spring/shock question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 02:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spring/shock question

I have an 04g cpe with the sports suspension, but I have tein h-techs installed. I feel that the car is too bouncy and dips too much in the turns and stops, so I plan on replacing the struts and shocks. I also feel like the rear springs are too soft so I picked up a complete set of springs from a 07350z. I know the spring rates will be higher, but what I'm not sure of is the drop the Z springs will give me. I plan on installing with either springs are the tokico Dspecs for the Z. Will th h-techs feel better with the stiffer shocks? Thanks

Old 06-17-2009, 03:05 AM
i would also like to know. are you planning to pair the Htechs with the tokico shocks or the 07 350Z springs?

im looking to either replace my shocks and get a set of springs that drop an inch (for camber reasons) OR just get coils. obviously initial costs and long term costs will factor into my decision.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:20 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by fast04G
I have an 04g cpe with the sports suspension, but I have tein h-techs installed. I feel that the car is too bouncy and dips too much in the turns and stops, so I plan on replacing the struts and shocks. I also feel like the rear springs are too soft so I picked up a complete set of springs from a 07350z. I know the spring rates will be higher, but what I'm not sure of is the drop the Z springs will give me. I plan on installing with either springs are the tokico Dspecs for the Z. Will th h-techs feel better with the stiffer shocks? Thanks
Your 04 coupe has a "sport tuned" suspension, not the sports suspension which has stiffer shocks, a stiffer front sway bar and stiffer rear springs and is only on 2005 and beyond coupe's delivered on oem 19" wheels.

The Z springs should drop the car .5", simular to the G35 H-tech setup your running now. And yes with the Z spring setup you bought having 427lbs rear spring rates, they are stiffer in the rear. Adding that with the 350Z D-specs shorter rear shocks, will help prevent you from getting secondary ride quality issues related to frequent bump stop contact.

Tein H-tech G35 (fronts are progressive, rears are linear) coupe drop .6"/.3"
Spring rates in lbs 324/260

If you were to install the D-specs with the H-tech springs and as long as your set the shocks to 4 or higher off of full soft you will get benefits of greater shock stiffness. Less brake dive, less squat on throttle tip in and better turn in. But, you'll still have body roll just the same once the suspension takes a set at which point it's all about spring stiffness and sway bar stiffness. IMO, install the Z springs and the D-specs together.

Getting decent mild drop springs has been a issue for the coupe and sedan since day one. Not everyone want's a large drop or spring rates that are either softer then oem or barely stiffer.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Your 04 coupe has a "sport tuned" suspension, not the sports suspension which has stiffer shocks, a stiffer front sway bar and stiffer rear springs and is only on 2005 and beyond coupe's delivered on oem 19" wheels.

The Z springs should drop the car .5", simular to the G35 H-tech setup your running now. And yes with the Z spring setup you bought having 427lbs rear spring rates, they are stiffer in the rear. Adding that with the 350Z D-specs shorter rear shocks, will help prevent you from getting secondary ride quality issues related to frequent bump stop contact.

Tein H-tech G35 (fronts are progressive, rears are linear) coupe drop .6"/.3"
Spring rates in lbs 324/260

If you were to install the D-specs with the H-tech springs and as long as your set the shocks to 4 or higher off of full soft you will get benefits of greater shock stiffness. Less brake dive, less squat on throttle tip in and better turn in. But, you'll still have body roll just the same once the suspension takes a set at which point it's all about spring stiffness and sway bar stiffness. IMO, install the Z springs and the D-specs together.

Getting decent mild drop springs has been a issue for the coupe and sedan since day one. Not everyone want's a large drop or spring rates that are either softer then oem or barely stiffer.

So ill roughly get the same drop the Z springs as the htechs. Sweetness. And yes I plan on installing the Z springs with the Z dspecs, and prolly set them on 4 or 5. And I will upgrade the swaybars also. Thanks very much for the clarification!