Since that video ive opened my headlights again, and replaced the stock blinker with a 2switch 7443 led bulb, and rearanged the position of the orange led so it is clearly visible. Im gonna make another video soon.

Beebo 11-10-2008 08:50 PM

i did this a month ago about. if you like i'll do a quick write up if you guys want to do it too, let me know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-co4vZb9wxQ

2 bulbs? blue and arange?

Details please

Thanks,
Wes

jaedoggz 11-18-2008 07:45 AM

i used one bulb. it is call switchback bulbs. it stays white with your running lights on and shuts off and blinkes amber during turning. you have to customized the back of your turn signal to fit a larger bulb.

Beebo 11-20-2008 08:51 PM

i used one bulb. it is call switchback bulbs. it stays white with your running lights on and shuts off and blinkes amber during turning. you have to customized the back of your turn signal to fit a larger bulb.

Where did you buy the bulbs?

DIY?

jaedoggz 11-25-2008 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Beebo
Where did you buy the bulbs?

DIY?

you can find them on autolumination.com but like i said to have to buld the back of the lens so a larger bulb could fit

Beebo 11-29-2008 08:37 PM

you can find them on autolumination.com but like i said to have to buld the back of the lens so a larger bulb could fit

Thanks

broke_as_ajoke 02-04-2009 10:11 PM

I have notice one different videos that.. 1 video) the clear strip blinks when the turn signal blinks and then turns back white or clear when it's not blinking) 2 video) when the blinker blinks the clear strip turns amber.

To me these DIY's seem to be confusing.. Then one guy said he use a different bulb, however the "video 2" the guy didn't say he used a different bulb.. Someone tell me if i'm wrong

potmilkz 08-04-2009 01:22 PM

i want to do this but it seems confusing as wel.. maybe someone can clear things up?

jaedoggz 08-04-2009 04:34 PM

ok guys, my car is the one that changes color, white while running light is on and alt. amber when flashes. if the running lights arent on they flash amber. i think mine was the second video.

1. i bought these bulbs called switch back bulbs.
2. i bought a 3 way bulb socket. (3 wires)
3. i ran 1 wire to the (+) wire on my front
turn signal to the side marker.
4. build a different backing on the side maker to fit a larger bulb.
5. splice and sodered another wire into the (+) wire
6. splice and sodered another wire into the (-) wire
7. you are not going to use the old socket, i did this so if i wanted to go back to stock the socket could be accessed.

A. so now you have the 1 (+) from the front blinker
1 (+) coming from the running light
1 (-) coming from the running light
B. after you made the new light socket fit into the back of the lens
now
C. after everything fits good here comes the easy part the wiring.
D. connect the (+) wire from the front blinker to the new socket (green or white) wire. i forgot the colors
E. now connect the (-) wires from the running light the new socket wire.
F. connect the (+) wire from the running light to the new socket
G. you should have 3 wires all together going to that socket

and that is it. sounds like alot but it really isn't. all you are doing is running a (+) from the blinker to the side marker. and connecting the running lights pos. and neg. to a 3 way socket. just like any other factory 3 way bulb would be wired. the hardest part is fitting the new socket in the lens. that sould be it, good luck.

Beebo 06-27-2010 01:51 AM

bump. what type of shop would know how to do this?

pythonjosh 07-06-2010 12:36 PM

Beebo, anybody that knows wiring can do this.
I dunno what shop would do this, but if you had a shop do this for ya, they'd probly rape ya without lube.

I'd do it for $50 if you were in so cal.

paky786 10-06-2010 12:51 PM

So basically in that DIY, you are running the black wire to splice into the purple-white for passenger side and then black wire on driver side to green-white wire and that's it right? The DIY was somewhat confusing on how to wire it all up

R10T_x 10-15-2010 02:18 PM

Thats sick i wish i was brave enough to try this

Nomad397 10-21-2010 11:32 PM

i just tried this mod on my 03 g35 sedan. the wires are green on the pass side and on the drivers side for the "hot blinker" i spliced it to the ground on the side marker and got bad results. the side marker dimmed to about a quarter of the brightness and did flash when the turn signal was on but it was too dim...

NMG-4 10-22-2010 12:06 AM

I just didt this mod on my 05 g35 sedan and works perfet,I do this,plug the black wires from the side markers in to the green/yellow wires coming from the front turn signals.
driver and pass are the same.

salamsg35 11-04-2010 02:36 AM

i'm trying to add LED strip light on my front bumper and i want to hook it up with Signal, so its always on and flashes with the signal, can i do that?

paky786 11-04-2010 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by salamsg35 (Post 5460008)
i'm trying to add LED strip light on my front bumper and i want to hook it up with Signal, so its always on and flashes with the signal, can i do that?

Yes, you can do that. But might want to get some feedback on where you install the LED's because most talk trash about it looking rice or something.

plonka 12-17-2010 03:11 PM

I just did this mod today on my 06 coupe. It took about 15 minutes per side. Easiest mod by far.:)

eagles512 12-19-2010 05:04 PM

i just did it on the drivers side on my 07 coupe. black side marker wire to the green/white blinker wire. the side markers turn on but when i turn the blin ker on, it blinks once and then stops blinking. any solutions?

plonka 12-20-2010 12:24 AM

Did you tap the black side marker wire into the green/white wire in the main headlight harness. It should be about 7 or so wires in a tight bundle. This bundle goes to the back of the turn signal. There is also a green and a black wire that goes to the HID bulb (the top light) and a green/yellow wire that goes to the bottom light . Do not tap into the last two mentioned. You'll tap into the purple wire on the passenger side.

rhamkybeatz 06-20-2011 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by jaedoggz (Post 3587691)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-co4vZb9wxQ

I like that you should definetely do a write up on that..

