G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Brakes & Suspension (https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-suspension-164/)
-   -   Alignment or rack n pinion (https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-suspension/215433-alignment-rack-n-pinion.html)

g35scrub 04-16-2008 01:46 AM

Alignment or rack n pinion

Hello. I just picked up a g35. I have not been under the car yet. Anyways, when i turn the wheels the wheels do not turn the same. One wheel will turn more than the other causing the car not to run straight. Do I need an alignment to fix this? What should I look for when i'm under the car. I'm just trying to get a heads up before going under there.

Thanks in advance.

I hope this is in the right forum.

Skyline_G35 04-16-2008 11:59 AM

When you say you turn the wheels, do you mean the steering wheel or manually turn the wheels while they are off the ground.

If you mean the steering wheel... I'd get that **** checked.

If you mean manually turning the wheels, you might have a bad wheel bearing.

If the car is pulling one way or the other while driving straight, check your air pressure in the tires. If one tire is lower in air pressure, that can cause the car to not track straight.

If the air pressure is the same, check to see how level the road is. Usually to assist in water/rain run off, the roads have been engineered to slope to the right, sooooo, if the car is pulling to the right, then there is your answer.

I hope this helps. If not, maybe, hopefully, you'll get more responses here.

Good luck.

g35scrub 04-16-2008 01:30 PM

Yeah this is when I turn the steering wheel. I'm hoping it's something easy like low fluid or something loose or something that is broken and obvious so I will know atleast where to tackle.

Coastal 04-18-2008 02:46 AM

It's totally normal for the wheels to turn different amounts. (different steering angles)
When you drive in a circle, the inside tire will be doing a smaller circle than the outside one. make sense?
It's referred to as the Ackerman angle.

If your car feels like it's driving strange at all, it won't hurt to get the alignment checked, but if it just looks strange, you're probably OK.

g35scrub 04-18-2008 11:56 AM

im definitely not okay. i can drift at like less than 5 mph. the difference in the two wheel is great.

jdmgee35 04-18-2008 01:58 PM

Yikes, get it checked out asap. Seems like you got a lemon. Has the car been in an accident? Stay safe.

gary c 04-18-2008 02:07 PM

New purchase....!

Did you check with Carfax prior to purchasing the car? Was it a dealership
purchase or did you test drive the car? Sounds like it's unsafe to drive, get
it checked out at a quality alignment shop....ASAP! In most states you have
at least 72 hours to return a purchase....Good Luck with this one!

g35scrub 04-18-2008 04:28 PM

thanks for the heads up guys. Yeah this car shows no sign of an accident. However it is salvage title from vandalism. There are scratches here and there , dents and holes in the seats. haha Well i'm trying to revive this car. I'll find out this weekend what the problem is.

g35scrub 04-19-2008 02:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
you know what. it would help if this rod was straight. hahahah well i'm glad i found the problem.

Coastal 04-19-2008 02:33 PM

Whoa!

That'll do it. :eek: :biggthumpup:
A picture is worth a thousand words.
I'd take that sucker to a shop for an inspection ASAP.
Who knows what else is bent.
That kind of damage doesn't just happen.
Somebody curbed that bitch, or worse.

Skyline_G35 04-25-2008 11:07 AM

I'm glad that you found the problem. :)

tiguy99 06-05-2008 09:46 PM

Hot damn how it bend like that

5150DS 06-05-2008 10:54 PM

The first owner probably wrecked the car, then vandalized it so he could get a new one.

g35scrub 06-06-2008 12:48 PM

Well. I dont' think the car was ever in an accident. It seems like he ran over something that caused it to bend. Anyways car is in a body shop right now for the body work and also the paint. Glacier Frost Mica!!!

5150DS 06-06-2008 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by g35scrub
Well. I dont' think the car was ever in an accident. It seems like he ran over something that caused it to bend. Anyways car is in a body shop right now for the body work and also the paint. Glacier Frost Mica!!!

That would be a traffic collision.