changing shocks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
changing shocks

Hey guys,

I took my car to the infiniti dealer because my suspension is really messed up and my car looses control on the freeway around 70, and they said that my rear shock is worn out and needs replacing. They are only going to replace the one shock. I thought you always replaced shocks in pairs. Its covered under warrenty. Does any one have information on this. I really think they need to replace both of the rear shocks. I am at 52 thousand miles, so I only have 8 thousand miles left on my warranty, so if they should replace both shocks I should request it now. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Old 08-25-2006, 12:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
only reason they gonna cover that one shock is cause of warranty... they will loose money obviously if they replace the one that is not needed... if you know your dealership well they could hook you up... but other than that just see how much it will cost for the other one

Old 08-25-2006, 06:04 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sixtyacura2
Hey guys,

I took my car to the infiniti dealer because my suspension is really messed up and my car looses control on the freeway around 70, and they said that my rear shock is worn out and needs replacing. They are only going to replace the one shock. I thought you always replaced shocks in pairs. Its covered under warrenty. Does any one have information on this. I really think they need to replace both of the rear shocks. I am at 52 thousand miles, so I only have 8 thousand miles left on my warranty, so if they should replace both shocks I should request it now. What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Replacing both sounds reasonable. I am not a suspension expert but normally shocks would be replaced in pairs just like you would do with brakes. Anything else leaves a potential weak or unequal relationship between sides and a margin of being unsafe.

What exactly is wrong with the one shock that has "messed up your suspension" and causes you to "lose control around 70" ?