Help: Wheel locks, dont have the tool.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help: Wheel locks, dont have the tool.

Ok well I bought my car used a little over a month ago and I was planning on installing my suspension today. I notcied that I had wheel locks on my wheels but couldnt find the proper lug nut tool in my car. So I was like great how could them give me a car with wheel locks but not the tool to take them off.

I've never had wheel locks before but I'm hoping that a lot of them are similar and maybe a tire/wheel place will have the proper tool to remove them.

They look like this...

Is this a common lock that someone will be able to get off, or am I out of luck?

I really want to get my suspension on my car!!

Old 10-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
crazy, i was just about to make this thread as well, i need one to, kragen and autozone dont have one, do i need to go to infiniti to get one?

Old 10-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Any ideas I would hate to have to order one online and have to wait even longer to get my car lowered.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
those shapes are actually computer cut to be different for each set they make. The company that makes them is at http://www.mcgard.com/automotive/ . Contact the place you bought the car from.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Take it to a dealership, I believe they have the master set of keys for all nissan issued wheel locks

Old 10-08-2007, 01:49 PM
Man thats what I was afraid of. I was just reading that site. I guess there might be a code on the lock. This is going to be a pain in the a$$.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by redlude97
Take it to a dealership, I believe they have the master set of keys for all nissan issued wheel locks
So do the keys differ by make or model? I'm hoping the nissan dealership might have something.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
So we cant just go to the dealership? i bought from private party and he didnt have it? does that mena im screwed?

Old 10-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by surfwb86
So do the keys differ by make or model? I'm hoping the nissan dealership might have something.
The key codes are random for each set of wheel locks, but there is only a handle of different ones. The nissan dealership will have it if they are the OEM nissan wheel locks

Old 10-08-2007, 02:00 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
^^cool im going to nissan after work, can you buy a key from there as well, i dont wanna have to go there everytime

Old 10-08-2007, 02:31 PM
Thanks.

Wow what a pain. I hope this doesnt end up being a big ordeal with me having to drive all over the place finding one that fits and then having to get a special key ordered.

I usually have bad luck with lug nuts. One time a shop did my alignment and I noticed a lug nut was missing when I got the car back. They said there was one missing from the beginning but I would have known if that was the case. So I ended up having to go to three auto store to find the right one that fit.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by ShanesG
^^cool im going to nissan after work, can you buy a key from there as well, i dont wanna have to go there everytime
No, you'll likely have to buy a new set of locks

Old 10-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
^^thats fine, as long as they can get my current ones off

Old 10-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
I lost mine too, I got the dealer to break the locks. New locks costed about $30 I believe, I don't remember the exact amount.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:12 AM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by MardiGrasMax
I lost my mcguard key once too. I took a 3/4" 12 point socket and hammered it onto the lock lug. It takes some swinging, but it will go on. It needs to go on a 1/4-1/2", then tray and turn the lug loose. It worked for me on all four. I'd advise that you put sonr rags or somthing around your rim where you are swinging the hammer so you dont miss and damage your wheel. Good luch.
Originally Posted by kev301
If its the factory lock, the dealer can take it off with the master key. I lost mine and i had the dealer take off for free because i purchase the lock from them. The lock was was 30.00 and it took like 10 mins plus you would get a new set of lock and a new key.
Originally Posted by j-velocity
I lost my lug nuts too and the dealer took it off for me and put a new set on.
It cost me $20 for taking it off and $30 for the new set.
Originally Posted by nosey
thanks everyone...i went to the dealer as well...they did everything for 65...herd chamber of boston is such a rip off...i cant believe they charged me 45 for the lug nuts...anyways..im just glad i got ones i can remove...finally i can put my rims on tonight...heheh...pics will be posted on another thread hehe
Originally Posted by DaVeeD
thats a factory lug key... the dealer should have a master set and be able to take it off for you... but you might have to buy another set... or just take all of them off and replace with normal lugs
Originally Posted by gary c
Spend about five minutes hitting the lock with freon
then smack it with a hammer and it will explode in
several chunks. At least it won't be a lock anymore.
Living life thru chemistry..........or did you look in
the glovebox for the key?
Originally Posted by Esoteric
I just went through this exact scenario. I went to change my springs this weekend, and realized that somehow I had misplaced the wheel lock.

I went to the dealer, and they told me I could order locks by quoting the number on the package that came with my original locks. Since I couldn't find the package and didn't want to wait a week for the new locks to come in, I just had them remove the locks from my car with a master, and bought new ones.

I wont lose thes new ones!
Originally Posted by BigSash
yep easiest solution is to rip em off (destroying them) and buy new ones
^^^

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help: Wheel locks, dont have the tool.