I'm so mad I'm shaking right now...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 02:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
im not sure if that's actually a 'problem' on the G's especially the coupes.

im happy if my rears lasted 10-11k miles on mine. just replace the rears.

Old 05-24-2006, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess the thing that gets me is how can 1 set last ~36,000 miles with even wear, and another 10,000 with uneven wear? That's what gets me. Seems that if one can do it, then if properly aligned, then the other set should too.

I just got off the phone with the dealer. I had to call them, because they didn't bother to call me. Seems that my car WAS out of alignment. Now, here's my thing. I know the local tire shop here in town says that if your tires wear prematurely, and you get an alignment every 3000 miles, they'll cover it. I know they're not the dealer, but in around 3000 miles, my car came OUT of alignment, and in the same time, the tires wore to the belts. Why is this my fault? Why do I have to pay for a new set of tires, when an alignment that I paid for a month and a half ago that they were supposed to perform was not done or done incorrectly, and my tires wore because the wheels weren't aligned right? Why is that my expense?

Old 05-24-2006, 05:01 PM
You got a good argument there. You paid for an alignment service and new tires 3K miles ago. They screwed up on the alignment or didn't get you new tires. You should at least get something out of it besides a bill for new tires.

Old 05-24-2006, 05:40 PM
Premier Member

Exactly same thing happened to me. Dealer screwed up the alignment, tires wore out in 5k of miles, dealer refused to replace tires even after I showed them how much off it was from NTB. Screw Infiniti. I am sick of there sorry *** service lately.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:52 AM
Well, I went to pick up my car yesterday. Conveniently my service consultant didn't call me till he was "on the way out the door," so I had to go yell at someone else. I got one of the assistant Service Managers.

When I said that there was something wrong with my car, the first thing he said was, "Yeah, somebody's been spinning the tires." I again said that I was the only driver, and no, I hadn't been spinning them. He took me to the service bay and showed me one of my tires (as if I didn't know what they looked like) and he showed me a dark band across the inside (most worn) edge. He said that this band was proof that the tire was spinning...I said, no, that's the spot where it's the most worn and the belt is about to come through. Conveniently, they already got rid of the tire that was worn to the belts. I basically kept saying that if I had been spinning my tires, and they were aligned right, there should be these "spin" marks across the whole tire. After all, the WHOLE tire spins, right? Geeez. But he pretty much ignored that.

I got my alignment spec sheet. Just as I told them it would be, the big issue was toe. All 4 wheels were out of toe. The specified range for front toe is 0 - 0.08 degrees. My front left was -.89, and my front right was .90. The rear range is 0 - 0.22 degrees. My rear right was 0.24, and my rear right was **1.52** degrees!!!!! Total toe was -1.28 degrees. Almost 3 times the specified range. Yet they again said that I must've "hit a pothole or something." I reiterated that I only drove the car for a month and a half. It wasn't like I had it for a year. Plus, ALL 4 wheels were out of whack, not just 1. I told the guy that if I was back in there in 3000 miles, I'd be expecting new tires for free, and he said, "We don't sell tires, so we don't guarantee them." I pretty much said, well, you DID sell me MY tires, so you DO sell tires, and if I'm back, something I'm getting charged for isn't getting done right.

Bottom line, as the previous poster said, I am thoroughly fed up with Infiniti service and their "Must've been you doing something dumb because we didn't do anything wrong" attitude. Completely. They take ZERO responsibility for what happened to my car, and all they can do is make false claims. I called consumer affairs and logged a complaint, but nothing came of that yet either. I still am waiting for someone to explain how a properly aligned tire can wear just the inside edge from "spinning" alone. And also how a car can not only get knocked out of alignment that badly, but also so early as to wear the tires down in 3000 miles if it was done correctly in the first place. This is a CAR. Driven on paved roads, not a Jeep that you take curb hopping.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:43 PM
Premier Member

Customer Affairs will not return your calls. Don't expect Nissan/Infiniti to handle this. They never do. I tried that route many times and gave up. This will be my last Nissan product.

Old 05-26-2006, 08:41 PM
I dont think the warrantee on our cars, or any for that matter covers the alignment. Usually, when you blow a bunch on money on tires, its a good idea to have the alignment checked. Im sorry you feel like you are getting screwed around, but it seems like something put the rear end out of alignment a while back (seems like it somehow lowered if the negative camber has increaed) and you are wearing out tires now.

Good luck...

Old 05-26-2006, 08:45 PM
I have seen a few people say they have given up on Nissan/Infiniti, but dont give up on the car, just give up on that specific Dealership, I have had a few issues with my 2005 6mt, and when I went in there and was very polite, they fixed everything quickly and without giving me any BS. This was Niello of Concord, California BTW.

