Tokico D-Spec

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tokico D-Spec (noise/contact point)

Any one have this problem? Any strut brand for that matter? After searching the thread specifically for a strut clicking I could not find this problem.

I recently install Tokico D-Spec shocks/struts on my car. The clicking is isolated and confirmed to be the big bolt that holds the ear of the shock on the lower arm of the rear shock. It is specifically on the passenger rear. The driver's rear is not making any contact / noise.

When I overtighted this bolt (17 mm) the clicking went away for about 5 days and then it slowly returned. Wear on the strut shows the little "4" round bumps that center and seat the strut/shock on the arm bushing is shifting under a load and "clicks" against the bushing housing (metal to metal contact).

It seems to be worst now with more miles. The clicking only happens when I accelerate or brake and load the suspension. No noise any other time... at any speed if I have already started moving... just the initial load whether braking or accelerating. I can get it to continually click if I pulsate the throttle say in 1st or 2nd gear loading and unloading the suspension... or when I first apply the brakes and load the suspension.

Do you guys think it would hurt anything if I just machined those "4" round bumps off the strut and just aligned it to the arm and put the 17 mm bolt back in and tighten?

Its getting very tempting but didn't know if I would ruin the strut or make more noise with all the load on the 17mm bolt. What are the round bumps for? I mean do they really serve any purpose or just to help the installer get the strut/shock on the bushing?

Any input you guys got would greatly be appreciated!

BTW, I am positive its not the axel clicking... everything seems tight there and this literally started clicking the next hour after strut install... + the overtightening got rid of the noise for 5 days.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by FiveSeven SS190; 11-19-2007 at 12:07 AM.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:47 PM
hmm could u post pics...?

Old 11-18-2007, 11:53 PM
Pic of the 4 "bumps" on shock ears...

Here's a closeup of the rear shock in the bushing all bolted in place... Look at the bumps/nipples above the bolt on shock ears... that's the part contacting the bushing.

Attached Thumbnails Tokico D-Spec-dspec-4-bumps.jpg  
Old 11-18-2007, 11:59 PM
More Pics!

Here are better pics for so you can see what I mean? I believe the front nipples toward front of car... is the ones making contact.

Attached Thumbnails Tokico D-Spec-dspec-problem-1-.jpg   Tokico D-Spec-dspec-problem-2-.jpg   Tokico D-Spec-dspec-problem-3-.jpg  
Old 11-19-2007, 12:08 AM
Hmm... you need to contact the vendor who you got it from they might have some answers if no one can help u here..

Old 11-20-2007, 03:28 PM
i just got mine in today.. i think those looks like for bolts/ screws or w/e because it is like a pre-spot for a screw/bolt to go into i don't see why u couldn't shave it off. it isn't going to hurt it but im not an expert.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by chester
i just got mine in today.. i think those looks like for bolts/ screws or w/e because it is like a pre-spot for a screw/bolt to go into i don't see why u couldn't shave it off. it isn't going to hurt it but im not an expert.
Wish someone knew exactly what they did? Anyone?

Its so tempting to just machine them off... Its definitely the front two nipples that are making contact with the metal housing around the bushing in that arm.

Annoying clicking sound like something is loose... but have double and triple check every screw/bolt/nut underneath the car... its that strut "ear" right in pic...

I'll wait a bit and if I don't hear anyone else jumping in to help... I'll work up the nerves to throw it on the lathe and machine it off... just hope I don't ruin a perfectly good shock for no reason.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:08 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
It's probably the bushing that has failed, not the shock.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
It's probably the bushing that has failed, not the shock.
You know at this point I should just try purchasing a new bushing!! I have inspected it closely with bright lights and do not see any cracks or fatigue stress... it was literally an hour after bolting on the D specs that the noise occurred...

Hmm... you got me thinking maybe I should just replace that bushing.... though like I said, it looks good and didn't make any noise until D specs came on.

Anyone know if this bushing can look good and still cause the noise described above?

I did speak with Tokico rep and master installer at SEMA and they pointed their finger at the upper pillow mount... the thing is there's nothing to move around to make that noise up top and there are only two 12 mm nuts to really tighten... + the nut to on top of strut...

I pulled it apart to check it out anyways... and there were no marks or wear or signs of metal contacting metal like on those nipples... everything was tight and to specs.

Last edited by FiveSeven SS190; 11-20-2007 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:07 PM
wow this can be very frustrating... But i wish i had an answer for you man.. how about taking everything out and re installing it? maybe something didn't go in or w/e but re installing it making sure everything is right.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:06 PM
Chester,

I took it all out and reinstalled the stock struts. Noise went away... I put it back together and a slightly different noise came back. It was louder and easier to get clicking.

Took it in for the TSB and it's gone now. So it must have been my axels per TSB and with the stiffer struts it made it apparent. What frustration ... but that come with our hobby.

Its all fixed. all that fixing down there was just the axel tsb. Just an update for anyone following... that the axel tsb could rear its ugly heads in different ways...

Happy Holidays all!

Old 12-24-2007, 01:08 PM
Chester,

I took it all out and reinstalled the stock struts. Noise went away... I put it back together and a slightly different noise came back. It was louder and easier to get clicking and this time sounded like the axel TSB.

Took it in for the TSB and it's gone now. So it must have been my axels per TSB and with the stiffer struts it made it apparent. What frustration ... but that comes hand in hand with our hobbies.

Its all fixed. all that trouble shooting was just a axel tsb on its way out... Just an update for anyone following... that the axel tsb could rear its ugly heads in different ways...

Happy Holidays all!