Problem installing rear Coilover/Spring need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 08:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Problem installing rear Coilover/Spring need help

I have a 2003 G35 coupe w/ brembo and I have been trying to install my JIC Av2 coilovers last night and came across a huge problem.. the front fits on great as you can see and I don't think I would have a problem with the rear strut, however, I am not sure if I received the wrong set-up for the springs as I can't get the darn thing on.. and there is no instruction manual on JIC's website. I know most rear springs for the G normally comes with a cup like mount and they are normally wider in diameter, while I received a flat mount with a small hole in the center w/ few bolts (I doubt drilling would be necesary) and the spring seems to be smaller in diameter and longer in length (12mm spring rate maybe?). Any Suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails Problem installing rear Coilover/Spring need help-112.jpg   Problem installing rear Coilover/Spring need help-picture034.jpg   Problem installing rear Coilover/Spring need help-picture039.jpg  

Last edited by 350GT-DOT; 06-06-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:50 AM
Comparison between mine for g35 coupe (left) and theG35x (right) for JIC which I believe is the same and correct fit. I could be wrong. Notice my surface is flat and the other has a cup like fitment.

Attached Thumbnails Problem installing rear Coilover/Spring need help-112-copy.jpg   Problem installing rear Coilover/Spring need help-picture005-1.jpg  

Last edited by 350GT-DOT; 06-06-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:53 AM
Comparison with Tein setup (left) for G35 coupe and my JIC setup (right)

Attached Thumbnails Problem installing rear Coilover/Spring need help-80f4b_img_0075.jpg   Problem installing rear Coilover/Spring need help-112.jpg  
Old 06-06-2009, 08:55 AM
Coilover on front after install

Attached Thumbnails Problem installing rear Coilover/Spring need help-2.jpg   Problem installing rear Coilover/Spring need help-up-ramp.jpg  
Old 06-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
Yep. Those are not the right ones. Theres no way for those top spring mounts to sit flush. If you look underneathe where the top mount should go, there are two tabs sticking out which help hold the OEM top pillow mount in place. Like you posted in the comparision pic with the big cup, that clears those.

Good luck. Hope you get the new parts in quickly.

Nice drop in the front btw

Old 06-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Here I searched on my350z and found this. Hope this helps out, but I would call JIC to make sure.

http://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-s...ar-spring.html

You also want to make sure you dont have any slack or the spring can move or even pop out, with will blow your shock.

I would also call JIC and see if there is a new version of the spring/mount you can buy.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Is the purple spring on the left the one your received for the rear? If it is for the rear, I can't see how that would work. It has to be the wrong part.

I don't know about your year coupe, but I would assume your spring should "look" close to how the oem spring is shaped. Here's the rear spring for my setup:

Old 06-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
Unless JIC designed the rear to be a similar design to the front (like KSport coilovers), I'd say san~man is correct. Rear spring should be independent from the strut and fit in the arm.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:26 PM
FLYING - I COULD NOT HAVE DONE THIS WITHOUT YOUR HELP
SAN~MAN - YOUR DIY PROVIDED MUCH INFO FOR THIS SETUP.

1. The spring mount originally came with a hole in the center, so I alligned it with my rear (lower) control arm and drilled a hole.

2. Screw in the bolt that came with the package to tighten the spring mount to the control arm.

3. Fit the spring in place along with the rubber mount that came with the package.

4. The strut was very easy to install, I just had to ensure that I had the height adjusted correctly to allow the spring to sit in place.

I trust that this is very secure and there is absolutely no way that spring could slip out of there with the bolt. After driving I haven't heard any clonking noise or anything.. It sucks that I had to drill a hole in the lower control arm, however it is not noticeable.

Sorry for the fuzzy pictures, but i cant thank you guys enough

Attached Thumbnails Problem installing rear Coilover/Spring need help-01set-up.jpg   Problem installing rear Coilover/Spring need help-3.jpg   Problem installing rear Coilover/Spring need help-4.jpg  
Old 06-06-2009, 06:45 PM
My Finished Product

Attached Thumbnails Problem installing rear Coilover/Spring need help-01ridnlow.jpg   Problem installing rear Coilover/Spring need help-01slamg.jpg   Problem installing rear Coilover/Spring need help-01slammed.jpg  
Old 06-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
No problem man, but like I said make sure there is no slack, because if that spring pops out, it will probably blow your shock.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Its well secured flying.. thanks for the heads up

Old 06-07-2009, 03:50 AM
Cool, I'm glad it worked out for you. I guess I was wrong about the rear spring, but I must say it looks strangely different from the OEM as far as shape and the number of coils.

Glad to be of help.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:53 AM
Wait, is this how you mounted the rear?

Does the rear spring adjustment perch not fit on the top? Look at my pic in my post above.

I originally had it wrong the first time we did my install (a JIC tech over the phone gave us the wrong information and my friend knew it belonged on the top but followed their instructions anyway ). The spring perch should go on top, and the spring should seat in the cup on the lower arm and re-use the rubber oem isolator.

Sorry for the crudeness of paint:

Attached Thumbnails Problem installing rear Coilover/Spring need help-picture044.jpg  

Last edited by E-Ticket Ride; 06-07-2009 at 03:58 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by san~man
Wait, is this how you mounted the rear?

Does the rear spring adjustment perch not fit on the top? Look at my pic in my post above.

I originally had it wrong the first time we did my install (a JIC tech over the phone gave us the wrong information and my friend knew it belonged on the top but followed their instructions anyway ). The spring perch should go on top, and the spring should seat in the cup on the lower arm and re-use the rubber oem isolator.

Sorry for the crudeness of paint:
Yep that is how its sitting right now and based on this forum they (JIC) stated that its the right way for the coupe after reviewing the pics. Confusing, I know but this is what they stated below.

Originally Posted by n1cK!
well, i just spoke to paul over at JIC, and for the OP, what is pictured is the correct way to install the spring. don't use the stock rubber pieces. the rubber ring is to ensure that the spring doesn't pop out so it is necessary. a hole is drilled through the lower spring perch and is bolted down.
Forum Thread here: http://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-s...ar-spring.html

Last edited by 350GT-DOT; 06-07-2009 at 02:44 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Problem installing rear Coilover/Spring need help