Megan Racing coilovers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 07:57 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Megan Racing coilovers

I read some reviews on my350z, but was wondering if anyone with a G35 has them. The spring rates are kinda high at 448 front and 560 rear. I was wondering what the min and max lowering are and comfort level. The review on my350z was good from the people who have them and bad from people who have never had them and refuse to believe they can make a quality product. I want to hear from G guys since our cars are more luxury oriented (I don't want to lose my fillings).

Old 12-20-2006, 02:07 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
I have them. IMO, based on what your saying and how your saying it, make another choice (btw, spring rates are 560/448 you listed them backwards no biggie). HKS RS, or Bilstein PSS9 comes to mind.

Originally Posted by plumpzz
How do you like those megans? Quality wise, and ride wise. Im afraid to buy from that company, but you definately know what youre doing interms of suspension. Also, where did you get nismo adjustable end links. AND LAST Q! Are you supposed to drop the car down to tighten down the sway bar bolts to the endlink?

The quality of the parts that make up the Megan coilovers are fine, nothing bad and nothing super outstanding, just the kind of satisfaction you get when nothings wrong and the price you paid makes sense with what is laid out before you. Ride wise, I run them with very high dampning settings in order to bring rebound control up, would prefer less compression dampning, but I can't stand the poor rebound performce I end up with at lower dampning settings. As it stands now, around town is perfectly fine. As speeds increase they still have some issues when bumps come in a series, single bumps are a non issue at any speed.

Old 12-20-2006, 02:54 AM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Thank you for replying, it's nice to hear from the suspension guru himself. Honestly I'm trying to be cheap, under a grand. I currently have the sport suspension and wouldn't mind something a little more sport oriented. I looked towards the Bilstein, but I don't want progressive suspension. I was also considering the Tein Basic, but would like dampening adjustability. I'm not a racer, but do drive aggressively on curves when no one else is around.

Why do some companies have heavier spring rates in front, some in the rear, and some evenly weighted? If you can direct me to a link I would appreciate it. Also what is the minimum drop of the Megan's over stock; I want something that will not drop initially more than a half inch (another reason I am leaning away from the Basics).

Last edited by 5150DS; 12-20-2006 at 02:57 AM.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:07 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
The Bilstein's are progressive in the rear, something that should be too hard to eliminate one way or another and solve that problem.

The Megan's should be able to do a 1/2" drop, the Bilstein's should be able to do a 1" drop.

The reason behind the higher front spring rates is to keep the front tire contact patches as flat as possible and to keep as much rear traction avaliable for corner exit. Common tuning say's adding front roll stiffness will increase understeer. However, the same wisdom say's to test as you tune and be willing to make changes, even if said changes goes against the norm. I've run several different spring rate combo's, going stiffer in the front and not so much stiffer in the rear yielded better dynamics then going stiffer in the rear.

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236303