Project Mu Rotor, Stoptech SS Lines, and Nismo Pad Installation.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Just remember if you don't get it at first...hit it HARDER!!! PB Blaster is the best and I hope it works for you. In the 12th picture all the darker area is where the PB Blaster penetrated between the rotor and hub. Of course that is the front hub and they were much easier but... I have read and heard many people state how much better it is than say wd40 at breaking loose bolts...etc.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:50 PM
So how did the PB Blaster work. If it did not, what happened?

Old 01-13-2008, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, it didn't work, unfortunately. I banged the ever living sh*t out of the rotors with my rubber mallet and they didn't budge. I just ended up putting the new rear pads on and put everything back together. In hind sight, I should have soaked the rotors and let them set overnight. I'll know next time. Thanks for your help.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:26 AM
Wow...ok. Check out the video then from dkmesa350z near the end of my picturial here. He used a gear puller.

http://g35frenzy.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9587

Old 01-14-2008, 09:09 PM
Not sure if you guys did this. Did you loosen the ebrake?

After trying PB blaster, loosening the ebrake, and hitting the rotor in every way possible with a mallet, the rears still wouldn't come off. My rears were fused on for some reason. Had to beat them off with a 2x4 and a hammer.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:42 PM
an apt quote from one of my college professors: "if at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer"

Old 03-12-2008, 05:21 PM
I just realized I never posted my track experience from Sebring in November here...so...

If you look closely you can see the slots in the rotors...cool Photos by Colour Tech South Motorsports Photography.

But I give fair warning...new and improved brakes may cause an inflated level of confidence and oversteer!!!

Here I am finally thinking...OH ****!

OH...IT TURNED Back to steering so I don't hit the wall with the rear of my car instead of the front.

HAAA....Anyway...The car was fine and only mildly wet my pants. Just kidding...I $h1t myself...no really...I was fine...I am still recovering...

My track day in November was an absolute blast. The new brakes felt AWESOME. The initial bite was incredible compared to my old set up...which as stated before was only Hawk HPS pads and rubber lines so there should have been a big difference. I was able to brake later and harder with confidence. I still noticed a little fade, but it took longer to show up and was not as dramatic as with the HPS pads. I am not one to push my brakes after noticing any fade so I won't ever be the person saying I burned a set of pads in just one day. I am also still in the early stages of doing track days as this was my fifth event in 2.5 years. All this being said, any fade I did experience eased by just taking a couple of corners easy or a slow trip through the pits and heading back out. Recovery time was much less than what I ever previously experienced. My last session of the day was 45 minutes with just me in the car...my friend/passenger was just watching...and I never felt uncomfortable about the condition of my brakes. The track was pretty clear and I felt I was pushing the car pretty good. These Nismo pads are still no dedicated track only pad, but I have a good amount of front pad left without any noticable pad deposit on the rotors. I did observe pad deposit on my original Brembo rotors with the HPS pads...though it never turned into the throbbing pedal "warped" rotor situation. I am happy with my new setup and would definitely do another track day with the Nismo pads. I am also very happy with the rotors and ss lines. Cold initial bite is still good even after the track day and there is no pulsation in the pedal, no squealing... nothing but strong braking. The brakes are easy to modulate and the brake pedal travel is less than what I remembered before doing the upgrade. After installing the HPS pads during my last brake maintenance I wish I had stayed with the OEM pads. This time there is absolutely no regrets.

Oh yes...and since the Project Mu rotors are basically black chromed or whatever that treatment is called and the rears are painted in the center there is no rust forming on the rotors outside of the contact surface.

Thanks for the compliments and the advice about the copper anti-seize.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good write up , will use for reference.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:54 PM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
are these rotors lighter than OEM? thanks for the write up

Old 06-12-2009, 11:30 PM
Yes the front rotors are noticably lighter due to the 2 piece design. The rear rotors should be about the same weight as stock. I have not been at a track day in a long while but I am still very happy with this setup. There is also no visible sign of rust either so they still look great too.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:25 AM
Great writeup guys. I used this and a great video from infinitihelp.com

http://infinitihelp.com/diy/gcoupe/p..._procedure.htm

To do my first EVER brake job on my 05 coupe. I did the fronts yesterday (DBA gold 4000XS rotors and Akebono Ceramic pads) and will tackle the rears today. Highly reccommend this setup....... Looks sweet too!

Old 05-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
nice setup, i run a 2pc front & 1pc rear w/my Brembo's as well. i went w/the DBA's, but i've always liked the PMUs

Old 08-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great write up! And after 3 years, I'm impressed the pictures still work

Quick question, what's the orange goop behind the pads?

Old 09-05-2010, 12:13 AM
I got a little over zealous with the anti brake squeel goo It is time to install another set of pads very soon. I may just go back to stock Brembo pads. Nice video link...thanks

Old 01-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Looks great! Good job!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Project Mu Rotor, Stoptech SS Lines, and Nismo Pad Installation.