Trickstyle 06-29-2011 03:51 AM

sooo all i need to do is cut the hot wire for my side marker light and hook it up to my city light's hot wire? does my side marker need to share the same ground wire as the city light? lastly, did you need to up the fuse for your city lights? or are they already sharing the same fuse? thnx

Trickstyle 06-29-2011 04:07 AM

ok sry, just re-read teh DIY again and i get how to do the setup buuut... but im still confused lol i just dont understand how connecting a negative to a separate positive will complete teh circut! how the heck is the side marker getting its ground?! unless Nissan made the black wire hot and the red wire ground lol... did they?

indiandrives1 07-01-2011 01:55 AM

When doing the right turn signal, it would be a green wire with yellow trace, not a green wire with red trace, right?

desertsleepg35 09-13-2013 01:07 AM

so i followed the steps for the diy guide with my 04 6mt coupe...but my sidemarkers only turn on when i switch off my lights and turn signal or push hazard. they dont stay on when my headlights are on or dont flash(or alternate in this case) when i signal my intent. i tested this with lights on, auto, and off. anyone else run into this problem or know how to fix???

serega13 11-14-2013 04:39 PM

I couldn't get DIY to work so I did the following: connect black wire from sidemarker to green wire from turn signal. Here's the result:

Khammy 07-14-2014 03:49 PM

Just got done doing this mod on my 06 g35x. I was worried at first but I followed the directions and it turned out fine. Only difference on my car was that both passenger and driver side wires color I taped into was green/white.

bdflyer 09-25-2015 10:10 AM

G35 Sidemarker Light Mod

Completed this little project yesterday on my newly-acquired 2006 G35 Sedan (212K miles--am I crazy?! :icon30:). Like Khammy, I also have green w/stripe wires on both sides. Looks/works great and I like having the additional 'safety feature' :biggthumpup:

.cakestar 08-29-2016 02:05 AM

this is not the correct method to do this modification. it is basically sending power back through the positive wire of the turn signal and down through to the ground. this will not work correctly when the parking lights are not on. you could basically force it to work by getting a switch back led because the polarity is reversed when the parking lights are off. the correct method to do this is to use the diodedynamics tail as turn modules. after a couple hours of fiddling and soldering i finally figured it out.

i originally had it with diodes both feeding the positive line of the side marker because i thought the parking light was less voltage like 6-7v but it turns out the parking light is a full 12v and when the turn signal is activated, it does nothing. then i used the method in the diy but it wasnt all that bright, it was super dim with the parking lights on. i was going to use a resistor to dim the parking lights down with the diodes down until i remembered i had purchased the diode dynamics tail as turn modules previously and wasnt using them. this make the side markers function absolutely perfectly. when parking lights are on or off. im freaking ecstatic after messing with it for hours i figured i would share.

this module will also work on the 7443 turn signal mod as well on the 06 head lights. if you want to have a parking light on the turn signal and then have it flash when turn signal is on this will do it. i have the 7443 plug mod so i wont need it but for all those 06 and up head lights that were looking at doing the 7443 dual filament mod you can easily just use the dd module and skip that step

Finiamh 02-14-2017 10:17 AM

[QUOTE=.cakestar;7073554]this is not the correct method to do this modification. it is basically sending power back through the positive wire of the turn signal and down through to the ground. this will not work correctly when the parking lights are not on. you could basically force it to work by getting a switch back led because the polarity is reversed when the parking lights are off. the correct method to do this is to use the diodedynamics tail as turn modules. after a couple hours of fiddling and soldering i finally figured it out.

Can you do a write up perhaps?

Swaglife81 06-13-2017 02:11 PM

Just to clarify. The tail as turn module used on the rear turn signals can also be used on the front for the correct way to have the side marker as a blinker and regular blinker work correctly when all lights are on ?

.cakestar 06-13-2017 03:59 PM

yep but the only small thing to note is that the tail as turn modues will cause the blinking to be out of sync with the rest of the turn signals if the lights are on. so like ur front blinker will not be in sync with your side marker blinking if the parking lights are on. its just how the module works. for mine i tied the front turn signal to the side marker turn signal so they are both in sync but it will alternate if the tail lights are on if that makes sense

Swaglife81 07-08-2017 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by .cakestar (Post 7108847)
yep but the only small thing to note is that the tail as turn modues will cause the blinking to be out of sync with the rest of the turn signals if the lights are on. so like ur front blinker will not be in sync with your side marker blinking if the parking lights are on. its just how the module works. for mine i tied the front turn signal to the side marker turn signal so they are both in sync but it will alternate if the tail lights are on if that makes sense

I did my turn signals like the original OP. With lights off the side marker and turn signal blink in sync with each other, perfect, not dim.

When headlights are on is when they blink out of sync. That's what I don't want, I want my side marker and blinker to blink together. So is there a way to do that. Leaving the rear alone, just mentioning that because you said the rear was out of sync. I want everything in sync or close to it when my lights are on and I hit a blinker. I'm kinda scared Ill get hit with a ticket for alternating lights or some thing. I didn't see you replied to this from my email notifications so I guess I missed it.