Megan Racing BBK: Track Proven A++

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by G35sedan03
yeah that does suck, but i'm not a track person so the little extra weight does not bother me for the price this kit has.

Not trying to stear people away from scotts business or anything, but unsprung weight isn't the same as a "couple" extra pounds as he can tell you the same thing. If your car is a high HP F/I car then no, a couple pounds really isn't anything, but on a N/A V-6 a couple unsprung pounds is a lot.

The wilwoods are less than the megans and they weigh much less. I think they weigh about 15 pounds less than the stocks and thats just the front. Wilwood is a smaller brake company, but they still make quality stuff. I know most nascar budget teams that don't have tons of sponsors use them over the brembos.

-Sean

Old 01-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i know they are lighter than stock, i was looking at the racing brake kits and the arizona z car kit. both use wilwood calipers. i have not found them cheaper than the megan set though. what price are you talking about for all 4 corners?
the arizona z car kit is fairly inexpensive, maybe just as much as the megan kit, but the their kit takes away the parking brake from the rear set.

Last edited by G35sedan03; 01-06-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:23 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have not weighed this BBK, or any BBK, or the stock brake set up for that matter.

I know that ANY 14+" front 13.5" rear rotors, and 6 & 4 POT clalipers IS going to weigh more that the chinsey stock brake kits.... That is rediculous to think otherwise. This Megan Racing BBK is right on par with the same weight as any other BBK of its size.

I do not know where you read that, but I can tell you that it is BS.

Lets please not try to contaminate this thread with hearsay and nonsense.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Until they have been weighed (OE and Megan) and compared, you saying that it's ridiculous to think that the Megan’s should weigh less than the OE is outrageous. The OE is HEAVY! Because you have a shop with G's coming in and have the Megan’s - weigh them. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Also, the topic is "Megan Racing BBK..." Nothing posted so far is off-topic

Old 01-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Alright i got the weights on both...

Stock
Front Calipers weigh approx 15 lbs without pads
Front Rotors weigh 16.5 lbs each

Rear caliper weighs approx 8 lbs w/o pads
Rear Rotor weighs 12 lbs

Total 103 pounds (+- 5 pounds for pads)

Wilwood
Front 6 pot calipers weigh 8 lbs each with pads
Front 13.6 rotors weigh 13 lbs with hat each

Rear 4 pot calipers weigh 5 lbs with pads
Rear 12.9" rear rotor with hat weighs 16 lbs (hat is steel)
Rear 13.6 rear rotor with hat weighs 14 lbs (hat is aluminum)

Total 80 pounds (using aluminum hate in rear)
Total 84 pounds (using steel hate in rear)

Old 01-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dklau33
Scott, I think in the my350z thread you mentioned the pads that come with the kit have a MOT of 650 degs. Is that correct? If it is then that is really low and shouldn't be able to stand up to the heat of track usage, especially they way you guys push the cars. Hawk HPS pads are only about 750 degs and we all know how great those are for the track. I'm not doubting you guys did just fine with these brakes. It's just that the 650 number has me confused. Care to set me straight?
Repeated for Scott to see....

Old 01-09-2008, 07:39 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I noticed an immediate acceleration improvement when I changed my crappy heavy OEM brakes to the ArizonaZCar Willwood 6-pot BBK. They are so much lighter than stock. I was quite suprised at the noticeable improvement.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:23 PM
for the past couple of days i have been calling around. Called wilwood directly and just got 64 lbs for the front kit which was the SL6 caliper (6 pot), 14" rotor and brake lines. the Rear kit was quoted at 32 lbs rotors 13" 4-pot caliper brake pads and brake lines. Nothing specific.

called racing brake, could not get a hold of anyone.

called megan racing. all the dude told me was that the combined weight listed as they ship the entire kit (the one listed here 14" rotors front, 13" rear, 6 pot and 4 pot calipers and brake lines, brake pads, to include the box) 91 lbs. again nothing accurate.

calling directly to the source i thought i would at least get something more accurate. but nothing so far.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by cato
I noticed an immediate acceleration improvement when I changed my crappy heavy OEM brakes to the ArizonaZCar Willwood 6-pot BBK. They are so much lighter than stock. I was quite suprised at the noticeable improvement.
you only did the front brakes right? because if i remember correctly the arizona z rear kit eliminated the parking brake feature right?

Old 01-09-2008, 08:30 PM
you only did the front brakes right? because if i remember correctly the arizona z rear kit eliminated the parking brake feature right?

Old 01-09-2008, 08:30 PM

Old 01-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am going to weigh both the stock brakes and the Megan Racing brakes myself, for everyone probably tomorrow. I can also weigh the AP Racing BBK when we get them off the time attack car to replace the rotors on it.

.....In the meantime can we not clutter up this thread??....lets stay on topic.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:47 PM
any other people getting on the commited list?

Old 01-13-2008, 08:40 AM
less than 3 weeks left on the group buy

Old 01-13-2008, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by wa2good
I am going to weigh both the stock brakes and the Megan Racing brakes myself, for everyone probably tomorrow. I can also weigh the AP Racing BBK when we get them off the time attack car to replace the rotors on it.

.....In the meantime can we not clutter up this thread??....lets stay on topic.
I don't think anyone on here is cluttering up the thread. All of the information that has been provided is atleast relevent to the thread topic.

Anyways, let us know how much they weigh. It should be interesting.

-Sean

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Megan Racing BBK: Track Proven A++