Tanabe Pro S-OC Coilover Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I was there. The long beach one right?

Old 01-13-2010, 02:24 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Nice review, Mike. I especially like how you can compare it to the Eibach's. How's the car with quick L/R transitions?

Also, another quick Q, if i may:

then to adjust, you need to basically remove, adjust and re-install…

When you say remove, are you referring to the whole assembly? Or a passive reference to removing the wheels? Granted, a 2nd gen may be different, but if it is the former, can it be adjusted without removal of the assembly?

Thanks!

Old 01-13-2010, 02:42 PM
Wings Nation

Received 626 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
jeah, i remember seeing you there

Old 01-13-2010, 02:52 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
Nice review, Mike. I especially like how you can compare it to the Eibach's. How's the car with quick L/R transitions?

Also, another quick Q, if i may:

then to adjust, you need to basically remove, adjust and re-install…

When you say remove, are you referring to the whole assembly? Or a passive reference to removing the wheels? Granted, a 2nd gen may be different, but if it is the former, can it be adjusted without removal of the assembly?

Thanks!
l/r transitions are much more controlled to what I've had before - the car overall is more surefooted! since it's linear (and of course much stiffer) the car doesn't hunch & roll... hard turns are very good

As for adjustments - we weren't able to turn the collars freely without removal (rear primarily)...

Old 01-13-2010, 02:53 PM
wtf? did I see you???

Old 01-13-2010, 02:58 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Ya lol. I came and said hi to everyeone when you, Tim and some other members were hanging out behind Tim's car with chairs and stuff...

Old age stuff kicking in?

Old 01-13-2010, 03:07 PM
Ya lol. I came and said hi to everyeone when you, Tim and some other members were hanging out behind Tim's car with chairs and stuff...

Old age stuff kicking in?
I guess so... so many people that day (with the raffle)...

Old 03-04-2010, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump for an Updated Detailed Review, Please...

You had said that Adjusting Ride Height is a PITA & the Ride Quality isn't as Comfy from your Previous Setups, so how's the Ride Height & Comfort Level holding up? Also, if you would go with a Different Coilover, which one would that be for better ease in Adjusting & a more Comfortable Quality Ride?

Old 03-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by AboostedG
Bump for an Updated Detailed Review, Please...

You had said that Adjusting Ride Height is a PITA & the Ride Quality isn't as Comfy from your Previous Setups, so how's the Ride Height & Comfort Level holding up? Also, if you would go with a Different Coilover, which one would that be for better ease in Adjusting & a more Comfortable Quality Ride?
its a "sporty" ride - not as cush as OEM non-sport or Eibach Pro and Sportline that I've used - but those springs are much softer and roll in cornering... the spring rates with these coil-overs are firm enough to handle real well in spirited cornering, not not so jarring that you couldn't handle a road trip...

As for adjustment, the collar can not be turned (without extreme force) while mounted, so basically you need to measure (or count threads) then remove, adjust and reinstall...

I can't really address what other coil-overs would be better, as I've never used any others... but based on research I was initially leaning towards KW V3. I am more concerned with handling than ride comfort though, as I dont drive this car much.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:29 AM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
good read, thanks Mike. these are def on the short list

Old 07-27-2010, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
Edited first post with this:

*12/5/09 Edit: Got car aligned today - and re-adjusted ride height... I have slight @ss squat so I'll probably drop the front a little more (or maybe bring the rear up a tiny bit). Ride quality at this setting is very nice - similar to Eibach Pro. Its amazing how much ride height affects ride quality (even with same suspension). Will go much lower than this - but for now, I like this height (comfort, handling and not nearly as much scraping/rubbing).
crappy camera phone pics again:
how much is the drop in this picture?...i really like the height...

Old 08-24-2010, 11:22 AM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
l/r transitions are much more controlled to what I've had before - the car overall is more surefooted! since it's linear (and of course much stiffer) the car doesn't hunch & roll... hard turns are very good

As for adjustments - we weren't able to turn the collars freely without removal (rear primarily)...
Does this hold true for other coilover setups as well? and are you saying you only have to remove the rear to re-adjust and not the fronts??

Old 08-25-2010, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by VatosLocos35
how much is the drop in this picture?...i really like the height...
Thanks - I'm not sure how many inches from ground (never measured) - it's barely lower than top of tire on 245/40/19 which according to this chart: http://www.wheelcityusa.com/tires/chart.htm is 26.72" (so maybe 26.5" from wheel well apex to ground?)... but they are adjustable and have plenty more clearance each way (up/down).

Originally Posted by viceversa
Does this hold true for other coilover setups as well? and are you saying you only have to remove the rear to re-adjust and not the fronts??
AFAIK there are others that can be adjusted while on car... these have a tool/wrench specifically designed for the adjuster collar, and theoretically can be used while on car - but it was very, very difficult and slightly marred the surface (plus it was taking forever), so taking them off to adjust was easier and made more sense. The fronts were easier to adjust while on car.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
Mike ur alive!!! good to know, i really miss ur weekly battles w/Jeff...

Old 08-25-2010, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by SDGenius
Mike ur alive!!! good to know, i really miss ur weekly battles w/Jeff...
still around Mark - just dont contribute much anymore... I dont miss the Jeff stuff (nor do I miss some of the other stuff that goes on)...

I'll probably see you at Riverside Infiniti and/or Sedan Meet (not sure yet about which/both/any)...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tanabe Pro S-OC Coilover Review