Cross drilled/vented discs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 10:42 PM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha yea after my brakes were smoking, I think so!

Old 02-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not to be off topic but i have a set of stillen cross drilled/slotted gold hub rotors in almost new condition. they have about 3000 miles on them. i also have gold oem calipers. im just asking 200$ for the rotors+ shipping. and 150$ for the calipers + shipping. (both are non brembo) 03-04 brakes i believe. just Pm me if interested. worked great for me. -upgraded to BBK

Old 02-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by caLvin
Can't speak for your rotors, but Hawks are notorious for their sh!tty bite. The reason most people get them is b/c they are low dust.

As Tex said: slotted - yes; drilled - no. They say drilled rotors help with cooling, but their real purpose is to save weight as the sacrifice of...well, you saw the pic Tex posted.
I've got Hawk HPS on right now and had them on my last car. Not sure why you all get crappy cold weather performance as I see none of those problems. Maybe they weren't bedded in properly.......

Old 02-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
best deal around

http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=2122

They have been perfect for me for 2 years and still going strong

Old 02-01-2010, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by GAU-8
I've got Hawk HPS on right now and had them on my last car. Not sure why you all get crappy cold weather performance as I see none of those problems. Maybe they weren't bedded in properly.......
Mine were bedded in properly. I went through various pads and the hawks were the worst when cold. When hot though they were great.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:01 AM
I can stop on a dime and give you a nickel back no matter what time of day. Not calling B.S. but I've not had a single issue. This is on stock rotors (the G) and C-D/slots from iRotors on my last car.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:54 AM
I can stop on a dime and give you a nickel back no matter what time of day. Not calling B.S. but I've not had a single issue. This is on stock rotors (the G) and C-D/slots from iRotors on my last car.
It's not about stopping on a dime, even the worst of pads can lock up the tires on a panic stop. We are talking about pedal feel and initial bite.

I'm sure you car can stop great even when cold, but when you heat up your brakes it probably FEELS better. I like to have this pedal feel even when the pad is cold and quite frankly, the oem pads do a great job.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:57 AM
Ok, I'm by no means an inexperienced driver. I assume you think that by your reply. I've been driving for over 20 years now. I've studied and have a fair understanding of pad compositions compared to certain types of use. I'm not saying the car locks up fine even when cold. I feel very little change in pedal feel from initial startup to hard use. I've auto-x'd with these pads on my Redline and noticed very little change. They heat cycled brilliantly for what I needed them to do. They wore modestly. They provided little to no dust. They didn't eat up my rotors. The OEM pads on this car were noisy, dusty, and didn't have that "mojo" that these pads boast. That is my opinion. Maybe I did something to them that others didn't. We're comparing too many unknown variables. It sounds like people here are bad mouthing the pads and quite frankly I ran into the exact opposite. The OP wanted info and I'm giving him the other side of the perspective.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Ok, I'm by no means an inexperienced driver. I assume you think that by your reply. I've been driving for over 20 years now. I've studied and have a fair understanding of pad compositions compared to certain types of use. I'm not saying the car locks up fine even when cold. I feel very little change in pedal feel from initial startup to hard use. I've auto-x'd with these pads on my Redline and noticed very little change. They heat cycled brilliantly for what I needed them to do. They wore modestly. They provided little to no dust. They didn't eat up my rotors. The OEM pads on this car were noisy, dusty, and didn't have that "mojo" that these pads boast. That is my opinion. Maybe I did something to them that others didn't. We're comparing too many unknown variables. It sounds like people here are bad mouthing the pads and quite frankly I ran into the exact opposite. The OP wanted info and I'm giving him the other side of the perspective.
Well, one thing to take into consideration is what type of brake setup do you have? People with 03-04 setups might experience worse cold braking than the oem setup. People with 05-07 might experience differently. I have no idea which you have.

My experience isn't even from a G, it's from my 2005 GTI 1.8T. The oem setup on a GTI is pretty good in size and stopping power considering it's light weigh, yet the oem pads did a much better job at braking than the hawks did in every condition except for high heat conditions ( they resisted fade very well ).

Either way, it's all about opinions. A lot of people review the hawks as weak when cold, some review it just fine ( such as yourself ). I guess we all have different taste.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:47 PM
B T
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've had Brembo cross-drilled and sometimes cross-drilled / slotted rotors on every car I've owned in the past 8 years with nary a problem. I think that picture may reflect a poor design. Holes are too close to the edge and improper material selection are likely the culprits. Many manufacturers make drilled and slotted rotors for looks only and hence are not suited to handle the stresses of high performance braking.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by GT-ER
Well, one thing to take into consideration is what type of brake setup do you have? People with 03-04 setups might experience worse cold braking than the oem setup. People with 05-07 might experience differently. I have no idea which you have.

My experience isn't even from a G, it's from my 2005 GTI 1.8T. The oem setup on a GTI is pretty good in size and stopping power considering it's light weigh, yet the oem pads did a much better job at braking than the hawks did in every condition except for high heat conditions ( they resisted fade very well ).

Either way, it's all about opinions. A lot of people review the hawks as weak when cold, some review it just fine ( such as yourself ). I guess we all have different taste.
I see your point. Wasn't trying to argue. By the way. '06 Sedan non-sport.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:10 PM
I see your point. Wasn't trying to argue. By the way. '06 Sedan non-sport.
It might make sense. 03-04 pads are very grippy ( and very dusty ) with light pedal pressure vs. 05-07 pads at the same pressure ( something I immediately noticed when I upgraded ). 05-07 brakes will eventually overpower the 03-04 setup though due to rotor size and piston area. Maybe the hawks won't make much of a difference in cold braking vs. the oem 05-07 pads because the oem pads are similar to begin with. 03-04 people might notice a much bigger difference though.

I've been dying to try out the ebc yellowstuff.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I tried the "green stuff" pad and they worked great, but eat rotors like candy.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
installing my czp drilled/slotted rotors in about 12 hours.. ive had the stoptech drilled.slotted on my wrx with no problems whatsoever

Old 02-04-2010, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by myroncuz
installing my czp drilled/slotted rotors in about 12 hours.. ive had the stoptech drilled.slotted on my wrx with no problems whatsoever
If it took you any longer you'da been going in reverse!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cross drilled/vented discs