Tein S Techs Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Tein S Techs Install

Hey guys-

So my new S techs arrived yesterday and I'm gonna set aside like 4-5 hours this week or weekend to install these on my 03 sedan. I've looked around and I've found a pretty decent DIY that I'm gonna try to follow: http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Spring_Installation

Hopefully I won't die trying to compress/decompress my springs but as I understand the directions, the two rear springs don't need to really be compressed, only slightly which can be done with a floor jack.

If anyone has a better DIY or has any advice at all for me it would be much appreciated! I'm also getting my roof blacked out (vinyl overlay) this weekend so I'll post picks of how everything worked out. I'm thinking of making a DIY myself of the install for other G sedan owners to use. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL on the install bro...
some advise on the roof overlay though...i had it and it looked bunk, and I painted the roof afterwards...but, see if you like it and if not, then paint is the way to go for sure~

Old 05-05-2009, 05:01 PM
I'm going to this shop recommended by someone who had it done to his IS250. I saw it in person and it looks clean and he told me that it had been on for 2 years. Up close I couldn't tell whether it was paint or vinyl until I asked him. I guess I'll try it out and see how it is, cuz I can always paint later on. Thanks tho!

Old 05-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good luck! Post pictures before and after the drop.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by LyricallySick
Good luck! Post pictures before and after the drop.
Will do

Old 05-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
from my personal experience, the rears took me 5mins each to do.

1) jack up car,
2)remove rear wheel
3) remove ONE bolt for the lower control, and move it down
4)change springs out
5)put the bolt back in, and wheel on
DONE go do the other rear side

fronts are strait forward and i used a spring compressor to change the springs,

If this is you first time just take you time dont rush and DO ALIMENT the next day

good luck!

Old 05-05-2009, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by 6spSEDANFTW!
from my personal experience, the rears took me 5mins each to do.

1) jack up car,
2)remove rear wheel
3) remove ONE bolt for the lower control, and move it down
4)change springs out
5)put the bolt back in, and wheel on
DONE go do the other rear side

fronts are strait forward and i used a spring compressor to change the springs,

If this is you first time just take you time dont rush and DO ALIMENT the next day

good luck!
I heard that I should wait around a week for the springs to settle before getting an alignment. Also, are the front shocks hard to take out? For the fronts, is there a certain way the new spring should be rotated on the OEM shock? Also, I don't have a torque wrench but I can borrow one- would this be a good idea? Thanks a lot!

Old 05-05-2009, 07:45 PM
on average springs take 2-4 weeks to settle, if ur alignment is really messed up u'll just eat away ur tires, and while springs settle it wont affect ur alignment if any. my friends and i did millions of spring and coilover installs, and what not, on all kinds of cars, we never had a problem with alignment and spring settling

as for the fronts its easy as well, just more things to take off, the why i did my fronts:

1) jack up car & remove wheel
2)under the hood unbolt the three bolts
3)remove the speed sensor and the brake line clip
4)unbolt the two bolts that connect the tower strut to the control arm & remove the whole assembly
5)compress spring just slightly ( u dont need much) and using an allen wrench and standard wrench get the top hat off
6) replace springs, u wont need to compress to new spring, just use ur body weight and a buddie to hook the nut on (ull get what im talking about when ur doing it)
7) bolt everything up and start on the other side

as for the proper spring location there's like a special groove were the end of the spring presses against, thats it, its simple just time consuming when u do it for the first time

oh and i personally would NOT worry about torquing all the bolts to factory specs, just do it as hard as u can and just use ur brain ahaha. u gatta think about it, the suspension is the toughest thing on your whole car, its has to absorb everything on the road. Its not built crappy so u will have a super hard time braking a bolt or over tightening a bolt, just dont do it to tight on the clips (i dont remember on top of my head if they are even held by bolts)

its simple man dont worry u'll be fine. the only real hard and VERY important thing is PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE lift ur car the proper way and use jack STANDS, do not leave it on the jack alone. i know too many people that have gotten hurt and i know 2 people personally that lost thier life to a jack failing while they were under the car.

good luck!

Old 05-06-2009, 10:15 AM
did you not get camber kits???

Old 05-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by toymachine2009
did you not get camber kits???
Not yet, I know a lot of people get them, but I was told by a few friends that drops on springs don't require camber kit. I do plan on getting an alignment a few days after I put the springs on (which will be later today BTW). My alignment is already fvcked up and I can only imagine the drop with further fvck it up.

Do I NEED a camber kit on both front and back?

Old 05-06-2009, 03:45 PM
nope a good alignment shop will set u car up perfect without camber kit

Old 05-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Ok.

I'm beginning the install now. Will post pics of the DIY and of the drop either tonight or tomorrow. Thanks guys.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
Whether you need a camber kit or not depends on the amount of drop you have and your desire to get back to OEM specs or not. G35s have zero camber adjustment upfront and only a little in the back.

Good luck on the install man

Old 05-07-2009, 12:29 AM
This site is SOOOO CONTRADICTING.. I have done so much research on this site about these s-tech springs and drop height and camber etc. I have people on this site SWEAR to me you NEEED a camber kit or your screwed. Then i have people TELL me "I have had S-techs on for a year no problems" I get so much contradiction its so hard to get a straight answer. I want to drop my car on S-techs but without camber kit. I hear 20 people say you need camber kit FORSURE and another 20 say you dont need it with a good alignment. PLEASE PLEASE someone with straight answer!!!

Old 05-07-2009, 12:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It all depends on the setup each individual runs. See, you probably didn't get full details on what setup they are running. Majority of the time, you WILL need camber. I mean its up to you, if you like having your tires prematurely wear out, then by all means. Get the camber one time when your getting your springs installed, and save the labor all at once. Spend the extra money now, be safe, and overall save money. Good luck.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tein S Techs Install