"mid life" renewal - 04 G35x

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"mid life" renewal - 04 G35x

Okay, I know im not the only one in the world here who needs shocks on their G35x.........I need help/suggestions - PLEASE!!!!!! (ive searched over and over an only found a few random threads that relate to X shocks)

My G has about 93k miles. My shocks are blown - I can feel it and HATE it - but its not as bad as my Maxima was when those went....... I need new ones - I don't particularly want to put the factory shocks (new ones) back on, as I would like to upgrade parts as I replace them. Are there any options besides having Tein (or whoever it is) make the cus tom mount for the front suspension? Im not particularlly looking to lower the car, but I wouldn't mind having it drop like an inch. But im also not going to spend boatloads of cash simply for shocks -

Also, I have the typical creak in the suspension. Im going to replace the Compression rod parts with the new part numbers (hopefully that will solve the problem and the creaking won't happen again in 15K miles......)

I would like to do everything in one shot, any other parts anyone would recommend replacing while im gonna be in there? Tie rods, etc? I bought new rims and don't want to get new tires and put them on until I get the new parts on and an alignment. The car tracks straight, and I don't have any kind of problems/noises, etc that would make me think that any parts are failing or excessively worn.

As a side note, I know that some people here have many more miles than I do, but for the miles I have, the car is still in great shape - minor problems, the one seat heater light blew out, no real rattles or anything, except the suspension. Only kind of mechanical problem I have had/have is every once in a while the starter doesn't totally disengauge immediately making a nice "GRrrrrrrr" sound. But this happens very few and far inbetween.

thanks in advance for ANY help and suggestions......

Old 10-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Can't speak to shock options, but you may want to consider replacing upper a-arms with adjustables if you plan to lower the car a bit so you can adjust camber, and because likely the bushings in your factory a-arms are pretty well worn. You also may want to replace other control arms if you're feeling spendy to refresh the bushings.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just replace every piece of front and rear suspension with a new rubber isolation bushings. Engine, tranny, and diff mounts.

Just think at 200k you'll get to do it again. My old Q has been rebuilt 3 times and is on the 5th set of shocks and 12th set of brake pads................never ending fun rebuilding cars every 100k.

Last edited by Q45tech; 10-10-2007 at 04:00 PM.