Brake rotor/pads wearing out, needs to be replaced. any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake rotor/pads wearing out, needs to be replaced. any suggestions?

I have a 05 X AWD sedan with 30,000 miles exactly.

Dealer told me if i change to oem brake rotors and pads, it will only last another 30k miles.

So im thinking of upgrading to aftermarket high performance brake rotors and pads. I know that pads should be replaced every 30,000 miles but ROTORs should last longer than that especially high performance.

Im a newbie here, so please help me answer the following questions regarding rotors and pads

1) Looking to spend 1000$ or under on rotors and pads (the whole set). How is stop teCh?, brembo?... these are the only 2 i know so far, how many miles will the rotors last? I have heard BRemBO do not need to be replaced untill 80,000 miles under normal driving conditions, is this true?

How is stop tech?

2) any other brands of rotors I should be looking at?

3) how about pads? what are some options?

4) I want to get either cross drilled or drilled (with holes) rotors, are they within my price range? what are the difference in performance between cross drilled/slotted and drilled?

5) If i machine my current rotors, how long will it last? another 5k miles? But i guess my pads need to go badly

6) how much is installation cost for new rotors and pads at local shops? approx...ly?

thank you for answering

Old 11-09-2006, 05:37 PM
Haha, some of these questions are in a thread that I just started too...

What I do know is that to get a whole new break kit, i.e. Big Break Kit, you're going to be spending more than $1k. However rotors and pads can be change/upgraded within that budged. Hawk HPS and Project Mu NS and BForce seem to be the most popular. You will get pros and cons of each. I finally decided on the Project Mu NS pads due to (what I think) less complaints of noisy/squeeling pads and a good cold bite. Both will dust less, and both rely on a good setting of the pads after installation.

For rotors, well, you can keep OEM, or get something slotted or drilled. Slotted and Drilled rotors don't really do anything for performance (so I've read), but they do look cool. The cross-drilled ones have been known to crack, so I'll probably get slotted rotors when I have to replace mine.

As far as tolerances for rotor replacement, that should be easy to measure. It's rotor damage that would warrant replacement that I am unsure about. Granted if they're warped, then resurfacing is a good option...

Hope that helps a bit. I'll be checking back here in hopes someone else will answer the rest of your questions!

Old 11-16-2006, 01:53 AM
any other replies?

Old 11-16-2006, 07:47 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Axxis makes good, affordable pads.