Nismo S Tune Suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 05:58 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Nismo S Tune Suspension

I can get a killer deal on a Z NISMO S Tune including sways. I take it this suspension should work just fine considering I already have an 06 Z suspension. I know the drop will be addition .6" which isn't that drastic. Any thoughts on the s tune susp? I didn't see where anybody was using this suspension.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It wouldn't really make sense for an 07 Z NISMO 350z owner to swap out their suspension since the cost difference between their car and a regular 07 Z is based on them getting the NISMO suspension package or are we on two different pages?.... If you got a good deal on it though I would be concerned with the extra drop in the rear riding on regular Z spring in the rear is about a 1 finger gap anything extra would be slammed. I would take the sway bars though.

Last edited by perry05G35; 03-16-2007 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
+1
I would use the sway bars.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the S-tune suspension. I like it. I originally bought the suspension for my Z back in 03. When I got rid of the Z, I installed it on the G.

Overall, slightly more aggressive than the Z suspension, but not drastic. The sways will flatten out the car in corners and do not impact ride comfort much.

Like the Z suspension, the drop is slightly lower in the rear. I am currently running a 3/8" spacer in the rear to even it out. I actually did this because I switched from 245/40/18 to 245/45/18 tires and the rears were very close to rubbing. I actually had a 245/45 a while back with no issues (Falken 451's), but for some reason the BFG KDW's I have now are bigger. I will go back to the 245/40 tire size next time, and probably take the spacer out.

If you have any specific questions about the handling, or anything else, let me know. I have some pictures I took last week and have been meaning to post them (I have had this setup for 2+years and have not posted pics), but I am in California right now, and do not have my camera. I will post pics next Thursday when I am home. My wife is on her way out to Cali, and she may have the camera with her. If so, I will post the pics tomorrow....

Old 03-16-2007, 11:34 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by jran76
I have the S-tune suspension. I like it. I originally bought the suspension for my Z back in 03. When I got rid of the Z, I installed it on the G.

Overall, slightly more aggressive than the Z suspension, but not drastic. The sways will flatten out the car in corners and do not impact ride comfort much.

Like the Z suspension, the drop is slightly lower in the rear. I am currently running a 3/8" spacer in the rear to even it out. I actually did this because I switched from 245/40/18 to 245/45/18 tires and the rears were very close to rubbing. I actually had a 245/45 a while back with no issues (Falken 451's), but for some reason the BFG KDW's I have now are bigger. I will go back to the 245/40 tire size next time, and probably take the spacer out.

If you have any specific questions about the handling, or anything else, let me know. I have some pictures I took last week and have been meaning to post them (I have had this setup for 2+years and have not posted pics), but I am in California right now, and do not have my camera. I will post pics next Thursday when I am home. My wife is on her way out to Cali, and she may have the camera with her. If so, I will post the pics tomorrow....

Pics would be excellent. I should be able to get this kit for around 600-700 for everything that has less than 100 miles on it. For a 2k suspension setup if you were to buy new, that is a hell of a deal I don't think I can pass up.

What is the stock diameter of the sedan sway bars? I know the nismo sways are 36mm f and 27mm rear.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:01 PM
Would you require a camber kit to be installed with the Nismo S Tune suspension?

Old 03-19-2007, 01:05 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by GTR_Boy
Would you require a camber kit to be installed with the Nismo S Tune suspension?

It drops the car another .6" lower than the z springs, so total drop would be 1.6". I don't think a kit would be required.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:24 AM
I've read that the Nismo S-Tune Suspension for the JDM Skyline Coupe drops it 20mm (0.8") front & rear. So for you using the Z's version of the S-Tune Suspension, I guess it would drop it differently as the spring rates are probably higher. I was under the impression that if the total drop is more than 0.75", a camber kit would be recommended. So if your drop is over 1" from stock setup, would you not require a camber kit?

Old 03-19-2007, 01:42 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Drop is around 1.5" (slightly less on the front, slightly more on the rear). I had my car aligned, and I do have some uneven wear. It is not bad, but not stock. If you want to align to spec, you will need to add some hardware.

I'll try to post pics tomorrow....

Old 03-19-2007, 01:46 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by GTR_Boy
I've read that the Nismo S-Tune Suspension for the JDM Skyline Coupe drops it 20mm (0.8") front & rear. So for you using the Z's version of the S-Tune Suspension, I guess it would drop it differently as the spring rates are probably higher. I was under the impression that if the total drop is more than 0.75", a camber kit would be recommended. So if your drop is over 1" from stock setup, would you not require a camber kit?
I also read the drop should be .8", but most are only see .6". I am dropped on 06 z suspension now, which is 1". I don't require camber kit when using coupe alignment specs. I think you could probably get away without using a camber kit even dropping the car another .6". As long as you stay on top of tire rotations, I wouldn't see a problem. I had my car aligned with coupe specs after dropping the car on z spring front and coupe springs rear. With the 1" drop up front, the left front camber was -1.10 and right was -1.05. The specified range was .25|-1.25. The rear with coupe springs, .5" drop was -1.48 right and -1.13 left. Specified range was -.75|-1.75. I haven't had the alignment done since I put on the complete 06 z suspension which only changed the rear suspension by dropping it another .5".

Old 03-19-2007, 01:30 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by jran76
Drop is around 1.5" (slightly less on the front, slightly more on the rear). I had my car aligned, and I do have some uneven wear. It is not bad, but not stock. If you want to align to spec, you will need to add some hardware.

I'll try to post pics tomorrow....

Still waiting for pics, bro.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:01 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Hybrid_DET
I can get a killer deal on a Z NISMO S Tune including sways. I take it this suspension should work just fine considering I already have an 06 Z suspension. I know the drop will be addition .6" which isn't that drastic. Any thoughts on the s tune susp? I didn't see where anybody was using this suspension.

If your not phased about the 1.8" drop the setup will net on your sedan and you feel the price really is a good deal, buy the S-tune 350Z shocks and springs and by all means install them. But, IMO kick the sway's to the curb and resell them then use the proceeds to invest in a front and rear adjustable bar setup.

350Z S-tune suspension has a long history of extreamly postive owner reviews. IMO, I would ditch the S-tune rear springs in favor of 04.5+ oem Z rear springs on cut down upper spring seats for the same ride height on 427lbs linear rates vs 504 progressive rears.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:52 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
How much would the upper spring seat need to be cut? What if I didn't cut the upper seat?

Old 03-21-2007, 12:27 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Hybrid_DET
How much would the upper spring seat need to be cut? What if I didn't cut the upper seat?

I'm not one to put it in anyone's head that you can cut those things with a eye towards getting a specific amount off cut off. In general, following the deep valley's in the part around in a circle as a cutting guide will net you a .6" amount of material cut off. If you use a dremel and finish those valley's smooth you will cut off .8" of material. What amount of material removed directly relates to rear drop amount.

If you don't cut the upper seat and your running oem revised Z springs on S-tune setup, you'll get a funky 1.8"/1" drop. You can alway's backfull what you cut out to fine tune the rear drop. I have 3/32" thick lexan spacers that I made for that.