Old 05-26-2006, 08:48 PM
ok if your having to have your transmission replaced im sure the dealership must think that you are driving the hell out of your G and so thats why they are saying you are spinning the tires

its not really normal for someone to have to replace there transmission at such low mileage if they are taking an easy on there car .... just my .02 cents

Old 05-30-2006, 03:57 PM
Actually, if you read around, there's been quite a few problems with the early run 6MT transmissions. I got my car in December of 2002, and I slowly developed a grind on the 2-3 shift. It got to the point where it would do it regularly when the car was cold. It's been reported by quite a few other drivers on the board. I agree that it's not common for a car to need a new transmission so early, but it is a somewhat known problem with the early run 6mt's.

I had tried several times to get it replaced at Rosenthal Infiniti in Tysons, but they just always stated that they couldn't reproduce the problem. I changed to Infiniti of Chantilly hoping they would do a better job because Rosenthal is notorious for being bad with service. My first visit to Chantilly was great. I reported the same tranny problem I did to Rosenthal, and they took care of it. I was happy with them till this tire issue.

FWIW, I paid for a full alignment on my car when I got the tires in March. I've had my new tires on the rear for 4 days now and have driven about one tank of gas. I'm just waiting for the same wear patter to rear its head. I don't know why, but I think the problem is deeper than alignment, and not from me knocking something out.

I know it's all heresay and that you guys probably take the same viewpoint that the dealer took, that it HAD to be driver abuse/misuse, and I understand your point about the transmission, but bear these facts, and compare them to the averages for early generation G35's...

My brakes (Brembo) didn't need pads till 45,000 miles (longer than average). I didn't need my first set of new tires till ~36,000 (now have gone through 4 more sets of rears and 2 fronts) I haven't lowered the car. Only added Stillen sways. I don't race the car. I don't track the car. I don't autocross. I drive my car to and from work and such, and honestly, the VDC is ON 95% of the time.

I guess only time will tell what the real problem is. Maybe I'll be lucky, and it's been taken care of, but I can't help but think that I'm on a run of several bad alignments. I think the fact that the dealership is ignoring is that in the 1.5 months I had the car with the last set of tires, I did not really have a chance to drive it that far (~3000 miles) to knock an alignment out. I know it can be done by just driving home, but I didn't hit anything abnormal, and certainly wasn't hard on the car. On top of that, if that was the case, not only would I have to have knocked it out, but I would've had to knocked it out within the first day or so to have enough wear to run the tire bald in a month and a half.

I don't know. I'm just 0 for 2 in Infiniti dealerships. I've NEVER had the same service consultant twice, even this time (with 1.5 months between visits) and all I've ever gotten is excuses. If my dealership was up the street that woudl be 1 thing, but it's over an hour away to BOTH these places, so I can't exaclty just swing in for a check-up every day or two.

Old 05-30-2006, 04:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if the middles of your tires are worn they are over inflated then

Old 05-30-2006, 06:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What am I missing you must accept the individual alignment numbers, then you pay for the alignment, have them keep doing it until the numbers are correct.

Personally I have and pay for an independent to do a PRECISION PERFECTION alignment every 90 days............what's an extra $70 x 4 when tires run $1100+ plus of course demount and flips at every other 90 day oil change add some other costs.

Performance tires require performance maintenance!

Old 05-30-2006, 06:23 PM
You need to press this issue. Go to the dealer and talk to the GM about this problem. The toe alignment proves that the tires are worn due to incorrect toe. Toe kills tires not camber.

Old 06-08-2006, 04:01 PM
g35rcr: The middles of the tires weren't worn. The inside edges were. It wasn't an inflation issue.

Q45tech: I never received an alignment spec sheet for the first alignment I got in March with the first set of tires. I did pay for one, but I honestly took them on their word that one was done. The second time around (a few weeks ago now) I got the spec sheet, and everything was aligned to acceptable standards. My issue is that I had an alignment, and 45 days later, I had 2 tires worn to the belt. Even with your statement of getting an alignment every 90 days, which is what the local tire shop said too, I wouldn't have made it on those tires. So either they failed to perform the alignment on the first set of tires, or something is wrong with my car that is causing the car to come out of alignment VERY quickly. (And I know I've heard it a million times, I must've hit a pot hole or something to knock it out, but I promise I hit nothing out of the ordinary, didn't drive on bad roads, and honestly 3/4 of those miles were on the highway, nice smooth roads, not to mention, the toe was off on all 4 wheels)
Any idea what could cause toe to "unalign" quickly, OTHER than the "You must've hit something" theory?