DIY: g35 coupe trunk removal and rear seat removal for trunk swap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 06:46 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Kerry Garrison
Correct, swapping the struts out is a 5 minute job. You will want a small flat screwdriver to pop the retaining clips off and its dead simple. Make sure you have a friend or a long stick to hold the trunk up.
I tried to reinstall my OEM trunk but the shocks are a PITA to get lined up in the hole because it has so much pressure. Is there any tricks how to do this? Thanks in advance!

Old 06-20-2014, 11:17 AM
eZg
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I vaguely rem seeing a video on YouTube where a dude compressed the strut before installing. Seems like he somehow used a couple small buckets.

look on youtube for installation video.

good luck

Old 11-04-2014, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by idrive_MD
Proceed with the following at your own risk!!!!

This will be the first part of this DIY, if its your first time attempting something like this and you want to take your time doing it, I'd say the total time in just removing the trunk lid with or without spoiler would be 30-45 minutes.

To properly do a trunk swap for the sake of one person going wingless and the other going winged, you should also switch out your rear deck panel. This gives the newly wingless a third brake light and it also allows the newly winged to have only one 3rd brake light as opposed to two of them. Now if you were wingless before and had your window tinted, you probably will want to get it done again as now you'll have a clear hole in the tint from where the tinter more than likely tinted around your interior 3rd brake light. Something to consider if you haven't tinted your car yet and want to eventually swap out trunks.

Now for the fun stuff, I borrowed some of these photos from a previous DIY on spoiler installment.

Tools needed for the trunk:
1x small flat-blade screw driver
1x 3/8'" ratchet and 12mm socket
1x 12mm hand wrench (closed end prefered)
1x extra set of hands for removing or holding up lid when it comes time to.
1x set of standard pliers

1.Remove trunk release handle from its dock, slide cable through the handle so that the skinny portion of it is easily pulled from its grip:

2. Take flat-blade screw driver and carefully pry the dock away from the trunk panel:

3. Locate the push/pop caps on the trunk panel (shown in red)

4.Take flat-blade screw driver and pop them out one by one:

5. Put the caps securely in a ziplock bag or somewhere you will not lose them:

6. Your trunk should now look like this:, remove brown plug (from spoiler) and remove the black and white plugs from the lock assembly:

7: Using the pliers, remove clips holding the harness into the trunk and then feed the harness through the OEM holes which also requires you to remove the rubber boot plug thats in the trunk:

8. Take flat-blade screw driver and pry open the retaining clip on the trunk shocks, I chose to do the top ones which will be obvious later on. I also did not switch the trunk shocks as they seemed to not be different. Once the clip is off or moved out of the way, pop the shock mount off and away from the trunk, have a friend hold it in place for you as now there is nothing to hold up the trunk anymore:

9. Take ratchet and 12mm socket and begin to loosen (not remove) the bolts holding the hinges, the ratchet may only reach the forward and middle bolts:

10. Take the 12mm hand wrench and losen the rear most bolt of the trunk hinge (by rear most I mean the ones closest to the tail lamps):

11. At this point you and your buddy can go ahead and remove the bolts from the hinges while holding the trunk up in place.

12. Once the bolts are out, carefully break the seal holding the hinges to the body, a little bit of forcefull prying and swaying of the hinges will do this for you.

13. Now one side at a time, remove the hinge from the body and the inserts holding it in place.

Viola, your trunk is off, install is the opposite of removal!

....more pictures and details to come later, sorry.
I just bought a new trunk but it doesn't have the black latch think that closes the trunk. Is the one from my old trunk removable by any chance? I really need to know before time so I can know to return it to eBay sender. I have the knowledge to remove trunk because of this thread but I notice it wasn't mentioned. Really nervous rn... Just paid $315 because mine is dented.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:40 AM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by privatecorye
I just bought a new trunk but it doesn't have the black latch think that closes the trunk. Is the one from my old trunk removable by any chance? I really need to know before time so I can know to return it to eBay sender. I have the knowledge to remove trunk because of this thread but I notice it wasn't mentioned. Really nervous rn... Just paid $315 because mine is dented.
yes you should be able to remove it

Old 11-05-2014, 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by jerseytaylor
yes you should be able to remove it
That's a relief, does anyone have pics or vids on how to do it? Last time I looked at it it didn't look too easy.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:37 AM
So today I went to the junkyard and bought a G35 wingless trunk for $100 (paint was horrible and needed to be repainted asap) I have a 03-05 ugly iron board spoiler.

Anyways as I was doing the swap, I searched for almost 30 mins for the darn brown plug you guys keep talkin about. I could not find it and just gave up. my car has a yellow and green cable running from my white and black plugs that went into the spoiler. I cut them because the trunk wouldn't come out without that. I bought the car used and I guess it came with the rear 3rd brake light shelf. It had both that and the wing brake light. But the rear inside one doesn't light up.

My question is where the hell is my brown plug to connect to that shelf?!?!?!

Last edited by Jadenkid22; 04-11-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:37 PM
Bump, I need that 3rd brake light

Old 12-01-2016, 02:55 PM
can someone explain how to remove rear seats please. Thank you