Stability issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stability issues

Hey guys, i don't post that often but I wanted to get your option on an issue I've been noticing with my G.
Over the last few months, my car seems to have become unstable. Meaning, it doesn't seem to ride as tight or grib the ground like it use to. i checked the tires, they seem to check out as I have tread. The car doesnt seem as heavy, nor do I feel the gribbing to the ground feild as I use to have. She just feels unstable when I drive, make turns or anything like that.
I know i need to take it in (out of warranty), but I was trying to get a good "guesstiment" of how much i would be looking at to correct the problem.
Anyone have a good guess what this maybe due from?
mind you, haven't hit anything, tires appear to be par to good, in need of a wheel alignment, I have no structual mods. Any thoughts are appericated.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Even though the tires seem to still have some tread, the problem is most tires after a certain amount of mileage loose there traction/cornering capabilities due to different compounds on the remaining tread.

I would first make sure your tire pressure is correct.
Second, How many miles are on the car/suspension?
could be a worn part, leaking strut/shock etc.

Look for the obvious things first, if you can not correct it, then take it to a wheel/front end place and have them look the car over.

Good Luck

Old 01-10-2008, 12:15 PM
thanks, had the air pressure check about a 1 and half ago, a little better but not like itwas before. 54000 miles
I was thinkingit could be something similar to a worn part or strut...
away to check this, I'm a none automative..

Last edited by brikkman; 01-10-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Go to the dealer but be wary of any BS they throw your way.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:23 PM
And that's my main issue, the BS they are going to try and throw my way.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
You have 54k miles - of course your car isn't going to ride like new. Shocks need to be replaced, your springs now have some wear (though you could get away with keeping them for a while if you don't mind the change in ride), and rubber bushings age and get worn out. To get back to new, you need to replace shocks and springs, and probably replace a few suspension components as well (and the bushings that come with them), though I would start with compression rods and possibly upper a-arms if it's difficult to align.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:17 PM
and I agree, I was just concerned because it happen kind of sudden. I gave it at least a month before I confirmed that I was having an issue. Sounds like some serious work.. DAMNIT..

Old 01-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
You need an alignment. Plain and simple. Go get an alignment, and be amazed. I put my entire checkbook on this matter, that its an alignment issue.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:38 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Replace the shocks with Tokico D-Specs.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Shocks are done by 60k and have very low rebound stiffness, less than half brand new!

Old 01-13-2008, 09:23 AM
I'm hoping its just an alignment issue but I'm also trying to pin down the actual reason so I can tell infiniti to check for that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 90 dollar diagnostic fee is to find the problem no matter what it is correct?
So yes, my instability is coming from the rear. In the rain its terrible but I could just be my fear kicking into gear. My tires check out I guess because I passed inspection the other day and they did not mention need for a tire change in the near future. They did however mention my belts needed changing. So I'm going to say my tires are good. Someone mentioned a bushing issue, something that gives play. Wouldn't that result in a sound?
I'm not hearing any sounds what so ever. I was thinking it may have been the sway bars, but I can't really tell if its the car body frame swaying or the car physicially swaying. I did however notice that I feel high instability when I travel over little hills bumps anything that will cause the car to get a little air...When the rear of the car catches air it seems to point and/or move to the right while the car is pointed forward (if that makes sense). That's why I'm hoping its an alignment issue because it falls right in line with what I read about alignments.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Alignment is probably a good place to start and then you can go from there. You say your tires check out, but how old are they? Even if they have decent tread left, if they are 3+ years old, the rubber hardens over the years and becomes less grippy.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by G35fromPA
Alignment is probably a good place to start and then you can go from there. You say your tires check out, but how old are they? Even if they have decent tread left, if they are 3+ years old, the rubber hardens over the years and becomes less grippy.
That's the thing, they are a little over a year old, maybe 1.5 years old tops. I did the penny guage trick, turns out it was less than 2/32s. I researched that the oem tires come standard with 10/32s.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:22 AM
Also, should my alignment be done at the "stealership" or would I get the same results from a local shop?

Old 01-19-2008, 10:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I am in the chorus; likely alignment. If toe & camber get seriously off, your tire patch shrinks, car feels slightly squirrely. For lack of better description, that would be dangerous as your handling is deteriorating. If a toe or or camber bolt has loosened in the rear you may not see tire wear straight away, but it will feel funny.
Couple that with crappy tires.... well... you are headed for someones statistical column!
Good aligment not cheap, look for a shop with the Hunter Digital Laser Doo-Hickey!. Your local Infiniti dealer likely has one and alignment likely close to $90. Local Nissan dealer who services a healthy 350z population likely has one too. In any event, someone with the sophisticated digital rig won't be $50 for a 4-wheel alignment, but closer to $100. More if the car has been lowered and 3rd party adjustment components added.