Just installed Cross drilled/Slotted Rotors and Posi Quiet Pads: QUESTIONS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed Cross drilled/Slotted Rotors and Posi Quiet Pads: QUESTIONS

Hi All,

I just installed some R1 Concept Premium Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors with Posi Quiet Extended Wear Brake Pads on my 2006 G35 Coupe 6MT.

Prior to this installation, my car was running on the stock rotor/pad setup with 26,000 miles.

All work was done at a shop in which they reused all existing brake hardware aside from the shims that came with the brake pads and bled the brakes.

Here are some of my observation and questions:

#1. The pads on the box say the are already "scorched" requiring no break in. Does this mean I do not have to "bed" them?

#2. When braking, I can hear the newly installed pads "sliding" on the rotors, is this normal since I have not done any bedding and will it eventually go away?

#3. The initial grip and pedal effort is not what I expected with newly installed rotor/pads. It brakes the same with my oem setup with 26,000 miles on it, if not worse. Will it eventually grip harder and require less pedal effort?

I spent about an hour searching about proper bedding and how Posi Quiet pads were not the greatest in regards to performance but nothing else I found to help me answer my questions.

Any help and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I posted something similar a couple days ago.

My initial impressions are similar to yours. I opted to bed mine because I think it's always the right thing to do. I was surprised that I could not engage the ABS and I thought I might have glazed the pads. The initial bite was awful, but certainly not dangerous. I decided to drive it for a day and see what happened.

The following day I decided to go through the bedding process a 2nd time, but this time tried not to get the brakes quite as hot. I figured if I could get through the glazed layer, then it might save me the time of taking it apart again. Curiously, after the 2nd attempt, the brakes feel good and strong. I can engage the ABS now.

I can also confirm the sound of the brakes sliding on the rotors when applying the brakes. I think these pads just make some noise. Glad to hear that someone else though this was odd enough to mention it.

I have been driving it the past couple of days and the braking performance is fine now. I suspect that I will leave it alone for awhile.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:40 PM
I went through the bedding process and let the brakes cool down for about 15 minutes, no real improvement compared to prior bedding yet.

During the bedding process, I did get a very strong smell so I guess I was doing it right.

I'll check tommorow morning and see if there is any improvement.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:56 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I never did get the Posiquiet pads to grip like I wanted.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want them to grip like a performance brake pad, your best bet is to get performance brake pads. Might I suggest Hawk Pads. They work great.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tran03
Hi All,

I just installed some R1 Concept Premium Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors with Posi Quiet Extended Wear Brake Pads on my 2006 G35 Coupe 6MT.

Prior to this installation, my car was running on the stock rotor/pad setup with 26,000 miles.

All work was done at a shop in which they reused all existing brake hardware aside from the shims that came with the brake pads and bled the brakes.

Here are some of my observation and questions:

#1. The pads on the box say the are already "scorched" requiring no break in. Does this mean I do not have to "bed" them?

#2. When braking, I can hear the newly installed pads "sliding" on the rotors, is this normal since I have not done any bedding and will it eventually go away?

#3. The initial grip and pedal effort is not what I expected with newly installed rotor/pads. It brakes the same with my oem setup with 26,000 miles on it, if not worse. Will it eventually grip harder and require less pedal effort?

I spent about an hour searching about proper bedding and how Posi Quiet pads were not the greatest in regards to performance but nothing else I found to help me answer my questions.

Any help and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

#1- Correct to a certain extent. Take it easy on the brakes for a few miles, IE don't take it to the track and pound on them.

#2- When you have the vehicle jacked up and you turn the wheel by hand, you will hear the pads rubbing. Runout from the rotor is what push's the pads away from the rotor while driving, they are always touching to a certain extent.

#3- depending on the pad compound, that will vary the amount of "bite" you will feel. Keep in mind your posi quiet pads are designed to be quiet, thus not a very aggressive pad.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:33 AM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. I do think some of this has to do with the type of pads that I decided to go with.

Even though they aren't designed to be a performance pad such as the Hawks pads you guys speak of, I do at least expect them to provide OEM feel or even a tad better.

An update from the bedding last night, still not much of a difference. The pedal feels a bit stiffer but still nothing special.

Karma, I don't think I'll punish them beyond the bedding process that was already done.

I spoke to a few members and this is what I got out of this situation of mine:

#1. Some of them said that after a week or so, I'm guessing 300-500 miles later, their brakes begain to feel a bit firmer and provided more "bite"

#2. Hawk/Axxis pads seem to be the more popular brand pads in regards to performance. I have not yet researched brake dust/noise so don't think I mean this as it is the better overall pad.

I'll update this thread as time passes in regards to if these Posi Quiet Pads get any better with the R1 Concept Premium Rotors combination.

Tony

Old 10-18-2008, 05:17 PM
UPDATE: I think the Posi Quiet Pads are going to bite as good as they are designed to.

I might end up changing them out for some Hawk Pads because I would like more bite.

In regards to the R1 Concept Rotors, the hubs came painted so no rusting there. The only rusting I'm seeing is on the rotor face but that is normal as even my OEM rotors rusted.

The inner portion of the rotor (part of the rotor near the hub) is beginning to rust but that is due to the pad not touching the full rotor, I am still on stock caliper/sized pads.

I think I might end up painting the untouched areas of the rotor black so resolve this little issue.

Thanks all for your replies.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:46 PM
Alright guys,

This is from my bit of research on some other brand pads:

Hawk HPS- a lot of people use them, mostly good reviews in regards to pricing/bite.

Axxis- a lot of people use them, not so great on the bite.

Project Mu NS- I know some people have them but I don't know if they are the NS pads or not.

Projfect Mu B Force- I know some people have them but I don't know if they are the B Force pads or not.

Pricing wise, I think http://www.mynismo.com/categories/?id=2311 has some decent pricing.

I'm really interested in changing my Posi Quiets for the Project Mu pads, especially the B Force over the NS's.

Your thoughts guys?